What Book of the Bible Are You In Now and What Are You Getting Out of It?

Eric Nicholas

I just finished The Song of Solomon. I absolutely love that book, as its love is a glorious tale of comfort and satisfaction to me. Such a relatable humanity comes from the woman. I see the sun when I read it. What greater consolation is it to be the beneficiary of such a spirited love?

Onward to Isaiah.

RogerThat

I am currently reading through Romans on my own, and am at chapter 4. In today's culture/world of moral relativism, "the Bible says don't judge," and "everyone is a child of God," "I just don't think a good God sends people to Hell" and/or "you just have to be a good person," I needed a basic refresher of salvation and justification!

Then for more guided reading, I've been using one of these, depending on where the Spirit calls me:

Rachel Wojo: Perfect Peace, Planting My Eyes on Jesus
These little devotional books of hers are very inexpensive and easy to use.

Or

Candace Cameron Bure: Unwavering Faith (a warning the she sometimes uses the Message for the scripture reading. I just use my personal Bible anyway b/c I like to take notes in it or underline...)

Each book gives a Scripture and then thought-provoking questions. So they aren't "teaching" books, but I like guided devos for when my mind wanders and to focus on/revisit throughout the day.

Edited to remove links, just in case...but they are easily found if you'd like to take a look. I always welcome feedback.

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
This is a new church for me, so it reignited the flame and led me to google more info on the Flood and watch YouTube’s- hopefully it’s all correct!

I’ve been saved for awhile, but totally committed since 2016, I’ve taken many Bible studies, but for some reason I always skipped over Noah ‍

Answersingenesis.org has a lot of good information about the flood and how it has affected our world's climates and geography. They like to take a scientific approach--but not an evolutionary one.

JSTyler

I just finished The Song of Solomon. I absolutely love that book, as its love is a glorious tale of comfort and satisfaction to me. Such a relatable humanity comes from the woman. I see the sun when I read it. What greater consolation is it to be the beneficiary of such a spirited love?

Onward to Isaiah.
It's a fantastic section of scripture but doesn't necessarily adapt well to contemporary dialogue in young relationships. When I was dating my wife I thought it would be a fun idea to throw some SoS quotes at her...ya' know, for romance's sake (chaste romance to be clear).

My initial intentions were very serious and intended to score me some bonus points on the Romeo scale. In actuality it ended being something that fell apart faster than a battle plan upon first engagement, something that ended in laughter, lots of blushing and that to this day still gets us laughing. For example;

"Hon, as I gaze at you, I see your beauty...your neck is like a tower of uhhhh... yeah, something tower-ish, um tall and thin, not concrete or brick, it ain't leaning, but nice...and your hair reminds me of goats on the mountains, a whole flock of them springing down, not out of control like a stampede or anything but black, yeah, black goats, clean and everything not filthy dirty and smelling all goat-nasty like the ones the neighbor has...and your cheeks are like palmagranisomethings, but the good part not that nasty bitter crunchy outside but the sweet gobs of the red sticky seed pods from the inside that stain your fingers and are soooooooooo fristrating to get at...oh and there's something about shiny shields and the way you look but that comparison kinda-sorta escapes me right now but it was good, oh and I'll leave the whole fountain thing alone right now....ummmm, oops shouldn't have brought that up... Well anyway you're pretty, really pretty and I like looking at you...

...why are you looking at me that way?"

Okay, I did exaggerate a bit but in reality it wasn't too far from that.

Batman

I'm holding fast to Daniel and Revelation but wanting and trying to compliment them with Joel, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Psalms, Zechariah, Malachi, Matthew, Thessalonians, and many other books...............it's all incredible and so much I will never know is a very sober reality.

Waiting......

At this moment Jeremiah 17:9
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Which led to 1 Samuel 15.....God rejecting Saul and Saul losing his kingdom.
Which led to David, a man after Gods own heart (you know the rest of that long story!!)

I read that your response to God comes from your heart. God cannot work with a disobedient heart.

Its amazing how 1 little verse takes you all over the place!

castcrowns

Revelation, and I'm learning a great deal more than I thought I already knew.

If a reader takes the spiritualized/allegorical view, it will not make any sense.

If the reader takes the literal view, they would be wise to get saved now because what is coming to this planet will be worse than can be imagined.

I think that many of the science fiction movies of decades past got the ideas from the Revelation.

Another thing that I noticed is that it's best to read the corresponding OT prophecies to get more details.

Waiting......

It's a fantastic section of scripture but doesn't necessarily adapt well to contemporary dialogue in young relationships. When I was dating my wife I thought it would be a fun idea to throw some SoS quotes at her...ya' know, for romance's sake (chaste romance to be clear).

My initial intentions were very serious and intended to score me some bonus points on the Romeo scale. In actuality it ended being something that fell apart faster than a battle plan upon first engagement, something that ended in laughter, lots of blushing and that to this day still gets us laughing. For example;

"Hon, as I gaze at you, I see your beauty...your neck is like a tower of uhhhh... yeah, something tower-ish, um tall and thin, not concrete or brick, it ain't leaning, but nice...and your hair reminds me of goats on the mountains, a whole flock of them springing down, not out of control like a stampede or anything but black, yeah, black goats, clean and everything not filthy dirty and smelling all goat-nasty like the ones the neighbor has...and your cheeks are like palmagranisomethings, but the good part not that nasty bitter crunchy outside but the sweet gobs of the red sticky seed pods from the inside that stain your fingers and are soooooooooo fristrating to get at...oh and there's something about shiny shields and the way you look but that comparison kinda-sorta escapes me right now but it was good, oh and I'll leave the whole fountain thing alone right now....ummmm, oops shouldn't have brought that up... Well anyway you're pretty, really pretty and I like looking at you...

...why are you looking at me that way?"

Okay, I did exaggerate a bit but in reality it wasn't too far from that.
:ahaha
I can't stop laughing
And she is still with you?

JSTyler

If a reader takes the spiritualized/allegorical view, it will not make any sense.
100% :thumbup This was something that someone drummed into me early on in my walk thru the Bible. I would love to know or remember who it was, assuming they are still living, so I can thank them with eternal gratitude. Or I can do it in eternity, there will be time and they will be there.

On the flip side...

But why? ;)

Using allegory makes it so convenient to apply the rubber-ruler-rule to whatever makes you/me/us feel uncomfortable. You/I/we get to avoid bad words like responsibility, everlasting, hell, forever, sacrifice and commitment. It also allows you/me/us to lead into scripture with our best ideas when we read it and then get it to pop out sweet little pills of self-serving ideologies...it's like an unlimited cosmic pez dispenser of happiness.

:sarcasm

Below is condensed and edited to make it a little more palatable but I've had real conversations with a coworker, fellow church goers and friends that have gone something like this...

"What? Hell, naaaaaah Jesus didn't actually mean all that He said, He was just shucking and jiving...just read the red words and ignore the rest...we all get to heaven eventually and that whole commitment to Israel ya' know when God said everlasting covenant over and over He didn't mean everlasting as in forever, not really, He just didn't realize that His chosen people would rebel time after time...so it was everlasting as in until He changed His mind, oh and we don't have to evangelize the lost, 'cause they were appointed and divided a long time ago or something, sooooo no need to bother with anything like a commission or altar calls or bothering people with the gospel...it may be offensive and hurt their feelings anyway and don't all roads lead to God as long as you're a good person and have good intentions. Hey! Did you catch the latest episode of (insert hideous x-rated cable program here)_______?"

It's so sad. They're harder to reach than atheists and agnostics. They're seemingly inoculated against God's truth :sad

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
It's so sad. They're harder to reach than atheists and agnostics. They're seemingly inoculated against God's truth

Right, the only way they can have their eyes opened is if God works in them. All we can do is pray that God will soften their hearts and draw them to the true Christ of the bible. We can plant seeds and water when the opportunity arises. It's tough for me to see, especially when I know they are literally dangling by a thread of God's mercy over the fiery pit of eternal separation from God. :eek2 :eek :eek:

InsuranceGuy

That's great, @InsuranceGuy. I'm in Isaiah right now and he wasn't kidding around. I'm in the early chapters and I'm taken aback at the sureness of the judgement on rebels. It surely wasn't candy-coated and I'm thankful for that.
Somehow I manage to always be shocked at the brutality in the Bible. Nothing is sugar coated. It also makes me wonder just how bad the trib will be. Far worse than we can imagine.

Back