What is the "Hook"?

e-man

The following is a partial excerpt from the coming final installment of The Propetic Road to Revelation Part IV: The War of Gog/Magog. I hope this helps with the understanding of this passage.
Sean, so by the quote above, do you mean the hook might not be bait? You mention the ring in the nose. Do you mean that the nations may not really want to go to war, but feel obligated to do so for some reason (revenge for an Israeli attack on Iran, for example)?

Eco

Another view submitted for your consideration,

Ezekiel 38 said:
Ezekiel 38:2-4
2 "Son of man, set your face toward Gog, of the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal, and prophesy against him 3 and say, Thus says the Lord GOD: Behold, I am against you, O Gog, chief prince of Meshech and Tubal. 4 And I will turn you about and put hooks into your jaws, and I will bring you out, and all your army, horses and horsemen, all of them clothed in full armor, a great host, all of them with buckler and shield, wielding swords.
Hooks
H2397
חחי חח
châch châchîy
khawkh, khakh-ee'
From the same as H2336; a ring for the nose (or lips): - bracelet, chain, hook.

From these verses, we can understand two significant facts about this coming conflict.
1) God is against Gog. God does not simply turn his back on people who do not deserve it, and even then He extends His grace far beyond what you or I would. So obviously, this man, Gog, has done something pretty harsh in order to cause God to be against him whether this was one single act against Israel, or many many acts over the course of Gog's rule.
2) It is God who is pulling Gog's hoard out. No matter what evil Gog is doing, and thinks he is doing according to his will, it is actually God who caused Gog to become so inflamed as to do this.

As you can see from the definition of 'hooks' that I posted above, it can indeed be referred to as a nose ring, as Sean had suggested. In ancient cultures, piercings and jewelry were considered signs of a persons great wealth. Typically, Kings and higher up figures were the only ones who could afford to ornament their noses, or really their bodies in general.

Because of this, I'm interpreting this to say that the hooks that are placed in Gog & companies jaws is something they place a huge amount of importance on. Since the decline of the soviet union (and perhaps before...I don't know my Russian history extremely well) they have been trying to control the middle eastern flow of oil. That was one of the reasons they invaded Georgia around the '08 Olympics. Recently, Israel discovered an oil well under her that is of "Historic Proportions." A few weeks after this oil-well was tapped and estimated, the surveyors came back and said that what they had discovered could only be about 60% of the actual amount of oil that exists under Israel.

Ezekiel 38 said:
Ezekiel 38: 8-13
8 After many days you will be mustered. In the latter years you will go against the land that is restored from war, the land whose people were gathered from many peoples upon the mountains of Israel, which had been a continual waste. Its people were brought out from the peoples and now dwell securely, all of them. 9 You will advance, coming on like a storm. You will be like a cloud covering the land, you and all your hordes, and many peoples with you. 10 "Thus says the Lord GOD: On that day, thoughts will come into your mind, and you will devise an evil scheme 11 and say, 'I will go up against the land of unwalled villages. I will fall upon the quiet people who dwell securely, all of them dwelling without walls, and having no bars or gates,' 12 to seize spoil and carry off plunder, to turn your hand against the waste places that are now inhabited, and the people who were gathered from the nations, who have acquired livestock and goods, who dwell at the center of the earth. 13 Sheba and Dedan and the merchants of Tarshish and all its leaders will say to you, 'Have you come to seize spoil? Have you assembled your hosts to carry off plunder, to carry away silver and gold, to take away livestock and goods, to seize great spoil?'
Because of this passage, I feel safe in my assumption that the hook that God causes to imbue Gog is Israel's discovery of wealth. As time goes on, Israel may discover even more oil, or yet another significant economic 'item' that causes them great wealth. In Gog's view, the wealth of Israel is his primary purpose for attacking. They have something he wants, and he devises such a great army that no man can stop him.

Also noteworthy is the fact that Israel is unwalled, and living in comfort and rest. The word used for rest is this:
H8252
שׁקט
shâqaṭ
shaw-kat'
A primitive root; to repose (usually figuratively): - appease, idleness, (at, be at, be in, give) quiet (-ness), (be at, be in, give, have, take) rest, settle, be still.

This word can have two meanings, and both of them can be used at the same time in describing this. Israel will either be appeasing it's enemies, thus feeling safe, or will actually be at rest. Perhaps both. Maybe, for a short spell Israel will have actually given it's neighbors something so valuable they won't attack Israel for the time being.

Ezekiel 38 said:
Ezekiel 38: 14-16
14 "Therefore, son of man, prophesy, and say to Gog, Thus says the Lord GOD: On that day when my people Israel are dwelling securely, will you not know it? 15 You will come from your place out of the uttermost parts of the north, you and many peoples with you, all of them riding on horses, a great host, a mighty army. 16 You will come up against my people Israel, like a cloud covering the land. In the latter days I will bring you against my land, that the nations may know me, when through you, O Gog, I vindicate my holiness before their eyes.
In any case, no matter what the cause of Gog's attack, God makes it clear that this altercation between Israel and many will be to "vindicate His holiness."

Sean Osborne

Sean, so by the quote above, do you mean the hook might not be bait? You mention the ring in the nose. Do you mean that the nations may not really want to go to war, but feel obligated to do so for some reason (revenge for an Israeli attack on Iran, for example)?
e-man,

Yes, correct. There is not just one "hook" - there are definitely more than one. And those several "hooks" are not "bait" -- they are devices for the execution of the Lord's judgment upon those nations.

God had from ancient times made the determination to nathan chach (set rings, hooks) into Gog/Magog and ALL of those nations to execute His Divine judgment of near total destruction (5/6ths) upon the entirety of that confederation of nations.

There is no "bait" per se, there is the introduction in Ez. 38:10 of an ra machashabah (an evil thought or evil plan). That ra machashabah is the coveting of Israel's massive and newly acquired wealth (very probably the result of Isaiah 17, Psalm 83, et al). There is also the newly established military reality of that coming time when Israel will live in total security and fear no nation on earth.

Last edited:

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
e-man,

Yes, correct. There is not just one "hook" - there are definitely more than one. And those several "hooks" are not "bait" -- they are devices for the execution of the Lord's judgment upon those nations.

God had from ancient times made the determination to nathan chach (set rings, hooks) into Gog/Magog and ALL of those nations to execute His Divine judgment of near total destruction (5/6ths) upon the entirety of that confederation of nations.

There is no "bait" per se, there is the introduction in Ez. 38:10 of an ra machashabah (an evil thought or evil plan). That ra machashabah is the coveting of Israel's massive and newly acquired wealth (very probably the result of Isaiah 17, Psalm 83, et al). There is also the newly established militarily reality of that coming time when Israel will live in total security and fear no nation on earth.
I agree with you, brother. And it is such a privilege to live in these times and to see everything beginning to line up just as our God said it would.

Sean Osborne

mattfivefour,

Yes, indeed brother! I find it utterly amazing to read these prophetic texts in English and then to analyze them within the context of the original and specific Hebrew words the Lord gave His prophets. Ezekiel is absolutely fascinating and sooooo specific that there will be no question - no mistake whatsoever - among the "heathen" nations that God alone has done this thing.

I get the distinct sense from the Spirit in this study that there will be souls harvested from those "heathen" nations and population who recognize His Divine judgments here, and that this war occurs prior to both the Harpazo/Rapture and, obviously, the Tribulation.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
I get the distinct sense from the Spirit in this study that there will be souls harvested from those "heathen" nations and population who recognize His Divine judgments here
And we are already seeing those souls being harvested. But there are many, many, MANY more to come. Praise God for His goodness to the children of men ... who makes them the children of God when we turn in repentance and accept His sacrifice for our sin.

Jumpmaster

There are several reasons why Russia might become "hooked" and pulled into the fight with Israel:

(1) Oil and World Dominance. Russia has always wanted to rule as much of the world as it could, and the way to do that now is through the world's need of oil. The more oil that the Russians control; the more influence Russia has with the rest of the world.

(2) Money and Contracts. Russia has billions in contracts with Iran, Syria and other Islamic countries. Some of those billions are the nuclear reactors that Russian scientists are working on in Iran, and then there are weapons sales to Iran, Syria and other countries. If these contracts were threatened in anyway, they could become the hook or part of it.

and if a bunch of Russian scientists and workers were killed in an IDF strike.......

(3) A Warm Water Port. Russia has wanted a warm water port in the ME for some time. The hook could possibly involve promise of that port in/or around Israel if the Islamic countries are victorious against Israel.

These are a few of the possibilities that I could think of right off hand. I'm sure that there are more. At least part of that hook is supernatural in nature.
Just think about the pogroms that Russia conducted against the Jews in the early 1900s, and of course, there is the Holocaust that Germany committed against the Jews. Both examples are the supernatural hatred that the devil has against God's chosen people.
Jumpmaster

DavidTR

mattfivefour,

I get the distinct sense from the Spirit in this study that there will be souls harvested from those "heathen" nations and population who recognize His Divine judgments here...
Thats the point. Many get harvested. No secret.

bluejay87

Great topic for discussion and many great answers. What if the "hooks" refer to opportunities that cant be resisited. Once in a lifetime chance to wipe Israel off the map. Ezekeil also describes evil thoughts will come upon Israels enemies. When I read the entire context I see hooks as an irresitible bait that Russia and their Arab partners simply cant refuse. As others have said, to gain oil ports, or natural gas, or pipelines, and control of Jerusalem. This also has to happen when Israel has a false sense of security and their posts are unmanned. That certainly isnt now.

So when will Israel have a sense of security? I believe that to be only when they are protected as part of the final league of the "10" mentioned in the book of Daniel. I personally do not ever see Israel having a sense of security until they are part of a larger group.

I would expect all this happen after the rapture, but who knows for sure.

Faith

Two unfullfilled wars is: Ezekiel 38 & 39 and Psalms 83

I, also, believe Russia (Moscow, Turkey,Ethiopia, Libya, German, Austria, and Central Asia) will align themselves with Iran.

Absent is Egypt and Iraq.

Ezekiel was writing the prophecy in Babylon so we would have to expect that neither Egypt nor Iraq will participate.

The hook will be 'hatred' for Israel,and their oil.

It's possible that 'God' himself puts the hook in them to lead them toward Israel.

Why would God do this?

39:21 I shall set My glory among the nations; and all the nations will see My judgment

39:22 The house of Israel will know that I am the Lord their God.

39:29 I shall have poured out My Spirit on the house of Israel

These events will not oly be a judgment of Israel's enemies in which God says those who bless Israel he will bless, and those who curse Israel he will curse.

This event will also be the beginning of a great spiritual revival.

God will shake His people out of spiritual apathy to realize there is a God in heaven.

He will shake people who are following false religions and turn them to Himself.

Because of our satellite technology, I believe the world will be able to watch.

Now I do believe the Church will already be raptured out because God will be turning back to His people, Israel, because the Church is gone.

Some Bible teachers believe Psalms 83 (where Damascus is destroy) will happen first because Syria is not mention in Ezekiel 38 & 39 War.

I just hope and pray the Church will not be here when these wars happen~

Thanks Faulty

budgolf

I brought this up in another post, but I believe the "hook" could very well be right in front of our eyes.

This is the Bushehr nuclear reactor on the Iranian coast. The areas I've outlined in yellow are two communities that house the workers at the reactor and their families. The communities are overwhelmingly Russian. No one knows the exact number, but judging by the physical boundaries and the number of dwellings/buildings, the numbers of people living there could be substantial.

We may not agree with Russia at the moment, but what they are doing is legal. Israel bombs this place and others like it and kills scores of Russian civilians who are their legally? It's all the excuse Russia needs to hit Gods chosen people. And they would have the support of most of if not all of the world.