What is Sin?

Ruth

The original sin was commited by Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden.

Eve was decieved by the liar of all liars - the best - but still - her sin was that she turned her back on God and choose herself over Him.

Adam did the same only he wasn't deceived by the best, he just chose out of his own desires. Both sins equally wrong but so many people put the heavier burden on Eve because she went first but Adam wasn't being deceived - he chose with an open view.

Rather than saying "Father, what should I do?" He chose her (and utlimately his own needs) over his love and commitment to God.

This is the best example of rebellion which is choosing self over God.

Throughout the scriptures, everytime Israel was chastized by God is was because they forgot how much He loved them and all He had done for them and chose their lusts of the flesh and self over their love and devotion to Him.

All except for a few: Abraham was willing to give up his own son, Noah gave up his position and dignity in society, and the list goes on.

Their choice of God over self and trusting God over their own human wisdom was counted to them as rightousness.

Trusting God through the work of Jesus Christ in our salvation is evidenced by our loving Him and choosing Him over self in our lives.
1 John 2:4
The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

When Jesus said, I never knew you in Matthew 7
22Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

He wasn't saying that He knew them once and now he doesn't. He is saying that He NEVER knew them. The same reference to the word 'know' is in the 1 John 2:4 scripture above.

1 John 2:4
The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

And what does our Lord command?

Matthew 22:36 "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" 37Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Sin is direct rebellion against God. We are reconciled to God through Jesus. The true definition of peace is not when there is no war on earth - but when there is no longer war between you and God.

In that reconiliation - there can no longer be sin as in rebellion.

Romans 6:5If we have been united with him like this in his death, we will certainly also be united with him in his resurrection. 6For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with,[a] that we should no longer be slaves to sin— 7because anyone who has died has been freed from sin.

Are we still in the flesh? Yes
Will we still do things that are rebellious and would have been considered sin? Yes
Are we under condemnation for it? No

We also cannot lose our savlation unless any mere man or woman has figured out how to ressurect their old self from the dead.

1 Cor 3 12If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, 13his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man's work. 14If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. 15If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames.

Back