What Does It Mean to Believe in Jesus?

Simon

What a great thread this is. Thank you Don for your testimony and all your other contributions.

I had similar experiences to Don and it's my belief that most Christians lack assurance of their salvation at some point. So I feel compelled and inspired to add to what's already been written in this thread.

I have posted it as a separate thread in "Testimonies".

Here: https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/threads/assurance-of-salvation.130276/

Brother Albert R.

IdonJohn: Thank you so much for sharing. I personally am still struggling with this. I tend to have scary moments when I think, "Am I really saved?" or "Is my faith really in Christ alone?" and it's so tempting to re-pray the prayer of salvation over and over, as I've done in the past. I'm praying that God will open my eyes to the truth, what I need to understand.
Those who are saved are those who are forgiven. Our assurance comes with knowing who we are trusting in...ourselves or Jesus. Our lives will reflect what our hearts truly believe. Those who are not saved, do not desire to please God nor want His forgiveness. You will know that you are saved if you know that you have been forgiven. Luke 1:77, 24:47, Eph. 1:7 (remission=forgiveness of sins)
Brother Albert

ldonjohn

Those who are saved are those who are forgiven. Our assurance comes with knowing who we are trusting in...ourselves or Jesus. Our lives will reflect what our hearts truly believe. Those who are not saved, do not desire to please God nor want His forgiveness. You will know that you are saved if you know that you have been forgiven. Luke 1:77, 24:47, Eph. 1:7 (remission=forgiveness of sins)
Brother Albert
Yes, Bro. Albert, the moment I realized that my forgiveness was not by anything I had done or could do, but that my sins were nailed to the cross with Jesus, then I "got it." It was a Holy Spirit "turn on the light" event for me that replaced years of fear with everlasting peace.

sara ann

It means to die to self...Love our Lord Jesus will all of your heart! edit to add: now this sounds like I can do this all the time....wrong...there are many times I can not get self out of the way...most of the time it's over someone hurting MY feelings...now that's not doing it is it"? I make many many mistakes....thoughts, deeds actions....I'm not there yet....

Last edited:

ldonjohn

Idonjohn, I am so thankful you aren't upset with me.
I will do all that you suggest. I truly love all 3 of the songs you mentioned and will take
the words to heart. I will look up Charlotte Elliott and William Cowper and their biographies.
Also I will read the story you wrote for your little granddaughter.
I sincerely thank you so very much for your kindness!
Donna, have you read the articles & the story that I suggested? Wow, it's been 2 years. How are you?

Don

Len

Len, just thinking about you and wondering how you are doing.
Hi Idonjohn, I would like to say "great" but truth is not much has changed and I am still desperately seeking that peace within and the assurance that says "it is well with my soul", interesting I saw your question as only this morning I was thinking that I just have to be content with the thought that "Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?" and I will either be rejoicing with the saints in heaven or something else! ....... I am at a point where I do realise that I have to get that light turned on as you did ...... I pray and have a morning devotion most days, read the bible when I remember! ...... funnily yesterday I had a coffee with a much older christian man (I am 66yo) who was doubting his relationship with God and I ended up telling him about the message of the "faith of a mustard seed" and explained to him that it is not the amount of faith he had, but the fact that he had it, this was all that was required by God.... but here I am this morning still unsure if I have any faith at all ....

Brother Albert R.

Hi Idonjohn, I would like to say "great" but truth is not much has changed and I am still desperately seeking that peace within and the assurance that says "it is well with my soul", interesting I saw your question as only this morning I was thinking that I just have to be content with the thought that "Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?" and I will either be rejoicing with the saints in heaven or something else! ....... I am at a point where I do realise that I have to get that light turned on as you did ...... I pray and have a morning devotion most days, read the bible when I remember! ...... funnily yesterday I had a coffee with a much older christian man (I am 66yo) who was doubting his relationship with God and I ended up telling him about the message of the "faith of a mustard seed" and explained to him that it is not the amount of faith he had, but the fact that he had it, this was all that was required by God.... but here I am this morning still unsure if I have any faith at all ....
What does it mean to believe and be saved?
Len...You and I believe that this year is 2018. Our dating method is based on the birth of The Son of God. Jesus is Immanuel, God with us. Only God can forgive sins committed against Him. Only Gods blood is sufficient to pay for our transgressions. Our offences were against the eternal God, so our eternal sins need to be met with a sufficient way to be paid. Along comes Jesus, according to...
Isaiah 53 King James Version (KJV)

1 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the Lord revealed?

2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.

11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Len...You and I believe this report (verse 1) ...it is the Gospel...you are saved.
God bless you,
Brother Albert

Last edited:

ldonjohn

1Corinthians 1:18, “For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but to us which are saved it is the power of God.” (KJV)

Len, you say that you want to believe in Jesus to save you but you can't find that “I got it” moment that I found many years ago. I can still recall that miserable time in my life when I wanted to believe, and I would try to work up within myself a sense of strong faith then would say the sinners' prayer begging God to save me. I would “feel” assured for a few days, but soon the fear would return and the misery continued.

Len, I found real saving faith ONLY when I realized that all the praying, begging, and trying to do something to get God to save me was not working for me. I concluded that there was no way that I could ever know the true meaning of “believe in Jesus.”

I became so desperate to know how to really believe in Jesus with genuine saving faith that I realized there was absolutely nothing I could do, and out of that sense of total desperation I just gave up. That's right, Len, I gave up on me.

Len, can you see that God was working in me all that time just to get me to that point of giving up on myself. Can you see that God gave me a life changing gift when He gave me the ability to see that there was NOTHING I could do about my condition. Can you see that God, the Holy Spirit, was drawing me to that moment when I would become so desperate to know Him that I would turn from myself to Him, and I would then completely look to Him for my answer?

God's Word says in Ephesians 2:8-9, “For by grace are you saved, through faith and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast."

We cannot produce within ourselves the faith we need to “believe.” Ephesians 2:8-9 says that saving faith is a gift from God. God gives us saving faith as the Holy Spirit moves in our spirit to convince us to simply turn from our efforts and to just look to Him or to just leave it up to Him, and when we do that He does the convincing.

That's what He did for me, and when He did His work in me I was so completely convinced that there was nothing I could do but to cast my hopeless & helpless self upon the finished work of Jesus that I did not have to even think about “trying to believe.” The Holy Spirit literally made a believer out of me, and I immediately found myself talking to Jesus as though He was right there in the room with me.

I was convinced that Jesus would do what He said He would do in John 6:37, “All the Father gives to me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.” No, I did not see a vision of Jesus, but I just had an overwhelming sense of urgency to thank Him for dying on the cross, to pay my sin debt that I owed God which I could not pay, that I could not help but call out to Him. At that moment I wasn't thinking about how much faith I had or didn't have. I wasn't trying to believe; I didn't need to try to believe because the Holy Spirit had just given the gift of faith that I was so desperately seeking. An enormous sense of relief filled my entire being as a heavy weight had just been removed from my burdened soul.

Len, that was my “I got it” moment, and all I did was just give up on myself and turned to God & His Word for my answer.

I know that God works in all of us in different ways. I don't know exactly how He is working in your life. I don't know if you are “born-again” but are just having assurance issues or if you haven't been given the gift of saving faith that only God can give. Based on your last post I think that God has given you the gift of realizing that you cannot produce within yourself the faith you need to have peace & assurance of salvation. Again, I'm not saying you are not saved; I can't answer that question for you. I am suggesting that you turn to God and totally depend upon Him to lead you to find whatever it is that you need from Him so that you will have peace about the matter of your salvation.

May I suggest that you:

1. Realize that saving faith comes from God; not from yourself, and completely give up on yourself; on any & all self efforts of trying to produce faith within yourself.

2. Ask God to give you the faith of Ephesians 2:8.

3. Study God's Word every day, expecting to find your answer there. I recommend the Gospel of John. Then read Romans. Re-read if necessary. Just don't give up on God; He will show you whatever it is you need when He sees that you are desperate to find HIS Way.

4. Keep reading God's Word expecting Him to “turn on the light” for you so you can find your answer there. Don't give up on God; He wants you to have peace. Give up on self.
Again, I know that God works in us in different ways, and He might work in your life in a somewhat different way than He worked in my life. But I also know that the Holy Spirit leads us to the truth when we search for that truth in His Word.

Hey, Len. You mentioned having lunch with a much older Christian man & that you are 66 yo. Well, I'm approaching 75, October, so I'm older than you are, but I do not think of myself as “old.” I still do things I could do 30 years ago, but the difference is that now it hurts.

Len, I hope this makes sense to you, and that I haven't said anything that offends you.

May God give you the peace that only He can give,

Don

Last edited:

Andy C

Thought I would add the below from brother Jack.

Faith to believe, faith to live:
Question: Where do I find the verses that tell us that the faith for salvation is a special gift from God? The faith for the rest of our Christian life comes from reading the bible and hearing the word preached.

Answer: Faith for salvation being a gift from God is found in Ephesians 2:8-9.
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith–and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God– not by works, so that no one can boast.

Anyone who sincerely asks for salvation receives the faith to believe they have it. As for reading the Bible and hearing the Word preached you’re right. As Romans 10:17 tells us;
Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.

The faith we’re initially given is like a muscle that has to be exercised to grow stronger. That’s why it’s important for believers to study the Bible and listen to God’s word being taught, and then to apply it in their lives. Knowing what we believe and why is the foundation. Putting our faith into action is how we build on it.

James said faith that is not accompanied by action is dead (James 2:17). By that He meant that it’s only theoretical. Faith becomes real when it results in action. This doesn’t mean we have to be sure to act in a certain way so others can see we have faith. It means true faith will be evident in our actions whether anybody sees or not.

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/faith-to-believe-faith-to-live/