What are your plans/menus for the Fourth of July?

kathymendel

Since we live in a very dry area that is a big fire danger area, and is full of idiots who refuse to obey the rules of banned fireworks, as well as being very dangerous drivers, we are staying home on the fourth. There are no really good legal fireworks shows in the area anyway. If we're home, we can't be killed on the highway, and we can turn on the hose, or gather our important stuff and run should a fire start up! We will be dining on KFC chicken breasts, potato salad, some cut veggies - all served cold, as it will most likely be 110 degrees. We also have some KFC apple pie things and some vanilla ice cream to enjoy. Very simple but delicious.............

What are your plans????

Just heard about an explosion of a big truck loaded with over 5,000 pounds of illegal fireworks that happened yesterday in south Los Angeles. It was in the middle of a street in a combined residential/commercial area, and blew the windows out of everything around it, damaged parked cars, and sent quite a few people to the hospital. That is how stupid, and unconscienable (?) people are here in SoCal. No respect for laws, and not a thought to the harm they can cause to others................ it's so sad. Lord, please come take us home.

anath

I Love the Lord
We have a smoker so I'm thinking about smoking a Boston Butt. I guess it all depends if I have hickory chips already and if I can get a good roast for a good price. Just want a nice relaxing day and nothing to cause a lot of effort on our part.
We live on the river so we just step out on our porch to view the river barges annual fireworks show for the city. Last year we didn't have a show because of covid

RobinB

Since we live in a very dry area that is a big fire danger area, and is full of idiots who refuse to obey the rules of banned fireworks, as well as being very dangerous drivers, we are staying home on the fourth.

We always have to be home, at least by early evening, because there's a big field behind our house and the local idiots set off fireworks way too close to our houses. :rolleyes:

We may play golf early, since it's supposed to only be in the low 80s and not as humid. I'm thinking seafood -- crabs or shrimp.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Just heard about an explosion of a big truck loaded with over 5,000 pounds of illegal fireworks that happened yesterday in south Los Angeles. It was in the middle of a street in a combined residential/commercial area, and blew the windows out of everything around it, damaged parked cars, and sent quite a few people to the hospital. That is how stupid, and unconscienable (?) people are here in SoCal. No respect for laws, and not a thought to the harm they can cause to others................ it's so sad. Lord, please come take us home.

Authorities were storing or disposing of seized illegal and commercial grade fireworks in a specialized trailer,

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/ni...legal-fireworks-blast-los-angeles-2021-07-01/

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/multi...es-accidental-firework-explosion-115802693962

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/south-los-angeles-fireworks-explosion-lapd-injuries/

:pray :pray :amen :amen

CountingMyBlessings

After service Sunday, our church is putting on a fireworks display and everyone is supposed to bring homemade ice cream. The fireworks will be set off on the opposite side of the highway from the church in the parking lot of the volunteer fire department. :cool: But, we’re going to buy fireworks tomorrow and will celebrate thru Monday. It’s been raining here off and on for a week, so that reduces fire risk. I’ll sit in a lawn chair in the back yard and watch the kids take turns lighting them. Planning on doing burgers on the smoker and hot dogs and brats on the grill. Thinking about a frozen lemonade pie if I can find the recipe again.

JSTyler

Sunday, hmmm... guest speaker and praise and worship music "band" week... :scratch

Yeeeeeeeeah, we're off for a road trip to a HUUUUUUGE yard sale and flea market combo. We'll listen to Andy Woods and the Bill Gaither trio on the way up and back. There's a really-really great diner in the town we're headed to which will cover the lunch chow.

kathymendel

I've been craving a hot dog with mustard, pickle relish and a few onions on it.
Deb is not a hot dog eater. I can't justify buying eight hot dogs and eight buns at the store.
So, guess I'll either have to go to Costco and get one of theirs at the food court, or
go to a baseball game at our local stadium and have one there................of course, if I get it
at the stadium it will cost the same or more than the packaged at the store!!!
Can't win.........

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member
Deb is not a hot dog eater. I can't justify buying eight hot dogs and eight buns at the store.
So, guess I'll either have to go to Costco and get one of theirs at the food court, or
go to a baseball game at our local stadium and have one there................of course, if I get it
Can't win.........
:whisper (Both hot dogs and buns can be frozen until a future date.)

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Can't win.........

We don't use a whole package of hot dogs at a time, either. I reclose the plastic package, roll/close tightly, then put in zip loc freezer bag, roll tightly and seal, then throw in the freezer. All beef, so they keep up to about 3 months without freezer burn :smile The ones that contain pork, chicken, or turkey don't keep as long.

You can use a slice of bread instead of a hot dog bun. Or, wrap the leftover buns individually in Reynolds plastic wrap, put them in a Zip loc freezer bag, and freeze. They keep about 6 weeks in the freezer. Commercial hot dog buns (not bakery ones) will keep about the same length of time wrapped tightly in the original package in the refrigerator, so I usually don't bother freezing because more space in the fridge than freezer. We use hot dog buns for brats, Italian meatball sandwiches, etc. (far less bread than brat buns, but less yummy), so used up before they go bad.

I vote for the dog at the stadium, although I'd rather a brat (with lots of ONIONS) at a baseball or football game :biggrin Hot dogs are better than brats at hockey games here [sigh]

Last edited:

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Siblings coming over for dinner and we're going to have grass-fed hamburgers on the charc, toasted buns, lots of burnt ONIONS, salad, and choice of ice cream, strawberries, angel food cake, OJ, or some combination.

No masks :lol

I'd like a little extra fat added to those grass fed burgers, if you don't mind... a request from a sibling...