What Do You Feed Your Dog?

What do you feed your dog for his or her main food?

• Kibble

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Canned

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Dehydrted

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Freeze-Dried

• Pre-Pak/Commercial Raw

• Home-made Raw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Table Scraps

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
What do you feed your dog? Kibble? Canned? Dehydrated? Freeze-Dried? Pre-pak/Commercial Raw? Home-made Raw? Table Scraps?

Why? Specific products? What do you like and not like about your choice(s)?

Breed(s) of your dog(s)?

Ghoti Ichthus

I feed my German Shepherd kibble (Wysong Fundamentals). She gets this because it's 40 percent protein and she'd have to eat a lot of a lower protein food to get enough protein, which would lead to obesity because of eating more (too many) carbs and fillers. Can't feed raw because of cost and not having access to a separate refrigerator/freezer to keep dog-specific raw ingredients. She used to get Orijen Large Breed Puppy, but we switched to be extra careful due to the cardiomyopathy thing. I can also use part of her daily kibble as treats/for training :smile

She also gets Fresh Kisses (Coconut) dental treats.

No people food.

What do you feed your dog, and why?

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
My two bull mastiffs get fed canned food in the morning and kibble at night. They're a little chubby, but not fat. Our bigger boy could stand to lose 10 pounds. They also get table scraps most times we eat.... Not a good thing for their weight, but their begging eyes are too hard to resist

Ghoti Ichthus

Purina has been around forever. I feed Purina Adult Complete and supplement with scraps.

Purina paid for and did a lot of the nutrition research that the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) guidelines are based on :smile

I think Purina makes a feed for most domesticated animals :smile

Andy C

Our dog has issues with digestion, so we have to feed him Royal Canin hydrolyzed protein dog food, which gets mailed to us from Chewey.

He is also a little overweight, so he gets a few baby carrots throughout the day vice “snacks”, unless of course my Mother in Law with Alzheimers is spending the night here, in which case she “sneaks” food to her Buddy. She is 85, but her slight of hand rivals a magician.;)

Forgot to add - he is a mix of blue healer and Dachshund - we did not breed him this way, we rescued him when he was a long time stray in our old neighborhood in NC.

Last edited:

Leigh

My son has a beautiful pit bull that he feeds some special, high-quality (expensive) dry food, but I don't know what brand. He also gives her whatever kind of meat he cooks for himself every night, plus fish oil capsules. Her coat is bright and shiny and he says people always comment about how nice she looks.

He drops her off at our house every day when he goes to work (he lives about 5 minutes away from us) so she can go outside in our back yard.... and bark her head off at birds and squirrels and generally drive everybody crazy. Sometimes I feed her leftovers out of our fridge, which my son knows about and doesn't mind as long as it's not too much.

(It should be noted that I've had a lifelong fear of dogs, and here I am not only babysitting a pit bull... but even fixing her the occasional peanut butter sandwich when she gives me her pitiful look.)

:thedog

alisani

My son has a beautiful pit bull that he feeds some special, high-quality (expensive) dry food, but I don't know what brand. He also gives her whatever kind of meat he cooks for himself every night, plus fish oil capsules. Her coat is bright and shiny and he says people always comment about how nice she looks.

He drops her off at our house every day when he goes to work (he lives about 5 minutes away from us) so she can go outside in our back yard.... and bark her head off at birds and squirrels and generally drive everybody crazy. Sometimes I feed her leftovers out of our fridge, which my son knows about and doesn't mind as long as it's not too much.

(It should be noted that I've had a lifelong fear of dogs, and here I am not only babysitting a pit bull... but even fixing her the occasional peanut butter sandwich when she gives me her pitiful look.)

Pit bulls are often aggressive because they are abused and trained to be so. We rescued one a few years ago and he just needed love and patient training. He went with my eldest when she got her own place and he's a sweetheart.

JSTyler

When our girls were alive they got kibble twice a day. The one supplemented the kibble, if we weren't vigilant enough with, ummm...the other's recycled kibble. Nothing like a hound that recycles. We never sought smooches from that one.

alisani

As much as I've heard about aggressive pitbulls, I've never actually met one. They've all been sweethearts that I've actually seen
Where I am (rural south) rough types will often mistreat them and train them to be so, with an eye towards turning them into watch dogs. Our animal shelters here are full of pit bulls that have suffered so. Thankfully, we have some local foster groups and dog farms that rehab these poor animals so they can go to good homes.

Ghoti Ichthus

I used to be afraid of dogs. Getting a puppy as an adult and growing into her as she grew up made a huge difference.