What is the "Hook"?

Faulty

I'm new here so forgive me if this is an established topic here, but I've always faound a part of this verse perplexing:

Ezekiel 38:4 "And I will turn thee back, and put hooks into thy jaws, and I will bring thee forth, and all thine army, horses and horsemen, all of them clothed with all sorts of armour, even a great company with bucklers and shields, all of them handling swords"

I can't help but relate this to fishing. When a fish is hooked in their mouth, they are unwillingly dragged into the boat. Does this mean these nations come against Israel unwillingly or unprepared? That perhaps a circumstance will force this reaction?

If so, I wonder what that circumstance could be.

cvat

I believe hook to mean: Russia in this case will be so tempted by something that makes them attack Israel. I've heard that Russia wants the land that Israel has for strategic positions. Also heard it could be about Oil and oil pipelines. Or last, they will come to the aid of their allies in war.
Others can provide better answers I'm sure.
Edit: One thing is for sure. God is in control and will 'hook' Russia.

Faulty

I've thought of that but those are actions based in greed. A fish does not come to the boat motivated by greed, it's pulled against its will.

Something happens that forces this response. Perhaps a move by Israel? A reaction required by treaty? Maybe Isaiah 17:1 is fulfilled and Damascus is destroyed, so these nations have to respond quickly, but they could see Damascus was destroyed by nuclear weaponry, and don't desire to engage in that fight. They become fish pulled to the boat. That seems more plausable to me based on the wording of the verse.

I had thought also that maybe Russia is pulled because of the destruction of Damascus. Hmmmmmmm...........

WKUHilltopper

It could mean...Russia does not want to attack, but feels compelled to in order to protect it's interest or honor or something like this. Could be the alliances Russia has with Iran and other countries (Syria, Turkey, etc) whines and moans about attacking Israel so much to Russia, Russia feels like it has to to keep their buddies happy. "But you promised to help us "defend" against our enemies--OK, OK, I give in, I'll invade Israel with you". Thus "hooks" dragging the Russians into it. These "hooks" will be painful for Russia to do it (probably because other alliances--non-Arab, NATO, etc--will complain and they'll lose reputation with the world as they're massing their troops) and possibly, deep down--they know what they're doing against God and that causes them the pain of fret and worry about the ramifications.

I always interpreted "hooks" as something causing them or forcing them to do it reluctantly. In other words "dragging them into the conflict". Like a leash on a dog who doesn't want to come in the house--you drag them in by the leash. Much the same way I think Russia will be dragged into a war with Israel.

light4mypath

My Redeemer Lives!
I've thought of that but those are actions based in greed. A fish does not come to the boat motivated by greed, it's pulled against its will.
Not if the fish is hungry. Try sprinkling fish food in the water and just watch them get into a frenzy over the pellets.....

Russia is very very hungry.......

Faulty

Not if the fish is hungry. Try sprinkling fish food in the water and just watch them get into a frenzy over the pellets.....

Russia is very very hungry.......
I understand your point, believe me. Here's where I have a problem with it though.

Hunger is a cause to grab at the bait on the hook, but the verse doesn't say they 'become hooked' because they are hungry for something. It says the Lord puts the the hook in their jaws Himself, then leads them around with it. I have difficulty placing hunger as a motive here.

light4mypath

My Redeemer Lives!
I understand your point, believe me. Here's where I have a problem with it though.

Hunger is a cause to grab at the bait on the hook, but the verse doesn't say they 'become hooked' because they are hungry for something. It says the Lord puts the the hook in their jaws Himself, then leads them around with it. I have difficulty placing hunger as a motive here.
I see your point. Power/Greed could be the reason for the hunger.

When a fish has the food in its mouth, even when on a hook, they don't spit it out.....they will also eat when they aren't hungry, due to their greediness.

Faulty

I see your point. Power/Greed could be the reason for the hunger.

When a fish has the food in its mouth, even when on a hook, they don't spit it out.....they will also eat when they aren't hungry, due to their greediness.
Point taken. Thanks.

Suzanne

There are several reasons why Russia might become "hooked" and pulled into the fight with Israel:

(1) Oil and World Dominance. Russia has always wanted to rule as much of the world as it could, and the way to do that now is through the world's need of oil. The more oil that the Russians control; the more influence Russia has with the rest of the world.

(2) Money and Contracts. Russia has billions in contracts with Iran, Syria and other Islamic countries. Some of those billions are the nuclear reactors that Russian scientists are working on in Iran, and then there are weapons sales to Iran, Syria and other countries. If these contracts were threatened in anyway, they could become the hook or part of it.

(3) A Warm Water Port. Russia has wanted a warm water port in the ME for some time. The hook could possibly involve promise of that port in/or around Israel if the Islamic countries are victorious against Israel.

These are a few of the possibilities that I could think of right off hand. I'm sure that there are more. At least part of that hook is supernatural in nature.
Just think about the pogroms that Russia conducted against the Jews in the early 1900s, and of course, there is the Holocaust that Germany committed against the Jews. Both examples are the supernatural hatred that the devil has against God's chosen people.

e-man

These "hooks" will be painful for Russia to do it (probably because other alliances--non-Arab, NATO, etc--will complain and they'll lose reputation with the world as they're massing their troops) and possibly, deep down--they know what they're doing against God and that causes them the pain of fret and worry about the ramifications.
Russia has made it clear that they are the polar opposite of NATO. Russia (Putin) also believes itself to be the force that keeps NATO in check. That was part of the reason for the invasion of Georgia. It was a signal to the Balkans, to Ukraine and others that NATO can't (or is unwilling to as in the case of Georgia) be able to keep Russia at bay, so they better not even think of joining up.

Personally, I think Russia already has the hook. It's the wanting to be great. Putin remembers the glory days of the USSR, of being a threat to contend with. That's what he wants, and that could be the hook. They have Europe on a tight leash as it is, because of the energy situation. They want to be able to exert their force throughout the whole region. I don't think it would take too much belly aching by Syria and Iran for Russia to help make the move. If the U.S. still has any world influence when it happens, then it would make sense, because Russia considers the U.S. its greatest threat, so it could help make the move on Israel as a warning to the U.S. just mho anyway.

ezekiel 38:4 may have something to do with the nations that will come out of the old roman empire. boone pickens says oil will go up to $300.00 a barrel, it may be like someone else said a pipeline but more likely it will revolve around oil.brother john hagee reports that due too a record lack of rain in isreal over the last few years has left the dead sea is at its lowest water level ever, isreal now has the worlds largest stock pile of sodium cloride its what is laying in the bottom of the dead sea! i don`t know what sodium cloride is used for but this too may come into play

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
There are several reasons why Russia might become "hooked" and pulled into the fight with Israel:

(1) Oil and World Dominance. Russia has always wanted to rule as much of the world as it could, and the way to do that now is through the world's need of oil. The more oil that the Russians control; the more influence Russia has with the rest of the world.

(2) Money and Contracts. Russia has billions in contracts with Iran, Syria and other Islamic countries. Some of those billions are the nuclear reactors that Russian scientists are working on in Iran, and then there are weapons sales to Iran, Syria and other countries. If these contracts were threatened in anyway, they could become the hook or part of it.

(3) A Warm Water Port. Russia has wanted a warm water port in the ME for some time. The hook could possibly involve promise of that port in/or around Israel if the Islamic countries are victorious against Israel.

These are a few of the possibilities that I could think of right off hand. I'm sure that there are more. At least part of that hook is supernatural in nature.
Just think about the pogroms that Russia conducted against the Jews in the early 1900s, and of course, there is the Holocaust that Germany committed against the Jews. Both examples are the supernatural hatred that the devil has against God's chosen people.
:thumbup I think you've "hooked" it, Suz!!! :lol:

e-man

ezekiel 38:4 may have something to do with the nations that will come out of the old roman empire. boone pickens says oil will go up to $300.00 a barrel, it may be like someone else said a pipeline but more likely it will revolve around oil.brother john hagee reports that due too a record lack of rain in isreal over the last few years has left the dead sea is at its lowest water level ever, isreal now has the worlds largest stock pile of sodium cloride its what is laying in the bottom of the dead sea! i don`t know what sodium cloride is used for but this too may come into play
Isn't sodium chloride salt? If it is, I don't think the hook could be salt. Salt is pretty much everywhere on this earth. You can make it from ocean water if you want, and Bonneville in Nevada is so full of the stuff that they race on it.

Isn't sodium chloride salt? If it is, I don't think the hook could be salt. Salt is pretty much everywhere on this earth. You can make it from ocean water if you want, and Bonneville in Nevada is so full of the stuff that they race on it.
this is a form of salt but not table salt, brother hagee said the type of salt that is there is highly sought after, maybe he`ll comment again on the subject

tripadamus

Tripadamus
I also believe and agree with Suzanne's relpy!

This pretty much also agrees with what I believe to be biblical reasoning, it makes more sense--Trip:thumbup

Adopted Son

I believe the combination of all your points has accurately described the intention of the use of the word "hooked" in scripture. Additionally, I would like to add the presence of intense arrogance. We have "painted ourselves" into many corners across the planet and I think Russia has created alliances they thought would bring them "innocently" into a conflict that would position them above both the US and Europe eventually.

In fact, these promises have been cemented over and over again by several Arab nations and Russia is now cornered by their own deceptions and alliances. IF Israel should attack Iran's nuclear capacities, I believe Syria will over-react, due in part to one of those iron clad promises from Russia, and it will pull Russia reluctantly into an active role in attacking Israel, knowing full well that America has not been dis-armed or defeated first. They are stuck!

Sean Osborne

The following is a partial excerpt from the coming final installment of The Propetic Road to Revelation Part IV: The War of Gog/Magog. I hope this helps with the understanding of this passage.

We must make specific note of the fact that there is not just one hook or one jaw, but plural "hooks" and "jaws." More than one hook and more than one jaw, or many hooks and many jaws.

Secondly, the "hook" is not necessarily a "fish hook." The Hebrew word is chach and that word can mean a ring, like a nose ring as found Ezekiel Ch 29:4, or a bracelet, and both of which were run through the nose of wild animals in order to tame them.

Often in Old Testament times a rope was attached to the ring or the bracelet to lead the animal to where the trainer wanted it to go. The next Hebrew word to note is lechiy which is a reference to the cheek of a man, or the jaw/jawbome of an animal.

See and compare Ezekiel's use of this word with the text found in Isaiah 37:29 - the purposes are literally identical, to "turn thee back".

Therefore, the "hook" is a metaphor which represents the vehicle of the judgment that God has declared upon ALL of the nations of the Gog/Magog confederation.

God Almighty has determined that His judgment is due to these nations which He considers to be no better than animals. It is God who nathan (gave, put or set) these devices of His choosing and by His sovereign will so that 5/6ths of these nations military forces will be drawn to their deaths in the Valley of the Passengers in what is today the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, but in that near-future time will have been conquered to become the land of Israel.