What is single most convincing bible verse that makes you believe in a PreTrib Rapture?

gregb4hope

Revelation events I believe is in chronological order. The first three chapters are addressed to the church. Chapter four onward refers to the tribulation which never mentions the Church again until the second coming

Revelation 19:14
The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, whiteand clean.

So with that in mind to me the pre trib verse would be
Revelation 3:10
Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come on the whole world to test the inhabitants of the earth.

gregb4hope

It is difficult to find a stand alone pre trib Revelation. Ive heard most of the verses and they can be twisted to mean something else entirely.
My number one pick is in 1 Thess 5:3 " When they say Peace and Safety.... then sudden destruction". The Apostle Paul isn't giving us a day but is giving us a "sign" or an event. This event matches up well with Daniel 70th Week which begins the 7 year Tribulation. This "sign" can only occur at the beginning. It can't happen at Mid or Post Tribulation. Perhaps the verse and chapter numbering system mask what we are obviously being told but it shouldn't. This was first a letter and there would be no breaks in following the timing of the rapture. Read 1 Thess 4:13-18 then continue into 5:1-3 Review this and tell me what you think? How does it read to you?

What is so powerful about this doctrine reference to "Peace and Safety", This is the very issue going on with Israel and the Arabs nations aka Middle East peace conference amidst the never ending conflict in the region. We must wait for it's Terms and Conditions and its seven year declaration as part of the agreement. So far ...not yet but it's coming! It seems even Pretribbers will witness the event but the stage will be set and the rapture will be near! This verse is very compelling so I thought I'd share it with all I can. It never seems to get the credit, I believe it is due. It definitely isn't Mid neither Post.

Lovin Jesus

You are referring the Jesus letter to the Church of Philadelphia and it is a good one indeed. It definitely gives hope to a remnant of the Churches, since there are Seven Jesus addresses. He makes references to those who have the "key of David" as well and for me it has been difficult to determine just what is meant by this phrase. This would probably be my number two supportive verse. My number one pick is in 1 Thess 5:3 " When they say peace and safety then sudden destruction". The Apostle Paul isn't giving us a day but is giving us a "sign" or an event. This event matches up well with Daniel 70th Week which begins the 7 year Tribulation. This "sign" can only occur at the beginning. It can't happen at Mid or Post Tribulation. Perhaps the verse and chapter numbering system mask what we are obviously being told but it shouldn't. This was first a letter and there would be no breaks in following the timing of the rapture. Review this and tell me what you think? How does it read to you?
I did a little research and came up with the following which I find to be a good breakdown of the verse you cited.

https://www.godsword4you.net/single-post/2016/11/15/1-Thessalonians-51-3-The-Day-of-the-Lord-part-1

1 Thessalonians 5:1-3: The Day of the Lord (part 1)

In the last message we looked at Christ’s 2nd coming in 1 Thessalonians 4:14-18, and we were reminded that this life is not all there is. Jesus is coming to take us home to be with Him, either in death or at the rapture when all true believers will be “caught up to meet the Lord in the air.”

The main cause for unrest among these believers was their thought that only those who were alive at the time of the rapture would witness and share in its glories. All grounds for their unrest were removed with the assuring revelation that there would be no difference in the experience of the believers who had died and those who were alive when Christ returned for His Church. So Paul is comforting those who have buried loved-ones, …”do not sorrow as those who have no hope…” (4:13). He goes on to say, “Therefore comfort one another with these words” (4:18). To paraphrase: “calm down. Be of good cheer. The God who raised Jesus from death is in charge, and “God will bring with him those

who sleep in Jesus (those who have died)” (4:14).

Verse 1a: “But concerning the times and the seasons, brethren…”

Acts 1:7, “And He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or seasons which the Father has put in His own authority.”

“Times” in Greek is Chronos, it designates time in its duration, whether a longer or shorter period, while “seasons” (epochs) in Greek is kairos which draws attention to the characteristics of the period. Chronos deals with the measurement of time, while kairos deals with the suitable or critical nature of the time.

“But concerning the duration of the successive intervals of time and the epoch-making periods of time, brethren, you have no need that I should be writing to you.” –Wuest Translation

Verse 1b: “…you have no need that I should write to you.”

Paul had already conveyed all this information concerning the future to them. He was not saying that instruction on this point was not necessary, but that they already had a basic understanding of these end time events. That is a contrast the previous section regarding the coming of Christ, “I do not want you to be ignorant (uninformed), brethren…” (1 Thessalonians 4:13).

Verse 2: “For you yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night.”

Paul presents the solemn truth that the returning Lord will bring a day of judgment for the unbelieving world. With this in mind the duty of the believers is to so live that they will be prepared to meet the Lord whenever He comes giving diligence to be morally and spiritually ready.

2 Peter 3:10-12, “But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up. Therefore, since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be dissolved, being on fire, and the elements will melt with fervent heat?”

The phrase “the day of the Lord,” in the Old Testament (Isaiah 2:12; 13:6, 9; Ezekiel 13:5, 30:3; Joel 1:15, 2:1,11,31; 3:14; Amos 5:18,20; Obadiah 15; Zephaniah 1:7,14; Zechariah 14:1; Malachi 4:5) and in the New Testament, (Acts 2:20; 1 Thessalonians 5:2; 2 Thessalonians 2:2; 2 Peter 3:10).

The “Day of the Lord” is an extended period of time, which incorporates the Great Tribulation, the Millennial Reign, the Great White Throne Judgment, which in turn is followed by the New Heavens and New Earth. Basically, the Day of the Lord involves everything that is going to happen in the end times, beginning with the pre tribulation “rapture" of the saints.

“Gathered under the expression “the day of the Lord” is a large group of prophetic events predicted in both the Old and the New Testaments. But the day designated in Scripture as “the day of the Lord” is coming when God will punish human sin, and He will deal in wrath and in judgment with a Christ-rejecting world. One thing we are sure of, that God in His own way will bring every soul into judgment.” –John Walvoord

The day of the Lord is also known by the terms “the time of Jacob’s trouble” (Jeremiah 30:7) and “Daniel’s seventieth week” (Daniel 9:24-29). Many other students of prophecy refer to this time as the Tribulation (see Matthew 24:9, 21, 29; Mark 13:19, 24; Revelation 7:14).

“As a thief in the night “ describes how this day will arrive. The primary point of the thief analogy is the element of surprise. A thief usually comes when people are asleep or gone.

2 Peter 3:10. “But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night…”

Revelation 3:3, “Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you.”

Revelation 16:15, "Look, I will come as unexpectedly as a thief!”

Matthew 24:42-44, “Watch therefore, for you do not know what hour your Lord is coming. But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into. Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.”

“But this earthly wrath does not pertain to those in Christ (verse 9). Their meeting with Christ will be “in the air” and separate from God’s dealing with those on earth. The only way to hold that this meeting with Christ in the air is an imminent prospect is to see it as simultaneous with the beginning of the divine judgment against earth. Only if the rapture coincides with the beginning of the day of the Lord can both be imminent and the salvation of those in Christ coincide with the coming of wrath to the rest (verse 9).” –John Walvoord

Therefore, in light of the awesome nature and absolute certainty of the “Day of the Lord,” we should be constantly watchful, and live accordingly. Paul was watching throughout his life. “Therefore let us not sleep, as others do, but let us watch and be sober” (1 Thessalonians 5:6).

Verse 3a: “For when they say, ‘Peace and safety!’”

“For when they say peace and safety” The majority of mankind will be preoccupied with the things of this present evil age and will exhibit no anticipation of, or even absolutely no belief in, and no interest in preparing for the Second Coming of Christ. Our Lord used similar terms of comparison to describe the days before His return, declaring that on one hand they would be like the life as usual, days of Noah and Lot: Luke 17:26-30, “And as it was in the days of Noah, so it will be also in the days of the Son of Man: They ate, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and the flood came and destroyed them all. Likewise as it was also in the days of Lot: They ate, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they built; but on the day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven and destroyed them all. Even so will it be in the day when the Son of Man is revealed..”

Instead of anticipating and preparing for the coming day of judgment, unbelievers will be wrapped in a fatal, self-deceiving sense of security, saying “peace and safety.” They will be continually and repeatedly assuring themselves that there is peace everywhere and that everything is safe and secure. Deception can be a dangerous and deadly disposition!

The question one might ask is when will the unbelieving world be saying “peace and safety?” Daniel prophesied that in the first half of the 70th week (the 7-year tribulation), 3 ½ years of pseudo peace, then 3 ½ years of total chaos. A covenant of peace with Israel will be made, which most likely allows them to rebuild the temple. In light of events in the Middle East today (2016), it is easy to imagine how the world might respond to what ostensibly appears to be peace in the Middle East! The fact that the long sought after peace with Israel has been achieved will lead to a feeling of “peace and safety.” Watch for the one person who will be able to bring peace in the Middle East.

Verse 3b: “…then sudden destruction comes upon them…”

Sudden destruction: destruction that was unforeseen or unexpected. The word “sudden” is aiphnidios in Greek, and is only found one other time in the New Testament, Luke 21:34, “…and that Day come on you unexpectedly (aiphnidios).” It is something that one cannot anticipate nor understand how it happened.

“Destruction” in Greek is olethros. To destroy utterly or fully and has to do with that which is ruined and is no longer usable for its intended purpose. It is a state of utter and hopeless ruin and the end of all that gives worth to human existence! This word (olethros) occurs in the New Testament in 1 Corinthians 5:5, “…deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction (olethros) of the flesh, that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. 2 Thessalonians 1:9. “These shall be punished with everlasting destruction (olethros) from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power” 1 Timothy 6:9, “But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction (olethros) and perdition’ (1 Timothy 6:9).

“There will be an air of confidence and security in the world. Then God’s judgment will suddenly begin to descend with vast destructive force. Destruction does not mean loss of being, or annihilation; it means loss of well-being, or ruin as far as the purpose of one’s existence is concerned. It will be as inevitable and unavoidable as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. From this judgment there will be no escape for unbelievers.” –W. MacDonald

“Comes upon them” literally means to stand upon or over and then conveys the sense of being at hand (instant) or to be present and is generally used of any sudden unexpected appearance.

“Them,” unbelievers, those who have spurned all warnings of coming judgment and rejected the offers of grace. Those who have not accepted the truth of the glorious gospel of Christ when they have had opportunity in this age, rejecting Him as Creator, Redeemer and Savior, are destined for eternal punishment (destruction, ruin) in the lake of fire.

There will be no opportunity for those who willingly rejected Christ in the tribulation period, for their names will have been blotted out of the book of life. However, there will be a great multitude out of every tribe and nation saved during the tribulation period: Revelation 7:9, “After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, with palm branches in their hands…” Revelation 7:14, “So he said to me, “These are the ones who come out of the great tribulation, and washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.”

These will be men and women who never had a real opportunity to understand and receive the gospel before the rapture, but who will believe, even suffering martyrdom for their faith when they read or hear it during this coming time of the “Day of the Lord” and His judgment on earth.

Listen my friend, if you have heard the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and failed to accept Him as your Savior and Lord, when Jesus comes back again, you will never have another chance to be saved. You will be condemned to eternal death in a place, “where their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched” (Luke 9:46).

Verse 3c: “…as labor pains upon a pregnant woman.”

Paul uses this phrase as a figure of speech to refer to labor pains or birth pangs which pictures intense pain. Isaiah 13:6-8 MSG, “Wail! God’s Day of Judgment is near—an avalanche crashing down from the Strong God! Everyone paralyzed in the panic, hysterical and unstrung, doubled up in pain like a woman giving birth to a baby. Horrified—everyone they see is like a face out of a nightmare.” Micah 4:9,10, “For pangs have seized you like a woman in labor. Be in pain, and labor to bring forth, O daughter of Zion, like a woman in birth pangs.” Note: Micah is referring to the Babylonian captivity of the Jews and to their later return to Palestine under King Cyrus.

Jesus used this same illustration in the Olivet Discourse: “But all this is only the first of the birth pains, with more to come” (Matthew 24:8 NLT).

The tumultuous nature of the birth process pictures the inevitability, suddenness, inescapable nature, and painfulness of the “Day of the Lord.” It is not only sudden but comes unannounced and with considerable pain.

And as maternal birth pains exhibit an increasing intensity and shortened intervals between their occurrence, the events associated with the Day of the Lord exhibit a similar pattern, and as with human birth, the ultimate result and glorious purpose is to bring forth a new life. In other words, the coming of the Day of the Lord marks the beginning of the end of human existence as we have known it for some 6000+ years, the birth of this new age culminating with the return of the Messiah as King of kings and Lord of Lords!

Verse 3d: “And they shall not escape.”

The English translation of “they shall not escape” misses the sense of the Greek passage which is actually a strong double negative, which removes any hope one might have about their ability to escape this dreadful time. There is absolutely no escape.

Hebrews 2:3 NLT, “So what makes us think we can escape if we ignore this great salvation that was first announced by the Lord Jesus himself and then delivered to us by those who heard him speak?”

In Romans 2:3, Paul addresses the unbelieving religious person asking them a question to prompt their conscience: “And do you think this, O man, you who judge those practicing such things, and doing the same, that you will escape the judgment of God?”

The doom of the unbelieving world will be inescapable in the “Day of the Lord.” In light of this inescapable destruction, how comforting to believers were Paul's opening words describing Christ's delivering us from this horrible time… “and to wait for His Son from heaven, whom He raised from the dead, even Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come.”

What are believer’s escaping? “For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be. And unless those days were shortened, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect’s sake those days will be shortened” (Matthew 12:21,22). “For in those days there will be tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the creation which God created until this time, nor ever shall be” (Mark 13:19).

You can be certain that you will miss the Tribulation, and that you will go to heaven when this life is over. Luke 21:36, “Watch therefore, and pray always that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man.” 1 Thessalonians 2:12, “…that you would walk worthy of God who calls you into His own kingdom and glory.”

Jesus is the only way to God. This is the hardest one for many people to believe. I’ve heard so many people say, “As long as you do the best you can you’ll be okay.” “There are many paths to God, it really doesn’t matter which one you choose.” There are no other “paths” to God or “ways” of salvation. While this “many paths to God” theory is popular in the minds of many and even some modern-day churches, it is a lie designed to keep people from the truth of Jesus Christ. “Jesus said, I am THE WAY, (so there is no other way) THE TRUTH, (so there is no other truth) and THE LIFE; (so there is no other life) no one comes to the Father except through Me.” (John 14:6). (Emphasis provided by the author).

Each person must individually receive Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. “But to as many who received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name” (John 1:12). “For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast” (Ephesians 2:8-9).

gregb4hope

Not single verses per say, but I Thessalonians 5:1-11 is my main justification for the pretribulation rapture. That we are not appointed to God's Wrath, and the tribulation (once the seals are opened in heaven) is God's wrath on earth. It is judgement, which is why the only one found worthy to open the seals is Jesus. I think that is the most clear reference to the rapture in the Bible.

I also read Revelation as chronological, and view Jesus's call to John to "Come up here!" at the end of the letters to the churches as symbolizing the rapture. The only time we see the church mentioned after that is in heaven. The church of Laodicea is not saved (Jesus stands at the door and knocks-means that Jesus is on the outside, also they are blind and naked-trusting in their own works for salvation) and I believe represent all the churches that will be left behind to experience the tribulation.

The fact that the church is referred to as Jesus's bride, and the parallels between a wedding supper and the end times are often referenced throughout the Bible makes the Song of Songs an intriguing book, to say the least. Centrally located in the Bible, the theme is a Gentile bride in love with a shepherd who is away, and who calls her up to him, to "Come away." I think Song of Songs is a prophecy book.
I agree with your choice of scripture for most revealing source for the rapture. However, in your description, I tend to take a slightly different route. 1 Thess 5:3 is a key verse I feel the apostle Paul is giving as a "sign" when the rapture event is near and it certainly supports Pre Tribulation rapture with a slight variance. The key event going on in our world at that time will be the success of a peace treaty signed (for 7 Years). In verse 5: 3 it is "When they say Peace and Safety....then sudden destruction...". This event can only happen at the beginning of the Tribulation period, not Mid neither Post. Few people seem to see this and I am trying to figure out why? But I see it and it adds clarity to the prophetic word of God. It,s this section which gives us guidance though no man knows the day. I welcome your thoughts and hope it helps. Pray on it, I certainly have and the HolySpirit has given me unction on this.

gregb4hope

I did a little research and came up with the following which I find to be a good breakdown of the verse you cited.

https://www.godsword4you.net/single-post/2016/11/15/1-Thessalonians-51-3-The-Day-of-the-Lord-part-1

1 Thessalonians 5:1-3: The Day of the Lord (part 1)

In the last message we looked at Christ’s 2nd coming in 1 Thessalonians 4:14-18, and we were reminded that this life is not all there is. Jesus is coming to take us home to be with Him, either in death or at the rapture when all true believers will be “caught up to meet the Lord in the air.”

The main cause for unrest among these believers was their thought that only those who were alive at the time of the rapture would witness and share in its glories. All grounds for their unrest were removed with the assuring revelation that there would be no difference in the experience of the believers who had died and those who were alive when Christ returned for His Church. So Paul is comforting those who have buried loved-ones, …”do not sorrow as those who have no hope…” (4:13). He goes on to say, “Therefore comfort one another with these words” (4:18). To paraphrase: “calm down. Be of good cheer. The God who raised Jesus from death is in charge, and “God will bring with him those

who sleep in Jesus (those who have died)” (4:14).

Verse 1a: “But concerning the times and the seasons, brethren…”

Acts 1:7, “And He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or seasons which the Father has put in His own authority.”

“Times” in Greek is Chronos, it designates time in its duration, whether a longer or shorter period, while “seasons” (epochs) in Greek is kairos which draws attention to the characteristics of the period. Chronos deals with the measurement of time, while kairos deals with the suitable or critical nature of the time.

“But concerning the duration of the successive intervals of time and the epoch-making periods of time, brethren, you have no need that I should be writing to you.” –Wuest Translation

Verse 1b: “…you have no need that I should write to you.”

Paul had already conveyed all this information concerning the future to them. He was not saying that instruction on this point was not necessary, but that they already had a basic understanding of these end time events. That is a contrast the previous section regarding the coming of Christ, “I do not want you to be ignorant (uninformed), brethren…” (1 Thessalonians 4:13).

Verse 2: “For you yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night.”

Paul presents the solemn truth that the returning Lord will bring a day of judgment for the unbelieving world. With this in mind the duty of the believers is to so live that they will be prepared to meet the Lord whenever He comes giving diligence to be morally and spiritually ready.

2 Peter 3:10-12, “But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up. Therefore, since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be dissolved, being on fire, and the elements will melt with fervent heat?”

The phrase “the day of the Lord,” in the Old Testament (Isaiah 2:12; 13:6, 9; Ezekiel 13:5, 30:3; Joel 1:15, 2:1,11,31; 3:14; Amos 5:18,20; Obadiah 15; Zephaniah 1:7,14; Zechariah 14:1; Malachi 4:5) and in the New Testament, (Acts 2:20; 1 Thessalonians 5:2; 2 Thessalonians 2:2; 2 Peter 3:10).

The “Day of the Lord” is an extended period of time, which incorporates the Great Tribulation, the Millennial Reign, the Great White Throne Judgment, which in turn is followed by the New Heavens and New Earth. Basically, the Day of the Lord involves everything that is going to happen in the end times, beginning with the pre tribulation “rapture" of the saints.

“Gathered under the expression “the day of the Lord” is a large group of prophetic events predicted in both the Old and the New Testaments. But the day designated in Scripture as “the day of the Lord” is coming when God will punish human sin, and He will deal in wrath and in judgment with a Christ-rejecting world. One thing we are sure of, that God in His own way will bring every soul into judgment.” –John Walvoord

The day of the Lord is also known by the terms “the time of Jacob’s trouble” (Jeremiah 30:7) and “Daniel’s seventieth week” (Daniel 9:24-29). Many other students of prophecy refer to this time as the Tribulation (see Matthew 24:9, 21, 29; Mark 13:19, 24; Revelation 7:14).

“As a thief in the night “ describes how this day will arrive. The primary point of the thief analogy is the element of surprise. A thief usually comes when people are asleep or gone.

2 Peter 3:10. “But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night…”

Revelation 3:3, “Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you.”

Revelation 16:15, "Look, I will come as unexpectedly as a thief!”

Matthew 24:42-44, “Watch therefore, for you do not know what hour your Lord is coming. But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into. Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.”

“But this earthly wrath does not pertain to those in Christ (verse 9). Their meeting with Christ will be “in the air” and separate from God’s dealing with those on earth. The only way to hold that this meeting with Christ in the air is an imminent prospect is to see it as simultaneous with the beginning of the divine judgment against earth. Only if the rapture coincides with the beginning of the day of the Lord can both be imminent and the salvation of those in Christ coincide with the coming of wrath to the rest (verse 9).” –John Walvoord

Therefore, in light of the awesome nature and absolute certainty of the “Day of the Lord,” we should be constantly watchful, and live accordingly. Paul was watching throughout his life. “Therefore let us not sleep, as others do, but let us watch and be sober” (1 Thessalonians 5:6).

Verse 3a: “For when they say, ‘Peace and safety!’”

“For when they say peace and safety” The majority of mankind will be preoccupied with the things of this present evil age and will exhibit no anticipation of, or even absolutely no belief in, and no interest in preparing for the Second Coming of Christ. Our Lord used similar terms of comparison to describe the days before His return, declaring that on one hand they would be like the life as usual, days of Noah and Lot: Luke 17:26-30, “And as it was in the days of Noah, so it will be also in the days of the Son of Man: They ate, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and the flood came and destroyed them all. Likewise as it was also in the days of Lot: They ate, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they built; but on the day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven and destroyed them all. Even so will it be in the day when the Son of Man is revealed..”

Instead of anticipating and preparing for the coming day of judgment, unbelievers will be wrapped in a fatal, self-deceiving sense of security, saying “peace and safety.” They will be continually and repeatedly assuring themselves that there is peace everywhere and that everything is safe and secure. Deception can be a dangerous and deadly disposition!

The question one might ask is when will the unbelieving world be saying “peace and safety?” Daniel prophesied that in the first half of the 70th week (the 7-year tribulation), 3 ½ years of pseudo peace, then 3 ½ years of total chaos. A covenant of peace with Israel will be made, which most likely allows them to rebuild the temple. In light of events in the Middle East today (2016), it is easy to imagine how the world might respond to what ostensibly appears to be peace in the Middle East! The fact that the long sought after peace with Israel has been achieved will lead to a feeling of “peace and safety.” Watch for the one person who will be able to bring peace in the Middle East.

Verse 3b: “…then sudden destruction comes upon them…”

Sudden destruction: destruction that was unforeseen or unexpected. The word “sudden” is aiphnidios in Greek, and is only found one other time in the New Testament, Luke 21:34, “…and that Day come on you unexpectedly (aiphnidios).” It is something that one cannot anticipate nor understand how it happened.

“Destruction” in Greek is olethros. To destroy utterly or fully and has to do with that which is ruined and is no longer usable for its intended purpose. It is a state of utter and hopeless ruin and the end of all that gives worth to human existence! This word (olethros) occurs in the New Testament in 1 Corinthians 5:5, “…deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction (olethros) of the flesh, that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. 2 Thessalonians 1:9. “These shall be punished with everlasting destruction (olethros) from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power” 1 Timothy 6:9, “But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction (olethros) and perdition’ (1 Timothy 6:9).

“There will be an air of confidence and security in the world. Then God’s judgment will suddenly begin to descend with vast destructive force. Destruction does not mean loss of being, or annihilation; it means loss of well-being, or ruin as far as the purpose of one’s existence is concerned. It will be as inevitable and unavoidable as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. From this judgment there will be no escape for unbelievers.” –W. MacDonald

“Comes upon them” literally means to stand upon or over and then conveys the sense of being at hand (instant) or to be present and is generally used of any sudden unexpected appearance.

“Them,” unbelievers, those who have spurned all warnings of coming judgment and rejected the offers of grace. Those who have not accepted the truth of the glorious gospel of Christ when they have had opportunity in this age, rejecting Him as Creator, Redeemer and Savior, are destined for eternal punishment (destruction, ruin) in the lake of fire.

There will be no opportunity for those who willingly rejected Christ in the tribulation period, for their names will have been blotted out of the book of life. However, there will be a great multitude out of every tribe and nation saved during the tribulation period: Revelation 7:9, “After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, with palm branches in their hands…” Revelation 7:14, “So he said to me, “These are the ones who come out of the great tribulation, and washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.”

These will be men and women who never had a real opportunity to understand and receive the gospel before the rapture, but who will believe, even suffering martyrdom for their faith when they read or hear it during this coming time of the “Day of the Lord” and His judgment on earth.

Listen my friend, if you have heard the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and failed to accept Him as your Savior and Lord, when Jesus comes back again, you will never have another chance to be saved. You will be condemned to eternal death in a place, “where their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched” (Luke 9:46).

Verse 3c: “…as labor pains upon a pregnant woman.”

Paul uses this phrase as a figure of speech to refer to labor pains or birth pangs which pictures intense pain. Isaiah 13:6-8 MSG, “Wail! God’s Day of Judgment is near—an avalanche crashing down from the Strong God! Everyone paralyzed in the panic, hysterical and unstrung, doubled up in pain like a woman giving birth to a baby. Horrified—everyone they see is like a face out of a nightmare.” Micah 4:9,10, “For pangs have seized you like a woman in labor. Be in pain, and labor to bring forth, O daughter of Zion, like a woman in birth pangs.” Note: Micah is referring to the Babylonian captivity of the Jews and to their later return to Palestine under King Cyrus.

Jesus used this same illustration in the Olivet Discourse: “But all this is only the first of the birth pains, with more to come” (Matthew 24:8 NLT).

The tumultuous nature of the birth process pictures the inevitability, suddenness, inescapable nature, and painfulness of the “Day of the Lord.” It is not only sudden but comes unannounced and with considerable pain.

And as maternal birth pains exhibit an increasing intensity and shortened intervals between their occurrence, the events associated with the Day of the Lord exhibit a similar pattern, and as with human birth, the ultimate result and glorious purpose is to bring forth a new life. In other words, the coming of the Day of the Lord marks the beginning of the end of human existence as we have known it for some 6000+ years, the birth of this new age culminating with the return of the Messiah as King of kings and Lord of Lords!

Verse 3d: “And they shall not escape.”

The English translation of “they shall not escape” misses the sense of the Greek passage which is actually a strong double negative, which removes any hope one might have about their ability to escape this dreadful time. There is absolutely no escape.

Hebrews 2:3 NLT, “So what makes us think we can escape if we ignore this great salvation that was first announced by the Lord Jesus himself and then delivered to us by those who heard him speak?”

In Romans 2:3, Paul addresses the unbelieving religious person asking them a question to prompt their conscience: “And do you think this, O man, you who judge those practicing such things, and doing the same, that you will escape the judgment of God?”

The doom of the unbelieving world will be inescapable in the “Day of the Lord.” In light of this inescapable destruction, how comforting to believers were Paul's opening words describing Christ's delivering us from this horrible time… “and to wait for His Son from heaven, whom He raised from the dead, even Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come.”

What are believer’s escaping? “For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be. And unless those days were shortened, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect’s sake those days will be shortened” (Matthew 12:21,22). “For in those days there will be tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the creation which God created until this time, nor ever shall be” (Mark 13:19).

You can be certain that you will miss the Tribulation, and that you will go to heaven when this life is over. Luke 21:36, “Watch therefore, and pray always that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man.” 1 Thessalonians 2:12, “…that you would walk worthy of God who calls you into His own kingdom and glory.”

Jesus is the only way to God. This is the hardest one for many people to believe. I’ve heard so many people say, “As long as you do the best you can you’ll be okay.” “There are many paths to God, it really doesn’t matter which one you choose.” There are no other “paths” to God or “ways” of salvation. While this “many paths to God” theory is popular in the minds of many and even some modern-day churches, it is a lie designed to keep people from the truth of Jesus Christ. “Jesus said, I am THE WAY, (so there is no other way) THE TRUTH, (so there is no other truth) and THE LIFE; (so there is no other life) no one comes to the Father except through Me.” (John 14:6). (Emphasis provided by the author).

Each person must individually receive Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. “But to as many who received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name” (John 1:12). “For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast” (Ephesians 2:8-9).
One commentary versus another I suppose, if I get what you're saying and you are saying quite a lot. But the rationale remains the same regarding the "sign" for the event of the rapture. It's as if many theologians want to avoid the obvious in the wording. The scripture is revealing to us "When they say Peace and Safety....then sudden destruction" which also fits the flow of Book of Revelations Ch 6, for it is here when the Seals of the Four Horsemen are opened. The First Seal reveals a white horse representing peace but it is a false peace that is short-lived. He had a bow (but no arrows) and a crown was given him and he went out to conquer. Already he is taking over simply by being a conquerer. The Second Seal reveals a red horse and perhaps the same rider who takes peace from the earth and war is the prevailing theme. This supports and is parallel in pattern to the phrase "When they say peace and safety....then sudden destruction." in 1 Thess 5:3.

As we watch the success of Trump or any other American in the Middle East, it seems paradoxical and contradictory to actually applaud it, especially if it's a 7 year term. . As this "sign" indicate the rapture occurrence and the harvesting is complete. The wrath of God becomes apparent from a christian view of things in literal interpretation of scripture. It's like Dogg if we do and Dogg if we don't seek peace and ultimately by any means necessary. Such is like a being between a rock and a hard place.....Blessings

Lovin Jesus

One commentary versus another I suppose, if I get what you're saying and you are saying quite a lot. But the rationale remains the same regarding the "sign" for the event of the rapture. It's as if many theologians want to avoid the obvious in the wording. The scripture is revealing to us "When they say Peace and Safety....then sudden destruction" which also fits the flow of Book of Revelations Ch 6, for it is here when the Seals of the Four Horsemen are opened. The First Seal reveals a white horse representing peace but it is a false peace that is short-lived. He had a bow (but no arrows) and a crown was given him and he went out to conquer. Already he is taking over simply by being a conquerer. The Second Seal reveals a red horse and perhaps the same rider who takes peace from the earth and war is the prevailing theme. This supports and is parallel in pattern to the phrase "When they say peace and safety....then sudden destruction." in 1 Thess 5:3.

As we watch the success of Trump or any other American in the Middle East, it seems paradoxical and contradictory to actually applaud it, especially if it's a 7 year term. . As this "sign" indicate the rapture occurrence and the harvesting is complete. The wrath of God becomes apparent from a christian view of things in literal interpretation of scripture. It's like Dogg if we do and Dogg if we don't seek peace and ultimately by any means necessary. Such is like a being between a rock and a hard place.....Blessings
Each scripture is easily cross referenced to others. They link perfectly with others to give us a clear picture of the context in prophecy.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with your choice of scripture for most revealing source for the rapture. However, in your description, I tend to take a slightly different route. 1 Thess 5:3 is a key verse I feel the apostle Paul is giving as a "sign" when the rapture event is near and it certainly supports Pre Tribulation rapture with a slight variance. The key event going on in our world at that time will be the success of a peace treaty signed (for 7 Years). In verse 5: 3 it is "When they say Peace and Safety....then sudden destruction...". This event can only happen at the beginning of the Tribulation period, not Mid neither Post. Few people seem to see this and I am trying to figure out why? But I see it and it adds clarity to the prophetic word of God. It,s this section which gives us guidance though no man knows the day. I welcome your thoughts and hope it helps. Pray on it, I certainly have and the HolySpirit has given me unction on this.

There is no "sign" for the rapture. It can happen at ANY time. There is nothing that needs to happen for the rapture to take place. We will not be here for the "confirming" of the 7 year covenant between Israel and the AC.

gregb4hope

There is no "sign" for the rapture. It can happen at ANY time. There is nothing that needs to happen for the rapture to take place. We will not be here for the "confirming" of the 7 year covenant between Israel and the AC.
That is the prevailing thought however, I tend to believe that as we get closer to the moment we see clearer because of the moment. Theologians of the 20th century ought to see clearer, the prophetic progression and it's realities than first century theologians. While I agree it can happen ANY time, so can the peace treaty! I beg to differ that "When they say Peace & Safety....then sudden destruction" is indeed a sign of the rapture event though no man knows the day! One fact is sure, the rapture has not happened yet because the "Peace & Safety" event has yet to occur. Is there something wrong with having a sign overlooked or not well understood until the moment arises? With all due respect sir, it seems contradictory to say "ANY time" and then state "we will not be here for the confirming of 7 Years". I thought any time meant any time. I am a pre Tribulation rapture believer but I do not discount the past being unlocked or understood by the events of the future. Blessings...my friend!

Nemophilist

" Because you have kept the word of My perseverance, I also will keep you from the hour of testing, that hour which is about to come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth. " (Revelation 3:10, NASB, emphasis mine)

I feel that what many get wrong about the Rapture is that they think the Lord takes the Church off the planet to protect us. But if protection wre the only issue, the Lord is more than capable of protecting someone here on Earth. Examples: Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-Nego went into the flames of Nebuchadnezzar's furnace, and weren't even singed; Daniel went into the lions' den and was not so much as scratched, Jehoshaphat rode into battle alongside Ahab and was unscatherd (can't say the same for Ahab!). If the Lord wants to, He can defend and protect people on this planet.

That said: I feel the reason the Lord takes the Church in the Rapture before the Tribulation is: The Lord wants His Bride and is entitled to her! Just as much as any of us would want to get someone we love out of a situation and bring them home before we deal with it, the Lord wants the Church home with Him, by His side where she belongs. And that brings us to the text quoted above: "keep you from". Were the Lord to simply protect the Church here on Earth, Scripture would read "Deliver you through" or "preserve you during".Were that the case, the word used would have been diasózó (Strong's 1295). Instead, the word used is téreó (Strong's 5083) means " to watch over, to guard", which admittedly would normally denote being protected in the time of testing. But this is followed by ek (Strong's 1537) , which means " from, from out of ". So taken together, it would literally read "to watch over or guard you from out of the time of testing". Or in other words, "to keep you from the time of testing".

So, with al that in mind, that becomes a very strong contender for me why the Rapture is Pre-Trib.
Makes sense! Well said!

Lovin Jesus

Theres no sign for the rapture so no
scripture verse can give us a sign because it is imminent. The signs we do have however come from the
scriptures referring to the beginning of the tribulation which jesus decribed as birth pains. Taking those signs for the tribulation and looking at other verses pertaining to our rapture we can conclude the rapture is close as we already see the birth pains in prigress leading to the tribulation. Now our hope lies in what paul says in 2 Thessalonians 2:7. That antichrist will not be revealed until the restrainer is removed. The restrainer is the holy spirit who indwells us the church. If hes removed we are removed. After were gone the antichrist will be revealed which goes with the first seal broken in the tribulation. The white horseman. Thats antichrist coming into the picture. Even with no significant sign for the rapture taking other signs for the tribulation help us see our redemption is very near. Scripture has no sign for the rapture. what we are seeing around us but a precursor to the tribulation but the rapture will happen before it comes.

Lovin Jesus

Romans 13:11
And do this, understanding the present time: The hour has already come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed.

Scripture does conclude we will have a pre-tribulation rapture. The day or hour is not known but is imminent and Jesus repeatedly said to be ready, be on the watch, be prepared as in the parable of the ten virgins, always having our oil lamps filled and prepared and have extra oil on hand just in case. We are in the time of imminence

1: something imminent, especially : impending evil or danger
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/imminence

Wake up! Arise, Christian, it is time to awaken from sleep!' What a lovely picture of the weary soul, rising up to meet the morning's freshness, as the first-flush of the sunlight's golden beauty pierces the morning curtain... drawing us back into consciousness, that the day has arrived, and we must wake-up from our slumber and make ready for the duties of the day. "Wake up! This is already the hour for us to wake from sleep!"

But it is not simply the duties of the day that urge us to awaken from our sleep! We are called to wake from any spiritual slumber, "for now our salvation draws ever closer." Christ is coming to take us to be with Himself and the time is getting nearer. How important that we should be ready for His soon return, every moment of every day.

What a meaningful metaphor this picture provides. We are moving nearer to the end of this life's dark night, where we will throw off this tent of flesh and be clothed in our new, glorified, resurrection bodies - and so we shall ever be with the Lord Jesus, for the rest of time and throughout all eternity."Do this!" Paul tells us, "and do this NOW - wake up from your slumbering, knowing that the hour for our salvation is nearer than when we believed!"

In the book of Romans, the apostle Paul has carefully guided us on the most magnificent journey, through God's story of redemption. His letter to the Roman Church begins by detailing the most thorough and systematic teaching on God's divine wrath and justified condemnation of the fallen race of humanity, which is only evil continuously.

However, Paul goes on to reveal the glorious hope of salvation for all who believe in the death, burial, and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ. He expounds the wonderful doctrine of justification by faith. He details our ongoing sanctification, as we mature in the faith, grow in grace and learn more of Jesus. And he speaks of the ultimate end of this mortal toil - our glorification when we go to be with JESUS. And it is ALL by faith in the Son of God, Who loved us and gave Himself for us.

Paul explains the wonder of our identification with Christ and His precious identification with us."For if we are become identified with Him in the likeness of His death, so also we shall be identified with His glorious resurrection." Paul then expounds God's wisdom in setting aside the nation of Israel for a season and His ultimate will and purpose as it relates to both Israel and the Church, "that blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fulness of the Gentiles is brought in."

It is at this point, as he begins to draw his letter to a close that Paul reminds us that because we are in the last days, it is high time to awaken out of our slumbering sleep. "do this", he urges. WAKE UP! "because you know the time! The hour has already come when we should awake out of sleep; for now, is our salvation nearer than when we believed."

During the times of Paul's ministry, he was encouraging the people of God to wake up from their spiritual slumber. Those in the early Church were exhorted to get ready for the return of the Lord Jesus. And two thousand years later this instruction still stands, but is increasingly urgent. Every day that passes is one day closer to the day when the trumpet will sound, the dead in Christ will be raised from their graves in incorruptible bodies, and we who are alive and remain will be caught up, together with them, into the clouds... to meet JESUS in the air. And so we shall ever be with the Lord.

What precious encouragement to the Body of Christ. How wonderful to be reminded that Jesus is coming back SOON. We have been given the blessed hope of His imminent return, and we are to establish it anew in our hearts, every moment of every day. Throughout our Christian life, our focus should always be on Christ, but as the time for His return draws ever closer we are exhorted to WAKE UP, from our spiritual sleep, and remember that our salvation... i.e. when we are raptured into Christ's presence, is closer than the day when we first trusted in Him as Saviour.

Let us joyfully embrace these revitalising words of Paul and rouse ourselves from any spiritual slumber, into which we may have drifted. Ane let us become alert and ready - watching and waiting for His soon return. And let us seek to use the time we have left on earth.. wisely.

Source: https://dailyverse.knowing-jesus.com/romans-13-11

gregb4hope

Makes sense! Well said!
Those are good words for strengthening our faith. And your chosen verse brings up a most dire moment in the history of mankind. It reveals those that are not taken are left behind to be tested. So it can be said that true followers of Christ also don't need to be "tested." This paralells Jesus first coming when Jesus said He come to try them(Israel) for their sin, it can be said the Jews were being tested. And so the second coming may be about testing or trying the world of Gentiles of its sin. First the Jews now the Gentiles are to be tested. Those loving and confesses Jesus as Son of the Living God have no need to be tested as they have proven themselves by their faith, obedience and are even looking for His appearance with expectation. To be tested is also to be judged and convicted. Then God would have given both sides Jew and Gentile a test and an opportunity for His Kingdom. In all fairness.....such is His righteousness!!

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
That is the prevailing thought however, I tend to believe that as we get closer to the moment we see clearer because of the moment. Theologians of the 20th century ought to see clearer, the prophetic progression and it's realities than first century theologians. While I agree it can happen ANY time, so can the peace treaty! I beg to differ that "When they say Peace & Safety....then sudden destruction" is indeed a sign of the rapture event though no man knows the day! One fact is sure, the rapture has not happened yet because the "Peace & Safety" event has yet to occur. Is there something wrong with having a sign overlooked or not well understood until the moment arises? With all due respect sir, it seems contradictory to say "ANY time" and then state "we will not be here for the confirming of 7 Years". I thought any time meant any time. I am a pre Tribulation rapture believer but I do not discount the past being unlocked or understood by the events of the future. Blessings...my friend!

It's only contradictary when you are not in context. The rapture can be any time now, but at the same time be before the 7 year tribulation period. No contradiction there.

We are a pre-trib forums. The AC confirms the covenant with Israel. We are gone before AC arrives on the scene. If the church was here we would recognize the AC. So, no it can't be that we are here for the confirming of the covenant. Please read the forum rules before posting anymore.

Thank you.

https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/threads/board-rules-guidelines-for-posting.1/

[15] No promotion of Mid, Post Tribulation, Prewrath, Partial Rapture, Preterism, or Replacement theology. This board is traditional Pre-Tribulation Rapture, Pre 6 Seals, Pre 70th week, and Pre-Millennial Dispensational of End Times Prophecy. No posting alternative theories from other websites. We believe in a literal 7 year Tribulation period, after the instantaneous Rapture of all regenerated believers in unison, during which God finishes His discipline of Israel, protects Israel, and finalizes His judgments on the unbelieving world. Except for those who have taken the Mark of the Beast, salvation will remain open to people who trust Jesus for salvation up to the Second Coming.

No suggestions of living righteously enough for the rapture, or salvation unattainable after the Rapture is allowed.

All discussions on these topics must follow suit. Jesus said we won't know the day nor hour of His return and always be ready keeping watch.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
This is why I stick to my guns about not going for single verses.

Yep, NEVER develop theology based on a single verse. We must always learn about the context of the verse, who was the subject of the verses, reading preferably the verse in questions along with the surrounding verses for context. I usually read a whole chapter to get the context as well as look into commentaries to help develop the context. Context is key! :thumbup

Eric Nicholas

Yep, NEVER develop theology based on a single verse. We must always learn about the context of the verse, who was the subject of the verses, reading preferably the verse in questions along with the surrounding verses for context. I usually read a whole chapter to get the context as well as look into commentaries to help develop the context. Context is key! :thumbup
Amen and amen to that.

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
What is single most convincing bible verse that makes you believe in a PreTrib Rapture? There are several key areas in scripture which implies a pre Tribulation rapture but which one would you put all your hope on? I had trouble coming up with a key verse for some time though there was many scripture that alluded to the phenomenon. When sharing my rational defending my belief was challenging. So I am seeking ideas from others.
Revelation 19:20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

I am totally sold out that we are in The Grace Age, where salvation is a totally free gift. During the tribulation not taking the mark will be a huge problem, but taking the mark will damn one to Hell. So salvation during the tribulation is not totally free, as there is a requirement that you do not take the mark of the beast.

Brother Albert R.

Jesus loved us and said we should Love our enemies
What is single most convincing bible verse that makes you believe in a PreTrib Rapture? There are several key areas in scripture which implies a pre Tribulation rapture but which one would you put all your hope on? I had trouble coming up with a key verse for some time though there was many scripture that alluded to the phenomenon. When sharing my rational defending my belief was challenging. So I am seeking ideas from others.
Below is a link to a great study by Thomas Ice titled "Why I believe the bible teaches Rapture before tribulation". In it he explains that there is a difference between the rapture and second coming.
I hope this helps
God bless
Brother Albert
https://digitalcommons.liberty.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1117&context=pretrib_arch

other articles on the rapture
https://digitalcommons.liberty.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1003&context=pretrib_arch
https://digitalcommons.liberty.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1044&context=pretrib_arch

Last edited:
Back