What Did The Cross Mean To People Before Christ?

Changeditall

When the roll is called up yonder I'll be there.
I wasn't sure which forum to post this in. After reading Mark 8:34...“If anyone wants to come after Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow Me. And Similarly in Mark 10:21...take up the cross, and follow Me.”
(Although some Bibles delete that part in Mark 10:21)
I wondered what the cross would have meant to those who heard Jesus say that. This was before He was crucified so I don't believe they would think of the Redemption or Resurrection. I don't know. Anybody?

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
I wondered what the cross would have meant to those who heard Jesus say that. This was before He was crucified so I don't believe they would think of the Redemption or Resurrection. I don't know.
Crucifixion was a frequently used form of capital punishment for various crimes. There were different levels of crimes, thus even different forms of crucifixion to fit the crime. The form of crucifixion that Jesus was subjected to was the most severe form for the most serious crime. As we know, Jesus was totally innocent.
So, the populace would already be familiar with crucifixion which was carried out publicly, and very likely the criminal was required to carry his own cross (if he was physically able) to the place allocated for his death. Such a cruel way to die, but it was foretold in Old Testament that He would die this way.

Changeditall

When the roll is called up yonder I'll be there.
Yes. So maybe some recognized they deserved punishment and some thought they were innocent and some might have thought why is Jesus telling us to be crucified. I suppose they could have understood death of flesh. It's easy for us to understand this side of the cross. They should have understood the point of seeking to save their life losing it and losing it to save it. I think I'm getting a clearer idea of how this must have caused them to think. Then later the astonishment of Christ crucified brought it home to them. Dear God how valuable mankind is to You. It's more than I can grasp.

Back