What is single most convincing bible verse that makes you believe in a PreTrib Rapture?

gregb4hope

What is single most convincing bible verse that makes you believe in a PreTrib Rapture? There are several key areas in scripture which implies a pre Tribulation rapture but which one would you put all your hope on? I had trouble coming up with a key verse for some time though there was many scripture that alluded to the phenomenon. When sharing my rational defending my belief was challenging. So I am seeking ideas from others.

glc11

I don't have an answer, but I am going to watch this thread as I want to hear what others say too. :) I know one thing that brings me comfort is that when the tribulation period is detailed in the book of Revelation, there is no mention or need for the church whatsoever in all of those chapters. I also am curious if people think that Isaiah 57 is referring to the rapture and it happening before the Trib phase.?

The righteous perish,
and no one takes it to heart;
the devout are taken away,
and no one understands
that the righteous are taken away
to be spared from evil.
2 Those who walk uprightly
enter into peace;
they find rest as they lie in death.
3 “But you—come here, you children of a sorceress,
you offspring of adulterers and prostitutes!
4 Who are you mocking?
At whom do you sneer
and stick out your tongue?
Are you not a brood of rebels,
the offspring of liars?
5 You burn with lust among the oaks
and under every spreading tree;
you sacrifice your children in the ravines
and under the overhanging crags.
6 The idols among the smooth stones of the ravines are your portion;
indeed, they are your lot.
Yes, to them you have poured out drink offerings
and offered grain offerings.
In view of all this, should I relent?
7 You have made your bed on a high and lofty hill;
there you went up to offer your sacrifices.
8 Behind your doors and your doorposts
you have put your pagan symbols.
Forsaking me, you uncovered your bed,
you climbed into it and opened it wide;
you made a pact with those whose beds you love,
and you looked with lust on their naked bodies.
9 You went to Molek[a] with olive oil
and increased your perfumes.
You sent your ambassadors[b] far away;
you descended to the very realm of the dead!
10 You wearied yourself by such going about,
but you would not say, ‘It is hopeless.’
You found renewal of your strength,
and so you did not faint.
11 “Whom have you so dreaded and feared
that you have not been true to me,
and have neither remembered me
nor taken this to heart?
Is it not because I have long been silent
that you do not fear me?
12 I will expose your righteousness and your works,
and they will not benefit you.
13 When you cry out for help,
let your collection of idols save you!
The wind will carry all of them off,
a mere breath will blow them away.
But whoever takes refuge in me
will inherit the land
and possess my holy mountain.”
Comfort for the Contrite
14 And it will be said:

“Build up, build up, prepare the road!
Remove the obstacles out of the way of my people.”
15 For this is what the high and exalted One says—
he who lives forever, whose name is holy:
“I live in a high and holy place,
but also with the one who is contrite and lowly in spirit,
to revive the spirit of the lowly
and to revive the heart of the contrite.
16 I will not accuse them forever,
nor will I always be angry,
for then they would faint away because of me—
the very people I have created.
17 I was enraged by their sinful greed;
I punished them, and hid my face in anger,
yet they kept on in their willful ways.
18 I have seen their ways, but I will heal them;
I will guide them and restore comfort to Israel’s mourners,
19 creating praise on their lips.
Peace, peace, to those far and near,”
says the Lord. “And I will heal them.”
20 But the wicked are like the tossing sea,
which cannot rest,
whose waves cast up mire and mud.
21 “There is no peace,” says my God, “for the wicked.”

Lovin Jesus

Revelation events I believe is in chronological order. The first three chapters are addressed to the church. Chapter four onward refers to the tribulation which never mentions the Church again until the second coming

Revelation 19:14
The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, whiteand clean.

So with that in mind to me the pre trib verse would be
Revelation 3:10
Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come on the whole world to test the inhabitants of the earth.

“For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first.”
‭‭I Thessalonians‬ ‭4:16‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/114/1th.4.16.

The trumpet call from, 1st Thessalonians 4:16

“After these things I looked, and behold, a door standing open in heaven. And the first voice which I heard was like a trumpet speaking with me, saying, “Come up here, and I will show you things which must take place after this.””
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭4:1‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/114/rev.4.1.nkjv

After the trumpet call of Revelation 4:1 where’s the church?

Last edited:

Eric Nicholas

It is difficult to find a stand alone pre trib Revelation. Ive heard most of the verses and they can be twisted to mean something else entirely.
I agree. I'm loath to quote a single verse of anything when such sweeping doctrine is involved or really about any Biblical topic. Sure it can be done, but like you said, single verses can be twisted any which way. We have false religions built around this type of device. I am unsure if any single verse gives proper context to anything in any book, especially Scripture. No offense to the OP, it's just not a thing that I commit to, hardly ever.

Lovin Jesus

“For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first.”
‭‭I Thessalonians‬ ‭4:16‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/114/1th.4.16.

The trumpet call from, 1st Thessalonians 4:16

“After these things I looked, and behold, a door standing open in heaven. And the first voice which I heard was like a trumpet speaking with me, saying, “Come up here, and I will show you things which must take place after this.””
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭4:1‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/114/rev.4.1.nkjv

After the trumpet call of Revelation 4:1 where’s the church?
Rebelation 19:14

Lovin Jesus

I agree. I'm loath to quote a single verse of anything when such sweeping doctrine is involved or really about any Biblical topic. Sure it can be done, but like you said, single verses can be twisted any which way. We have false religions built around this type of device. I am unsure if any single verse gives proper context to anything in any book, especially Scripture. No offense to the OP, it's just not a thing that I commit to, hardly ever.
Difference between false religions is that believers have the Holy Spirit, and they dont. The Holy Spirit reveals Gods word to believers who seek to understand

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member
Not single verses per say, but I Thessalonians 5:1-11 is my main justification for the pretribulation rapture. That we are not appointed to God's Wrath, and the tribulation (once the seals are opened in heaven) is God's wrath on earth. It is judgement, which is why the only one found worthy to open the seals is Jesus. I think that is the most clear reference to the rapture in the Bible.

I also read Revelation as chronological, and view Jesus's call to John to "Come up here!" at the end of the letters to the churches as symbolizing the rapture. The only time we see the church mentioned after that is in heaven. The church of Laodicea is not saved (Jesus stands at the door and knocks-means that Jesus is on the outside, also they are blind and naked-trusting in their own works for salvation) and I believe represent all the churches that will be left behind to experience the tribulation.

The fact that the church is referred to as Jesus's bride, and the parallels between a wedding supper and the end times are often referenced throughout the Bible makes the Song of Songs an intriguing book, to say the least. Centrally located in the Bible, the theme is a Gentile bride in love with a shepherd who is away, and who calls her up to him, to "Come away." I think Song of Songs is a prophecy book.

" Because you have kept the word of My perseverance, I also will keep you from the hour of testing, that hour which is about to come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth. " (Revelation 3:10, NASB, emphasis mine)

I feel that what many get wrong about the Rapture is that they think the Lord takes the Church off the planet to protect us. But if protection wre the only issue, the Lord is more than capable of protecting someone here on Earth. Examples: Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-Nego went into the flames of Nebuchadnezzar's furnace, and weren't even singed; Daniel went into the lions' den and was not so much as scratched, Jehoshaphat rode into battle alongside Ahab and was unscatherd (can't say the same for Ahab!). If the Lord wants to, He can defend and protect people on this planet.

That said: I feel the reason the Lord takes the Church in the Rapture before the Tribulation is: The Lord wants His Bride and is entitled to her! Just as much as any of us would want to get someone we love out of a situation and bring them home before we deal with it, the Lord wants the Church home with Him, by His side where she belongs. And that brings us to the text quoted above: "keep you from". Were the Lord to simply protect the Church here on Earth, Scripture would read "Deliver you through" or "preserve you during".Were that the case, the word used would have been diasózó (Strong's 1295). Instead, the word used is téreó (Strong's 5083) means " to watch over, to guard", which admittedly would normally denote being protected in the time of testing. But this is followed by ek (Strong's 1537) , which means " from, from out of ". So taken together, it would literally read "to watch over or guard you from out of the time of testing". Or in other words, "to keep you from the time of testing".

So, with al that in mind, that becomes a very strong contender for me why the Rapture is Pre-Trib.

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
I think Song of Songs is a prophecy book.

It's a very beautiful love poem but like you said also includes so much more.

10 My beloved spoke and said to me, “Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, come with me. 11 See! The winter is past; the rains are over and gone. 12 Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come, the cooing of doves is heard in our land. 13 The fig tree forms its early fruit; the blossoming vines spread their fragrance. Arise, come, my darling; my beautiful one, come with me.”

Things that make you go "hmmmmm"

TrustinHim

I thought this passage from Isaiah seemed to be describing the rapture Isaiah 26: 19 -21
Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in the dust: for thy dew is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead. Come my people enter thou into thy chambers and shut thy doors about thee, hide thyself as it were for a little moment, until the indignation be overpast. For behold the Lord cometh out of his place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity....

Hidden

Since the Church was a mystery that was hidden for ages, it's not surprising that there are scant references about the rapture. The doctrine of the rapture is based on knowing the full counsel of God, having a good understanding how He moves in various ways and at various times throughout history.

The best verse that support the rapture for me is the multi-layered 1 Thessalonians 5:9, followed by Revelation 3:8 at a close second.

Lovin Jesus

Since the Church was a mystery that was hidden for ages, it's not surprising that there are scant references about the rapture. The doctrine of the rapture is based on knowing the full counsel of God, having a good understanding how He moves in various ways and at various times throughout history.

The best verse that support the rapture for me is the multi-layered 1 Thessalonians 5:9, followed by Revelation 3:8 at a close second.
I think there’s no doubt there will be a rapture but I believe what the OP is asking is scripture basis for a pre tribulation rapture.

Paulbeaird

I won’t give you a single verse but I can narrow it down to parts of three chapters.

First, read Revelation 4 and note the 24 elders. Who are these elders? Who do they represent? The answer lies in Revelation 5:8-10 which says:

“Now when He had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each having a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. And they sang a new song, saying: “You are worthy to take the scroll, And to open its seals; For You were slain, And have redeemed us to God by Your blood Out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation, And have made us kings and priests to our God; And we shall reign on the earth.””

‭‭Revelation‬ ‭5:8-10‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

https://www.bible.com/114/rev.5.8-10.nkjv

In other words, the 24 elders represent all who have been redeemed by the blood of Christ.

If all who have been redeemed by Christ are in the throne room of Heaven at this point in Revelation, that means they are no longer on Earth ( can’t be in two places at once). This is just one proof that the Rapture has happened.

Now look at the sequence of this event with the 24 elders in relation to the judgement ( tribulation) of the Earth. The first seal isn’t opened until Revelation chapter 6. By that time, the church has already been removed. This is proof that the Rapture is a pretribulation Rapture.

Here’s a promise from Jesus himself. Read Revelation 3:18-21. Note that Jesus is warning the Laodicean Church. Notice how Jesus tells them to buy gold from him and to get white garments from him. Compare that to the golden crowns and white robes worn by the 24 elders in Revelation 4.

Then note what Jesus says in Revelation 3:21:

“To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.”

‭‭Revelation‬ ‭3:21‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

https://www.bible.com/114/rev.3.21.nkjv

Jesus is promising that those who overcome will get to sit with Him at His throne. This is promise reaches its fulfillment in Revelation 4 which is set in the throne room of Heaven.

gregb4hope

I don't have an answer, but I am going to watch this thread as I want to hear what others say too. :) I know one thing that brings me comfort is that when the tribulation period is detailed in the book of Revelation, there is no mention or need for the church whatsoever in all of those chapters. I also am curious if people think that Isaiah 57 is referring to the rapture and it happening before the Trib phase.?

The righteous perish,
and no one takes it to heart;
the devout are taken away,
and no one understands
that the righteous are taken away
to be spared from evil.
2 Those who walk uprightly
enter into peace;
they find rest as they lie in death.
3 “But you—come here, you children of a sorceress,
you offspring of adulterers and prostitutes!
4 Who are you mocking?
At whom do you sneer
and stick out your tongue?
Are you not a brood of rebels,
the offspring of liars?
5 You burn with lust among the oaks
and under every spreading tree;
you sacrifice your children in the ravines
and under the overhanging crags.
6 The idols among the smooth stones of the ravines are your portion;
indeed, they are your lot.
Yes, to them you have poured out drink offerings
and offered grain offerings.
In view of all this, should I relent?
7 You have made your bed on a high and lofty hill;
there you went up to offer your sacrifices.
8 Behind your doors and your doorposts
you have put your pagan symbols.
Forsaking me, you uncovered your bed,
you climbed into it and opened it wide;
you made a pact with those whose beds you love,
and you looked with lust on their naked bodies.
9 You went to Molek[a] with olive oil
and increased your perfumes.
You sent your ambassadors[b] far away;
you descended to the very realm of the dead!
10 You wearied yourself by such going about,
but you would not say, ‘It is hopeless.’
You found renewal of your strength,
and so you did not faint.
11 “Whom have you so dreaded and feared
that you have not been true to me,
and have neither remembered me
nor taken this to heart?
Is it not because I have long been silent
that you do not fear me?
12 I will expose your righteousness and your works,
and they will not benefit you.
13 When you cry out for help,
let your collection of idols save you!
The wind will carry all of them off,
a mere breath will blow them away.
But whoever takes refuge in me
will inherit the land
and possess my holy mountain.”
Comfort for the Contrite
14 And it will be said:

“Build up, build up, prepare the road!
Remove the obstacles out of the way of my people.”
15 For this is what the high and exalted One says—
he who lives forever, whose name is holy:
“I live in a high and holy place,
but also with the one who is contrite and lowly in spirit,
to revive the spirit of the lowly
and to revive the heart of the contrite.
16 I will not accuse them forever,
nor will I always be angry,
for then they would faint away because of me—
the very people I have created.
17 I was enraged by their sinful greed;
I punished them, and hid my face in anger,
yet they kept on in their willful ways.
18 I have seen their ways, but I will heal them;
I will guide them and restore comfort to Israel’s mourners,
19 creating praise on their lips.
Peace, peace, to those far and near,”
says the Lord. “And I will heal them.”
20 But the wicked are like the tossing sea,
which cannot rest,
whose waves cast up mire and mud.
21 “There is no peace,” says my God, “for the wicked.”

While your reference to Isaiah 57 is a powerful chapter of God's deliverance for those who are righteous and His mercy revives the spirit of the humble. The MacAuthur commentary I am using titles the chapter verses 1-14 as "Israel's Futile Idolary" and beginning in verse 14-21 "Healing for the Backslider". I don't always support the view of commentaries but they do give very good guidelines in general. You can easily apply this to our generation among the Gentiles and it feels more supportive of Romans CH 11. The rapture doctrine seems somewhat silent to me.[/QUOTE]

gregb4hope

Revelation events I believe is in chronological order. The first three chapters are addressed to the church. Chapter four onward refers to the tribulation which never mentions the Church again until the second coming

Revelation 19:14
The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, whiteand clean.

So with that in mind to me the pre trib verse would be
Revelation 3:10
Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come on the whole world to test the inhabitants of the earth.

You are referring the Jesus letter to the Church of Philadelphia and it is a good one indeed. It definitely gives hope to a remnant within the Seven Churches, Jesus addresses. He makes references to those who have the "key of David" as well and for me it has been difficult to determine just what is meant by this phrase. This would probably be my number two supportive verse. My number one pick is in 1 Thess 5:3 " When they say peace and safety then sudden destruction". The Apostle Paul isn't giving us a day but is giving us a "sign" or an event. This event matches up well with Daniel 70th Week which begins the 7 year Tribulation. This "sign" can only occur at the beginning as he clue us here. It can't happen at Mid (abomination of desolation)or Post Tribulation( Battle of Armageddon) which neither is about a "peace and Safety" happening. Perhaps the verse and chapter numbering system mask what we are obviously being told but it shouldn't. This was first a letter and there would be no breaks in thought in a letter format concerning the timing sign of the rapture. Review this and tell me what you think? How does it read to you?

Last edited:
Back