What exactly was Satan's motive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgeO

I’m in numbo on this conversation at this time. My educational skills are limited.
But if someone is personally saying that Jesus is God and He died for our sins and rose from the dead for us then they are of us.
Dave S may have a favorable view or a different view of biblical understanding than some of us. But we are all believers in the Lord. Right?
Satan has been a subject throughout the entire Bible so it seems to me to be important. Not nearly as important than Jesus but satan was always there and here today.
I have no objection to Dave S input.
I may be wrong but I have been wrong before.

mattfivefour

I completely agree, George. Which is why I address Dave as my brother. If he is a true believer in Christ (and I have no reason at this time to suspect he is not) then he is exactly that— a precious brother. My only reason for my firm insertion into this thread is over the topic.

All teaching must lead to the glorifying of God, the edifying of the saints, for the building up of the body of Christ in order to do His work. My concern is that through the current thread the focus becomes more on considering Satan and his motives rather than on Christ's victorious triumph—which occurred despite all that Old Splitfoot could do to prevent it. I do not know Satan's motive for that, other than he hates God and somehow believes that he can prevent God's plan and thereby depose Him! Stupid beyond belief, but I cannot imagine anything else. The Bible tells us of Satan's pride, his foolishness, and his pure evilness. That's all I need to know about him.

To look for motive in anything or anyone is a fool's game. The Bible says we cannot discern even another person's motives and, in fact, we cannot always know our OWN heart. So how could we discern God's motives, who is infinitely above us? Or even Satan's, who is way above us in power, though far below us in position thanks to Christ's finished work?

mattfivefour

Alright. Sufficient time has been given for an answer, so I am going to close this thread ... with the words of a man of God far wiser than I: Charles Spurgeon.

"Avoid foolish questions."
Titus 3:9

Our days are few, and are far better spent in doing good, than in disputing over matters which are, at best, of minor importance. The old theologians did a world of mischief by their incessant discussion of subjects of no practical importance; and our Churches suffer much from petty wars over abstruse points and unimportant questions. After everything has been said that can be said, neither party is any the wiser, and therefore the discussion no more promotes knowledge than love, and it is foolish to sow in so barren a field. Questions upon points wherein Scripture is silent; upon mysteries which belong to God alone; upon prophecies of doubtful interpretation; and upon mere modes of observing human ceremonials, are all foolish, and wise men avoid them. Our business is neither to ask nor answer foolish questions, but to avoid them altogether; and if we observe the apostle's precept (Titus 3:8) to be careful to maintain good works, we shall find ourselves far too much occupied with profitable business to take much interest in unworthy, contentious, and needless strivings.

There are, however, some questions which are the reverse of foolish, which we must not avoid, but fairly and honestly meet, such as these: Do I believe in the Lord Jesus Christ? Am I renewed in the spirit of my mind? Am I walking not after the flesh, but after the Spirit? Am I growing in grace? Does my conversation adorn the doctrine of God my Savior? Am I looking for the coming of the Lord, and watching as a servant should do who expects his master? What more can I do for Jesus? Such inquiries as these urgently demand our attention; and if we have been at all given to quibbling, let us now turn our critical abilities to a service so much more profitable. Let us be peace-makers, and endeavor to lead others both by our precept and example, to "avoid foolish questions."​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back