What Has Helped You with Physical Pain?

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
I read years ago about 'arthritis dogs'. After researching, basically it is a dog to lay on an inflamed joint. The warmth from the animal helped with pain.

Enough can not be said about maintaining a positive attitude. It's hard when you feel bad or hurt so bad. I find comfort in the verse about His Grace being sufficient....
I dont know how the lost can deal with chronic pain and health issues without the comfort of Jesus Christ.

Kem

Citizen
For my headaches/migraines I often get extremely dizzy and have nausea so sleeping it off is an option I like to do when I'm not on the job clock.
Sometimes sleeping is not an option as the pain is too severe but I have found along with prescription triptans that peppermint oil applied directly to my head from a dropper bottle helps a lot. I dropper it all over my head and the whole house smells of peppermint but it does add a bit to the pain relief. When nothing else helps, a big cold pack wrapped around my head helps.

antitox

In my case I have neuropathy. So early on I started taking B12 every day. 5 tabs in the morning and 5 in the evening. Sometimes more, depending. But after I started doing that the intense burning pain in my left foot stopped. So all that I get now is tiny pricks or stinging here and there all over me at different times, but it's mild, nothing that bothers me.

After I started taking D3, fiber pill, magnesium, echinacea, beta-sitosterol, I just feel better all-around now. All I have to do is make sure I get enough rest.

For outright pain, joints, or otherwise, I usually go with naproxen and it does the job.

PhilR

I had a knee replacement on my right knee in 2007. I have never had full range of motion like to kneel since. My left knee needs replacing but I am not going through it again. I try to be gentle especially in extending my left leg. I have discovered in the last year that these Copper Fit knee supports really help. I wear it most all the time. If you get one, get a size larger than you think, or it will feel too tight., try it on first before you buy one. It should feel snug but not tight. I wear an extra large size one even though my knee is just average size for a man and they have different sizesn for men and women. I have 2 of them that I alternate wearing and they are washable. They don't last forever and may start to tear. But I think they are worth it.. I also take Neproxin sometimes. Knee pain is subject to pressure changes in the weather.

Leigh

Sometimes sleeping is not an option as the pain is too severe but I have found along with prescription triptans that peppermint oil applied directly to my head from a dropper bottle helps a lot. I dropper it all over my head and the whole house smells of peppermint but it does add a bit to the pain relief. When nothing else helps, a big cold pack wrapped around my head helps.
I've gotten migraines regularly since about age 19 (right after having my wisdom teeth pulled, actually). You're right, sometimes peppermint oil does help, especially if the migraine is just starting. Cold packs do too, but neither one makes the pain go away completely. {Boy I could write a whole book about things to try!}

For meds, mostly I use BC headache powders. Tylenol won't begin to touch a headache... ibuprofen helps a little... naproxen is okay to get me through the night, but BC powders work the best. (I do have prescription Zomig... it's okay but makes me feel drugged.)

Doctors always warn about the dangers of NSAIDs, so I am careful to NEVER take it without some food (peanut butter crackers if nothing else) and plenty of water.

Eating protein seems to help as long as it doesn't contain MSG.

Leigh

Part 2:

As far as sleep, that does help but I have to prop up because if I lay down, the pain worsens.

Years ago I bought a Johnny Mathis greatest hits CD and used to play that after I took some medicine and propped up to sleep, and believe it or not, often I'd wake up feeling SO much better. Having soothing music to focus on seemed to relax me.

Kem

Citizen
{Boy I could write a whole book about things to try!}
lol I could write a number of chapters in your book. lol Speaking of music, before any triptans were legal in this country, only fioricet helped and then only partially or not at all. One thing I used to do is put in my earphones and use my portable tape player to play Christian music. I started singing along with it even while in pain because I wanted to praise the Lord in all circumstances. Sometimes I sang for hours and sometimes it would completely take the pain away.

alisani

Anti-inflammatory diet. Helps reduce symptoms and flare ups related to autoimmune disease. More research is supporting gut health with immune health.

Foam rollers in tandem with stretching and flexibility exercise.

Rest without guilt. Guilt undoes the whole purpose of rest!

NAC. 600 mg. Twice daily. Improved lung function related to connective tissue disorders.

Ashwagandha and teas of turmeric, stinging nettle and slippery elm.

Kem

Citizen
Doctors always warn about the dangers of NSAIDs, so I am careful to NEVER take it without some food (peanut butter crackers if nothing else) and plenty of water.
lol I used to be, probably for at least 40 years, a strict no eating during the night person. Now I keep crackers in my bedside table in case I have to take medication in the night. Also I agree with you about the sleeping with head and shoulders propped up thing. For some reason it seems to help.

JSTyler

I started singing along with it even while in pain because I wanted to praise the Lord in all circumstances. Sometimes I sang for hours and sometimes it would completely take the pain away.
The obligatory but necessary caveat to this quote... See here's the problem with that method; I sing and forget some of my pain even as I inflict pain on others.
Eating protein seems to help as long as it doesn't contain MSG.
This!

We had a consultation with a nutritionist not so long ago, not a dietician, but a nutritionist. She evaluated our eating habits for about half our session, and only then offered some suggestions. I was always hungry and always aching. I do a load of heavy physical labor and can barely roll out of bed and walk upright many days. The upshot is that I was extremely behind on protein intake. Based on my weight I was eating about 1/4 of my daily requirements. So, the answer; eggs, peanut butter, chicken, more protein powder in my smoothies, chili beans (my poor wife) etcetera. :dance2 All stuff I love to eat.

I have a LOT less pain in my everything, a lot more energy and my body recovers from physical stress faster. So, protein works for me.

Also, for arthritic hands, a wax spa. It's amazing short-term relief. And hemp based cbd oil. (hope this is okay to post).

As @Tall Timbers mentioned. Develop a personal program of stretches and exercises.

Kem

Citizen
The obligatory but necessary caveat to this quote... See here's the problem with that method; I sing and forget some of my pain even as I inflict pain on others.
lol God tells us to praise Him. Thankfully He doesn't grade us according to how pleasant sounding the singing is. One morning my youngest came out to the living room after I had been singing for hours and said "mom, you sing good in church but when you have a head ache, you sound terrible!" lol

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Never heard of singing to relieve pain.
Wonder what would happen if a choirmaster volunteered in an oncology ward or spinal cord unit :hmmm
:choir

Reactions: Kem

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Wonder if the VA would let me do this once wuhan virus under enough control that I could work (or vounteer) outside of the house without endangering Dad :thinking