What do you call your In Laws?

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
I have enjoyed the grandparents thread so much.
Here's a new question...
What do you call your mother and father in law?
My first marriage I called them Mr and Mrs First name. I still call her Mrs A.

Second marriage I also called them Mr and Mrs First name. My FIL died and I started calling my beloved MIL Mama J or Mother J. That's what my gkids call her. She loves it.

My daughter calls her inlaws by their first names only!! My SIL calls me Mimi and my husband by his first name.

My parents always called their inlaws Mr and Mrs First name.

I just don't know if I approve of calling in laws by first name without a title of respect. But I am just an old southern deplorable and it is just my way.

Mama Bug

I’ve always called my MIL Mama until my kids were born. Then I started referring to her as Mawmaw so my kids would call her that. My husband’s nephews grew up hearing everyone call her Mama and they picked up on it. No one ever corrected them. They alternated calling my SIL, my husband’s sister and their actual mother, Mama or they would call her by her first name. They mostly used her first name. I don’t have a FIL. I never met him and didn’t care to. He wasn’t a good person.

Given how MIL took over the nephews and SIL allowed it, I’m not surprised. She tried to take over with my daughter, not so much my son. But we didn’t allow it so she never could.

mphsmom

When he was alive my husband and I weren't engaged, so his dad was always Mr. last name to me. The moment I meant my future MIL, she told me to call her by her first name. That didn't change when we got married. I was so uncomfortable calling her by her first name, I rarely called her anything when we were together.

Andy C

I only spent a limited time with my FIL, who died in 2006. His wife, my wifes Mom, I spent tons of time with, daily visits for months at a time. Neither did I ever call by their first name, and strange as it sound, never called them by any name or nickname. With my MIL, that became challenging at times, but I was never comfortable to call them by their given name.

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
but I was never comfortable to call them by their given name.
My feeling. I have to add a title.

We all called our Aunts and Uncles by that title and first name. My daddy called his Aunts...'Aint' First name.

Me and my dearly beloved sister let our kids call us by our first names only...we were all so close.

My great nephews called my husband Uncle Dukey for years..from the Chanterclere movie.

Andy C

My feeling. I have to add a title.

We all called our Aunts and Uncles by that title and first name. My daddy called his Aunts...'Aint' First name.

Me and my dearly beloved sister let our kids call us by our first names only...we were all so close.

My great nephews called my husband Uncle Dukey for years..from the Chanterclere movie.
It simply was not comfortable for me.

Leigh

I have enjoyed the grandparents thread so much.
Here's a new question...
What do you call your mother and father in law?

You're just on a roll with all these good threads you've started! :biggrin2

My FIL passed away when DH was a little boy, and my MIL has been gone almost 24 years so I've been trying to remember what I called her. I don't think I ever regularly called her any name, but occasionally Mom since that's what her children called her, although that didn't feel right. She was the same age as my maternal grandmother (in fact, a year older), so I certainly wouldn't have ever called her by her first name, and to call her Mrs. __ would've been way too formal.

I just don't know if I approve of calling in laws by first name without a title of respect. But I am just an old southern deplorable and it is just my way.

I agree with you Joy, although my husband does call my mother by her first name, as does my brother-in-law, and it doesn't sound disrespectful.

My sons aren't married yet but their girlfriends call me "Miss Leigh" just like all the boys' friends have always called me (except Leigh's my middle name and IRL nobody calls me that, it's Miss first name).

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
I have called my MIL Wanda, although it's always weird. I usually just try to talk to her without using her first name. My FIL has never really been in the picture. I am definitely not comfortable calling them mom or dad.
I have an unusual and maybe unnatural
compulsion to call people by their names when talking. I don't know why. It's something that I am aware of but can't seem to control.

I look people straight in the eyeballs too. I can't help it. My friend says she rarely looks anybody in the eye when talking.

I can accept that I am just freakish that way.

Leigh

compulsion to call people by their names when talking. I don't know why. It's something that I am aware of but can't seem to control.

I look people straight in the eyeballs too. I can't help it. My friend says she rarely looks anybody in the eye when talking.

I think it's good to call people by their name and look them in the eyes when speaking to them. People like hearing their name... at least that's what I've heard!

My problem is remembering their name! If I meet a neighbor or a new friend at church, I try to write down their name and put it somewhere where I'll see it every day; it's amazing how even though I don't consciously look at the paper, over time I will learn. At choir practice we have name tags and that's a huge help.

I do try and look people in the eyes when talking, but can't say that it comes naturally.

Interesting topic... okay, that can be your next new thread! :lol

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
My SIL asked what he should call me....I told him Sweetie would be fine. He chose Mimi. You would have to know the feller...uber conservative. He couldn't picture himself in a public calling me Sweetie. He does call me haggard sometimes. He also blistered my tuchus with his sons pellet pistol as I stood at my kitchen sink!!!

cheeky200386

Not freakish at all!