What do you think is a healthy balance between fitness and vanity?

I started lifting weights pretty consistently in my college days. It definitely at a point turned into a thing of vanity to me. I was obsessed with bigger, faster, stronger etc. etc.

As I've come closer to God, it's definitely something I became aware of. I have done by best to let go of the pride associated with physical fitness, though I still try to workout 4-5 days per week. I'm very much aware of the vanity and pride associated with such a hobby, as looking around my gym it doesn't take long to find some guy flexing in the mirror or a girl taking a million gym selfies.

Do you think it is sinful to want to look good? I must admit that there is still a sense of accomplishment after seeing some results from consistent weight lifting, running, etc. There's obviously a place where this very easily becomes a problem when you dwell on it and think you are the best and so on. On the flip side, I really do enjoy the physical activity of lifting and considering modern life has us spending most of our time indoors and working in front of a computer it seems like something that is important to devote an hour or so 4-5 times a week to keeping your body in shape. What do you think is a healthy balance?

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I started lifting weights pretty consistently in my college days. It definitely at a point turned into a thing of vanity to me. I was obsessed with bigger, faster, stronger etc. etc.

As I've come closer to God, it's definitely something I became aware of. I have done by best to let go of the pride associated with physical fitness, though I still try to workout 4-5 days per week. I'm very much aware of the vanity and pride associated with such a hobby, as looking around my gym it doesn't take long to find some guy flexing in the mirror or a girl taking a million gym selfies.

Do you think it is sinful to want to look good? I must admit that there is still a sense of accomplishment after seeing some results from consistent weight lifting, running, etc. There's obviously a place where this very easily becomes a problem when you dwell on it and think you are the best and so on. On the flip side, I really do enjoy the physical activity of lifting and considering modern life has us spending most of our time indoors and working in front of a computer it seems like something that is important to devote an hour or so 4-5 times a week to keeping your body in shape. What do you think is a healthy balance?
i don't think there is anything wrong with trying to better yourself by exercising more , just so long as it doesn't affect your relationship with God where it may take priority over him in your life.

A few of the forum members including myself train or exercise 4-5 days a week just like yourself

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Stumbling blocks for each of us can be different. You've identified one of your own. It isn't exercising 4-5 times a week for an hour or so, it's the vanity. Understanding the actual problem may help in parting with it without affecting your exercising. Our bodies seem to have been made to work and those of us who regularly exercise either through hard work or planned fitness times enjoy the healthy benefits of the exercise. I'm really not sure what to say about losing the vanity while keeping the exercise, but prayer is pretty much always the best place to start. As time passes and your body starts to sag in all the wrong places, you'll have nothing to be vane about, but hopefully you can conquer that issue sooner rather than later. :pray

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Stumbling blocks for each of us can be different. You've identified one of your own. It isn't exercising 4-5 times a week for an hour or so, it's the vanity. Understanding the actual problem may help in parting with it without affecting your exercising. Our bodies seem to have been made to work and those of us who regularly exercise either through hard work or planned fitness times enjoy the healthy benefits of the exercise. I'm really not sure what to say about losing the vanity while keeping the exercise, but prayer is pretty much always the best place to start. As time passes and your body starts to sag in all the wrong places, you'll have nothing to be vane about, but hopefully you can conquer that issue sooner rather than later. :pray
I agree, anybody that exercises usually experiences a natural high/endorphin kick after they work out because they have a sense of accomplishment knowing that they got through a bit of adversity