What Did You Do Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy C

Woke up at 3:45, now getting ready for a long run.

We are in the very early planning stages of a possible move back to NC within a year or so. We dont really want to be in a high humidity area for the summers, but we also dont like being so far away from our kids and especially our 3 year old second granddaughter.

We have many options, and if we move back to NC, we could spend part of the summers visiting back in Oregon and avoid the humidity. Our last 6 years we lived in NC, we spent at least half of each summer in Oregon.

The best plan is no plan, the rapture taking us soon!

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Your snow blower will be one among many :smile

May God bless you with the house and property of your dreams . . . without a bidding war . . .

:pray :pray :amen :amen :dance2 :dance2

In the neighborhood where I made the offer, everyones probably got electric snowblowers...

I'm living in the house of my dreams now... but can't maintain it anymore, so am looking for something I can tolerate. No bidding wars for me, I'd never participate in one. If a market is too hot for me, I can live somewhere else... which may prove to be the case in Cheyenne, right now, anyway.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Woke up at 3:45, now getting ready for a long run.

We are in the very early planning stages of a possible move back to NC within a year or so. We dont really want to be in a high humidity area for the summers, but we also dont like being so far away from our kids and especially our 3 year old second granddaughter.

We have many options, and if we move back to NC, we could spend part of the summers visiting back in Oregon and avoid the humidity. Our last 6 years we lived in NC, we spent at least half of each summer in Oregon.

The best plan is no plan, the rapture taking us soon!

The mountains in western Carolina are a lot less humid than the plain, so long as you're in the mountains and not on the south or east adjacent to the plain.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven

I'm very fond of North Carolina and would love to live there but the tax bill (all taxation combined) would add about 10K a year to our overhead when compared with Wyoming or Georgia. I guess if I end up in Georgia I'll be pretty close to NC...

Andy C

I'm very fond of North Carolina and would love to live there but the tax bill (all taxation combined) would add about 10K a year to our overhead when compared with Wyoming or Georgia. I guess if I end up in Georgia I'll be pretty close to NC...
NC does not tax military retirement (Oregon partially taxes it) , and the property tax in NC is half what Im paying now. NC does have a sales tax which Oregon does not. So for our situation, taxes is not an issue.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Wishing you luck. My coworker put in 5 contracts before one was accepted. Crazy buyers kept outbidding them.

If things don't line up for me to get this house I think it's unlikely I'll be able to find a home in Cheyenne that's acceptable to me. For some reason it's a very hot market right now. I saw the home I made an offer on go on the market and within 24 hours it was pending closing. Unless the market cools I wouldn't be able to travel to Cheyenne in time to look at a house and then make an offer. I've heard of people making an offer on a home without even seeing it... but I don't see myself as being that guy. The realtor has a good idea of what I want now, but I don't think I could make an offer without seeing it in person. Hopefully I'll find time to investigate a couple of places in Georgia come late summer/fall.

Andy C

We considered a move to NC but the heat/humidity are even worse there than here in MD. :sad
The area we are looking at is about 1000 foot elevation, which would mean its not quite as humid as it was when we lived near the coast in NC for 20 years. Still, compared to where Im at now, the humidity…:yikes. I did tell my wife we could get a hot tub that also has a converter where you can get the water down to about 58 for cooling off.

RobinB

If things don't line up for me to get this house I think it's unlikely I'll be able to find a home in Cheyenne that's acceptable to me. For some reason it's a very hot market right now. I saw the home I made an offer on go on the market and within 24 hours it was pending closing. Unless the market cools I wouldn't be able to travel to Cheyenne in time to look at a house and then make an offer. I've heard of people making an offer on a home without even seeing it... but I don't see myself as being that guy. The realtor has a good idea of what I want now, but I don't think I could make an offer without seeing it in person. Hopefully I'll find time to investigate a couple of places in Georgia come late summer/fall.

I will say it's better to buy now if possible, all reports are saying interest rates are going up 4-5 times this year. They still won't be terrible, but they won't be super low like they are currently.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I will say it's better to buy now if possible, all reports are saying interest rates are going up 4-5 times this year. They still won't be terrible, but they won't be super low like they are currently.

Interest rate hikes may put a damper on the housing market... prices have jumped from not very long ago. If the housing market slows I might have a better chance of seeing a house I like and making an offer on it. I don't think a person should ever rush into buying a home... unless maybe they're a billionaire and what they're spending is chump change for them.

pixelpusher

I decided I wanted to stop balding.

So I just took myself straight to bald and skipped the in-between. I'm rocking a 1 guard buzz cut now, which is not technically bald I guess, but is close enough for me. Now I don't have to worry about how thin my hair was getting. And I saved 30 dollars by not going to get my hair cut professionally
I went this route years back. It was the comment from SIL that I had "that Ben Franklin thing going on" that pushed me over the edge. You can dry your hair and comb it all in one swipe which is great for kayaking.

pixelpusher

In the neighborhood where I made the offer, everyones probably got electric snowblowers...
on one of my early morning bike rides last summer, I rode through a neighborhood I never even knew was there. I noticed everyone was out early on Sat morning trimming their perfectly manicured lawns, every one with electric mowers and weed eaters. There was a certain hum in the air, but no noisy clacking and infernal combustion engines.

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
Some nice/peaceful-looking/sounding places look/sound very different at NIGHT
Especially the last evening/night and first couple evenings/nights of the month. And Fridays and Saturdays
Yes, indeed! Sixteen years ago, we purchased a farm that is two miles north of a little 505 pop. community. We even met a couple of neighbors to see what they thought of the area before we made a commitment to purchase. They loved it out here! Everything was peaceful and quiet right after we moved in. The following Sunday, however, we heard stock car races in the afternoon about a mile northeast from us. On Saturday nights, once a month there were big pickup trucks passing by our house on a gravel road on their way to a mud run at the corner intersection, bright lights, loud motors, and beer bottles littering our road the next day. Oh, my! What did we do? I felt certain that God had led us directly to this place, and we felt confident when we bought it. We began to pray and to ask the Lord to shut down those noisemakers. Not too many months after, the stock car races stopped, and within another year or maybe more, the mud run closed, as well. For the last 14 yrs it's been quiet and peaceful like we thought it was at the time of purchase. Turned out to be best real estate deal we ever made. The Lord indeed wanted us at this place, and we're thankful that He led us here.

3 Nails 4 Given

Sinner saved by the blood of Jesus
The area around Blairsville and Hiawase Georgia is nice up near North Carolina at Lake Chatuge.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
on one of my early morning bike rides last summer, I rode through a neighborhood I never even knew was there. I noticed everyone was out early on Sat morning trimming their perfectly manicured lawns, every one with electric mowers and weed eaters. There was a certain hum in the air, but no noisy clacking and infernal combustion engines.

I've always wanted a riding lawn mower... if I were to get this house I might upset the status quo... don't know if the noise would violate the Covenants or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.