What Can I Do Now?

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
What Can I Do Now?
By Nathele Graham

“But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” – Romans 5:8.

Jesus gave us a gift that is uniquely from Him. He gave us life in this world, and by faith in Him, eternal life.

“All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men.” – John 1:3-4.

The gift is free, but must be accepted. It cost Jesus more than our human minds can comprehend, but His love for His creation is so perfect and deep that He freely shed His blood for our salvation. Can you think of anybody you would voluntarily die for? Maybe your child or your spouse, but would you shed your blood to save the life of a total stranger? Probably not. Jesus did more than just shed His blood. He left the glory and splendor of Heaven and He left the worship of the Heavenly Host,

“And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.” – John 1:14.

He left the pure love of His Father, to step into His creation. He knew He would be ridiculed, mocked, beaten, spit upon, and crucified. Still, He chose to put up with all of that in order to save you and me from eternal damnation. Mankind had been separated from God ever since Adam sinned. Jesus willingly paid the price for our salvation. Because of His love, because of His sacrifice, you and I have the promise of eternal life with Him in Heaven if we sincerely place our faith in Him. If you’ve earnestly accepted Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection as the atonement for the sin of your life, then you need to say thank You. You need to let Him change your life from a self-centered life filled with sin, to a life of unselfishness, reflecting God’s love. You need to let Him know that you understand what He did for you, by living for Him.

It seems that many people know exactly what to do in order to serve Christ. Many sports figures openly give God the glory for their talent and ability to excel in their chosen sport. Some actors use their talents to glorify God. Starting with the Apostles, we can see how walking with Jesus changed the world. Peter often comes to mind when we think of someone who was changed from an outspoken man who was rash in his actions. It’s been said that Peter only opened his mouth to change feet. He was a fisherman, and had no training in eloquent speech. He more than likely was prone to using “colorful” language when he was around his fishing buddies. Jesus saw past all of the rough edges of his character, and saw a man who would be a leader in the Church. Not a Pope, but a Christian leader who followed what he learned from walking with Christ. Peter was married, but was able to do the tasks which Jesus put in front of him because he was married to a woman who was also a believer, as were other apostles.

“Have we not power to lead about a sister, a wife, as wells as other apostles, and as the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas?” – 1 Corinthians 9:5.

Paul is another example of a man who gave his life to Christ and served our Lord well. After Paul’s conversion on the road to Damascus, he spent many years waiting and wondering what he could do for Jesus Then, one day the time was right for his mission trips to spread the Gospel. During the time he waited, Paul learned more about Jesus. By the time he set out on his missionary trips, he knew exactly what Jesus wanted him to do. Matthew was a tax collector, a sinful profession, but Jesus called him and changed him. Matthew was one of the original disciples. John and James had an interesting nickname from Jesus.

“And James the son of Zebedee, and John the brother of James; and he surnamed them Boanerges, which is, The sons of thunder.” – Mark 3:17.

We can only imagine why Jesus called them the sons of thunder. Maybe because they wanted to call fire from Heaven on people who stood in their way. Walking with Jesus changed them. In more modern times, we all know of people who seem to know what to do to serve the Lord and know how to say “thank You” to Him. What about me? What can I do? What about you?

When I think of Jesus and what He did for me, I try to think how to repay Him. What can I do? I’m just a human with a sin nature. I can’t do great and mighty works for Jesus in order to say thanks. Most Christians have, at one time or another, asked themselves that question. What can I do to thank Him for salvation? How do I know what my gift(s) is/are? Most of us don’t have any great revelation from God telling us what He wants for us to do. We need to pray for God’s guidance. Then, start doing just doing something. First, get closer to Christ. How does that happen? Talk to Him and listen for His side of the conversation. Figure out what you enjoy doing. As long as what you enjoy is acceptable in the eyes of God, use it to glorify Him. When trying to hear God’s voice leading you in how to serve, be sure to make friends with solid Christians and fellowship with them.

“Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.” – Hebrew 10:25.

When we have Christian friends, it’s easier to see the things of the Lord rather than seeing the ways of the world. Secular friends see worldly gain and ways as the ultimate purpose in life. However, true Christians have their minds and hearts turned to serving Christ. We are to exhort each other, so if you see a strength in a friend, encourage them to use that strength to serve the Lord. Do you know someone who is able to discern God’s truth? Maybe they should share their knowledge with others. Maybe you are able to teach. By spending time with strong Christians, you will be encouraged to teach a class or two. You might have to step out of your comfort zone, but if it’s what God has planned for you, it will work out.

There are many things we can do for Jesus, but they don’t all seem as if they are important. Living as an example of Jesus’ love so the world can see is something every Christian can do.

“For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.” – Romans 1:16.

That is something you can do for Jesus no matter what. Don’t be ashamed of Him and live openly as a follower of Christ. When you put Jesus first in your life, you will thank Him by living for Him. Study Scripture to learn His ways. Jesus forgave people.

“Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.” – Matthew 18:21-22.

Forgiving others is a way to imitate Jesus. Our sin against God was fatal. Our choice to sin sends us to Hell. No matter what others do to us, it doesn’t compare to our sin against God.

“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” – 1 John 1:9.

Our sins are forgiven through Christ. Since He forgives us, we need to forgive others. We can do that in order to show our thankfulness to Jesus.

Jesus commands us to love one another. You can do that.

“This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.” – John 15:12-14.

It isn’t always easy to love others, but love is what Jesus commands us to do. When you ask “What Can I Do Now?”, try showing love to others. Jesus spoke those words to His disciples, not long before He was arrested. If you call Jesus your friend, then follow His commandment and love one another. Something else we all can do to show our gratitude is to live for Him, by sacrificing our selfish desires and serving Him with joy.

“I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.” – Romans 12:1.

Set selfish desires aside and die to self. Think of others, show God’s love and forgiveness. Jesus loves you; do you love Him?

It isn’t always easy to live life as Jesus wants us to live, but we need to try Sometimes a job can make living for Jesus hard. Earning your living is an important part of a Christian’s life, but the job may be filled with challenges to our faith. That’s one reason we need to choose Christian friends and support each other when the world seems to beat us up. The early Christians faced much persecution, but they drew closer to each other and Christianity flourished.

“And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,” – Acts 2:46.

That’s something you can do for Christ…fellowship with brothers and sisters who love our Lord, and encourage them in their walk.

When you ask “What Can I Do Now?”, look into Scripture and see what the great men and women who loved the Lord did. The Old Testament records many accounts of people who did what they could for God. The New Testament records the life of Jesus and His example to us. It also records what people just like you and I did to serve Him. None of the things we can do are works in order to obtain salvation, but works of love to show our gratitude. Time is drawing to an end, and only the things we do for Christ will last.

God bless you all,

Nathele Graham
[email protected]
[email protected]

All original scripture is “theopneustos” God breathed.

If you’d like to be on my mailing list to receive the commentaries just drop me an email and let me know.

https://www.raptureforums.com/ron-nathele-graham/what-can-i-do-now/

Back