What does this mean?

SoftTouch

Prophetic Realist
Philippians 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

? :scratch:

This verse has always troubled me...

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel

US Veterans Flag 1776
Here's part of one commmentary on Philippians 2:

The application is in three sentences, which together form a single appeal with a threefold concern: (1) that they return to their common cause, partly (2) for the sake of the gospel in the world and partly also (3) for Paul's sake, and thus for their mutual joy. The first sentence (vv. 12-13) speaks generally, urging that they show their "obedience" by getting their corporate act together (work out your salvation). And lest he be misunderstood, Paul adds an encouraging theological word: God has committed himself to effecting their "obedience" for his own good pleasure.

that's from Bible Gateway (link the board uses)
http://www.biblegateway.com/resourc...getCommentaryText&cid=8&source=1&seq=i.57.2.3

This one is a little longer:
"Work Out Your Own Salvation"

This is that is heard and quoted from God's Word many times in messages and articles. What does Paul mean when he says to all saints in Phil. 2:12, "To work out your own salvation with fear and trembling?" Is this the spiritual work going on in the life of a saint, from the time of the Passover, when one accepts Christ as his Passover, to the time God will harvest that saint as part of His Firstfruits, pictured at Pentecost?

God's work of harvesting His spiritual Firstfruits involves a spiritual work, that should be going on in every Christian's life, that His Word speaks of as, "working out your own salvation." This is God's great miracle work, that He desires of all His called and chosen ones, and a work they should be wholeheartedly involved in, concerning all their life and conduct. It requires much effort on the part of all of His believers, to accomplish God's great work of creating new sons for His Kingdom. Are you diligently working with Him, or against Him, in doing the work of God in your life, to become one of His sons?

In today's world of confessed Christianity, its members are confused and deceived, and believe there is no personal spiritual work that has to be accomplished in a Christian's life. Attending services on Sunday is all that is needed for them to do. Christ's teaching about repentance, obedience, justification, grace, and how one is accepted by Christ for salvation, has through the teaching of Satan's ministers, confused and deceived them. Likewise and shameful, many church of God, 7th day Sabbath keepers are now accepting the same confusion and deception! Are you a church member of the belief that you have nothing to do, or to fear, in doing God's Work in your life? Some believe that just attending services and fellowshipping on the Sabbath with a church group, is all there is to working out your salvation. Has Christ done it all, and now there is nothing left for you to do, or fear, in receiving salvation in your life?

Has the Church of God ministry inspired you to do the work of God in your life, and are they teaching you, just what it is that you should be doing to work out your salvation? Some ministers are now teaching that doctrine is not all that important in working out your salvation. Does that teaching strike a fear in you? It should! Is that teaching truth or error? Do you feel secure with that teaching and understanding, and that there is nothing to fear in following such a ministry?......................

.................. More and more Church of God members are losing what they seem to have, because they have not been taking seriously the effort and labor that is needed in study, prayer, and proving doctrine, to work out their own salvation.

Here's the link, there is a lot in between the space I left above:
http://members.aol.com/YOU59/workoutsalvation.html

Last edited:

BuzzardHut

Bird Mod
Philippians 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

? :scratch:

This verse has always troubled me...
What Daniel said. :thumbup

True salvation comes from within through the Holy Spirit and as James 2 says we allow the works of God to flow through us out to this world that desperately needs a touch from God. (and if this is not happening we need to check on our salvation)

False Cults teach salvation begins from without through good works and goes within.

True Christianity teaches salvation begins within through the Holy Spirit and works out to the watching world.

Ruth

I always understood that passage to mean to always remember the cost of your salvation and to whom you belong. that we should remember to consider the depth of our hopelessness and understand the consequences of our inability to pay our debt. Once that is understood then we are to consider what our fate was at the judgment of a just God. The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. Then to count the cost to God for our redemption. Then to count the cost of dieing to self and being born again denying the trappings of this world and living in the eternal.

To me that scripture always was a message to the type of people who speak of saying the sinner's prayer and then one is saved. The gift of grace is not cheap and for us to fully understand the implications, we need to work out our salvation with fear and trembling.

I hope that adds in nicely to the other responses which I also agree with.

SoftTouch

Prophetic Realist
Good answers thank you! I don't believe in 'Easy Believeism' at all! I Know there's more to Salvation then just saying you believe (God's word says the devils believe - James 2 ). I have issues with the whole OSAS teachings because they seem to imply Easy Believeism. But then I'm confused about how Salvation can be a Free Gift not dependent on Works when it does seem that we are required to do much more then just Believe.

Romans 10: 9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Now I know that verse does not stand alone and must be taken in context with other scriptures, but so many preachers and christians will cite this verse and say that's all there is to it...

Now I have another question... I know what the Fruits of the Spirit are, but What are the good works? (e.g., taking care of the poor and widow's I know, but I know there must be more). Where do I find them in Scripture?

Ruth

God likens our relationship as His bride.

I always look at it that way. A bride who says her 'vows' and then takes off to the bar was not sincere about her vows nor did she fully understand what she was saying.

A bride who sincerely understood what she said and made the commitment with all earnestness spends the rest of her life to please her husband and loves HIM with all her soul.

That analogy always helps me understand it easier.

Last edited:

ub4war

bond servant of Christ
to me it means this--It is the glory of God to conceal a matter;
to search out a matter is the glory of kings

work out your own salvation =to search out a matter is the glory of kings

and --with fear and trembling.--means to keep in mind that--

Luke 22:31
And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:
1 Peter 5:8
Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

And never Letting this happen---Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD.
Jer 17:5

and never trusting my heart----(Jer 17:9) ---The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
Knowing that-----Ephesians 6
10Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
11Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Back