What in Heaven’s Name are You Talking About?

RobinMc

That's an interesting perspective. Are you against only specific technology, or all of it? Because, if you think about it, everything from a chair to a pillowcase to a telescope is technology. So, do you think we'll wander eternity with nothing but animals, plants and dirt, with no inventions or science or anything, or are you singling out specific things (like saying that airplanes won't exist because we'll be able to teleport everywhere).

I disagree with the first, but am open to the second. I think we'll be surrounded by human creativity, whether that's books, computers, electron microscopes, or anything else. Mostly because all those things help humans understand God's creation better and thus praise Him more. Even something like a gun - not used to harm anyone, of course - I think will still be around (for shooting contests! And because it displays the properties of gunpowder, which is a neat substance).

I'm curious what you actually think about technology in eternity!
I guess that I think it will be more like the garden of Eden, just nature, plants, animals, people and God. What could be better? I also picture lying down on moss and getting a nap. I don't remember any mention of Adam and Eve having a house or a bed, but I really don't know how they lived. I do trust God to make it perfect, without any advice from me, and there is talk of mansions, so that definitely sounds like an interior space.
I use a computer all day, it has it good points and uses, but many times I am so frustrated with it, same with the phone. I see parents glues to their phones while their children try to get their attention, doesn't seem like a good thing. Will we still have to google to find out answers to stuff? Maybe it will be a choice, I choose to not have technology, I'll be happy to work in the garden every day.

WelshAgri

I’m looking forward to being instantly changed in the rapture, I refer to one of my character traits which I don’t like and struggle with a lot that of being an introvert who doesn’t like being in crowds of people. With all the people who will instantly be together in the rapture I’d feel very awkward, but I guess the Lord knows that and I’ll no longer be an introvert, and of course we’ll no longer struggle with our tendencies towards certain sinful character traits.

JamesSuth

They continually expanded the limits of their skills, knowledge and experience,
God is a creator, and I imagine that He will continue creating in Heaven and that there will also be avenues for us to continue to expand our skills, knowledge and experience. I think it is a lie of the enemy that Heaven is boring with us standing around in white doing nothing. We have seen so many exciting and amazing things in our own personal lives but also in the world we live in. I really don't think that the extent of skills, knowledge, experience, creation that has happened on earth is the full extent of it. We often think 'will such and such be in Heaven'. I have thought like that, but the more I dwell on the nature of God I think every good thing of this live will be in Heaven - only perfect and permanent, but more importantly everything that has happened on earth is just the start of the creating and discovering rather than the full extent of it.
Eternity has to be enough to thrill even those who have experienced life on earth to its fullest, and not for just a day or two but forever. It has to take each of our unique preferences and interests to the max, while doing the same for everyone else and at the same time.
Good point. People who lived in say the year 800 AD would see our lives and think 'that would satisfy me for eternity'! But we too are going to get to Heaven and be amazed. We are going to have time to learn lots of languages, musical instruments or other things there are not time for on earth, and to continue the expansion of culture.

And everything will be done fully with God and with the Lord. I couldn't imagine wanting to do anything, even write a letter without Christ in eternity :). It is also interesting that God even tells us now that He will never stop expanding his Government in eternity (Isaiah 9:7).

Batfan7

I guess that I think it will be more like the garden of Eden, just nature, plants, animals, people and God. What could be better? I also picture lying down on moss and getting a nap. I don't remember any mention of Adam and Eve having a house or a bed, but I really don't know how they lived. I do trust God to make it perfect, without any advice from me, and there is talk of mansions, so that definitely sounds like an interior space.
I use a computer all day, it has it good points and uses, but many times I am so frustrated with it, same with the phone. I see parents glues to their phones while their children try to get their attention, doesn't seem like a good thing. Will we still have to google to find out answers to stuff? Maybe it will be a choice, I choose to not have technology, I'll be happy to work in the garden every day.

Ha! Well, I don't begrudge you your idea of fun. For me, that sounds awful (I avoid the outdoors and love all things computer related.), So I have no doubt you'll get to be a gardener or a animal-keeper... And I'll make spreadsheets and write books and such. Actually, a little more realistically, I'll probably like nature more once it's free of all the endless annoyances (bugs stop biting sunburns stop happening, dirt stops sticking to me, etc), and maybe you'll discover some joy in technology once it too is free of the curse of sin (free of companies focusing on profit over everything else, designers who make things intuitive and bug-free, machines that don't break and are not polluters or otherwise harmful, etc).

I'll visit your garden and blog about how beautiful it is :)

RobinMc

This article reminds me so much of Randy Alcorn's book Heaven. As an avid gardener, I would LOVE to be one of God's gardeners in heaven!
I'm a master gardener here on earth, and I would love to garden without weeds and thorns, aphids and snakes. (I've already killed 2 so far this spring) But without all that, I really don't know what the gardener will do, I guess maybe it won't be a full time job. Hope we can work together!

Batman

Joshua, Jesus understands! Praying for you.
I completely agree, Joshua. It is so hard to hear that people often are alone and cannot truly find companionship, friendship, brothers/sisters in the faith, or even family to ease that pain. I will pray for you too; and I believe you will be so surrounded and loved and attended to and able to fellowship with your direct family line back to Noah and Adam as well as all other brothers/sisters once we are all together that you will feel the reward and eternal blessings and have no tears or pain from your time here on earth.

Nemophilist

I'm a master gardener here on earth, and I would love to garden without weeds and thorns, aphids and snakes. (I've already killed 2 so far this spring) But without all that, I really don't know what the gardener will do, I guess maybe it won't be a full time job. Hope we can work together

That would be awesome, wouldn't it? I thought about taking the master gardener course, but was too lazy :). I haven't encountered any snakes yet this year, and hope I don't! I'm hoping there will be vast, beautiful gardens in heaven. Flowers in colors that do not exist on earth.

Batman

That would be awesome, wouldn't it? I thought about taking the master gardener course, but was too lazy :). I haven't encountered any snakes yet this year, and hope I don't! I'm hoping there will be vast, beautiful gardens in heaven. Flowers in colors that do not exist on earth.
Years ago in an older creation type video there were some gentlemen talking about seeing, hearing, smelling, and tasting colors. I found that fascinating. They wondered the same for seeing, smelling, and tasting sound. I don't recall all that was said but the wonders to come will be fantastic for sure.

Nemophilist

Years ago in an older creation type video there were some gentlemen talking about seeing, hearing, smelling, and tasting colors. I found that fascinating. They wondered the same for seeing, smelling, and tasting sound. I don't recall all that was said but the wonders to come will be fantastic for sure.
Wow! That is great food for thought. Can't wait to see it all!

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I’m looking forward to being instantly changed in the rapture, I refer to one of my character traits which I don’t like and struggle with a lot that of being an introvert who doesn’t like being in crowds of people. With all the people who will instantly be together in the rapture I’d feel very awkward, but I guess the Lord knows that and I’ll no longer be an introvert, and of course we’ll no longer struggle with our tendencies towards certain sinful character traits.

I don't like being in crowds, either. I'm very claustrophobic and cleithrophobic, so I'm looking forward to having lots of space so I'm not elbow to elbow :smile

God made us the way we are for His wonderful purposes . . . introverts included. It's that the majority of people are extroverts and they think there is something wrong with us because we're different, and because they are the majority, they have knowingly and unknowingly constructed social norms that tend to marginalize/disadvantage introverts. No different than very short or very tall people having to adapt to/struggle with furniture, cabinets, car seats, etc. engineered and made for "average" (majority) people.

I think when the Rapture occurs, we'll all be comfortable with who we are and how God made us and understand His purposes. Any/all defects wiped away, but I don't think introversion per se is a defect.

:hug :console

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I hope there's a part of Heaven that's dark so I can sit and look at and admire and learn about the planets and stars and universes and nebulae and etc. Without mosquitoes and chiggers :tappingfoot

Always happier being up all night :smile Much, much easier on the eyes . . . and quiet. Yup, really quiet would be really good, too :smile

Except for gorgeous, reverent worship and prayer :smile

Bet God's stained glass windows put the stained glass windows in even the most glorious churches/chapels on earth to shame :smile

Ditto paintings . . . Michaelangelo can't hold a candle to God :lol

:pray :pray :amen :amen