What are some 'types' or 'shadows' of Jesus in the O.T.?

RonJohnSilver

This is for my class on Numbers. Next week, I'm teaching Num. 21, the bronze snake, which many, including me, believe to be illustrative of Jesus' later work of redemption. I know there are many 'types' of Jesus in the O.T., Abraham/Isaac, Daniel, Jonah and more. I'd like to know what examples you can think of and how you see them as examples of Christian principles. Thanks, RJ

Kaatje

My soul waits for the Lord, and in His Word I hope
Joseph, son of Isaac.

Came from his beloved fathers house, where he lived in richess.
Went down to see his brothers, only to be thrown in a pit.
Many years later, he was lifted to the second highest place in the country.
Finally, he revealed himself to his brothers and forgave them theirs sins against him.

And, especially important to us, in this day and age:
Before he revealed himself, the gentiles left the scene.

Brother Albert R.

Jesus loved us and said we should Love our enemies
This is for my class on Numbers. Next week, I'm teaching Num. 21, the bronze snake, which many, including me, believe to be illustrative of Jesus' later work of redemption. I know there are many 'types' of Jesus in the O.T., Abraham/Isaac, Daniel, Jonah and more. I'd like to know what examples you can think of and how you see them as examples of Christian principles. Thanks, RJ

Branch...we are also His branches,
Root....we need to be rooted in Him,
Melchezidek...we are a holy priesthood,
Sheppard...we are to sheppard Gods' people,
Lamb...we are to lay down our lives for one another,

Last edited:

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Neat study!!

Joshua.

Moses was a type and shadow of Christ as well, and Joshua a type and foreshadow of the greater prophet to come afterwards. If I remember correctly Joshua is another form of the name Jesus. The name Joshua means 'Jehovah is salvation' or meanings like this one.

This is a very rich type of Christ and I believe this link would be helpful: https://www.gracegems.org/Nicholson/joshua_a_type_of_christ.htm

anath

I Love the Lord
High Priest (Aaron) - was one who was holy and set apart to make intercession to God by offering sacrifices. The high Priest was the only one who could enter the Holy Place to make a blood atonement sacrifice on the AoC

JESUS became our High Priest by offering Himself as the perfect sacrifice to make atonement for all our sins!

Last edited:

TheRedeemed

Joseph, son of Isaac.

Came from his beloved fathers house, where he lived in richess.
Went down to see his brothers, only to be thrown in a pit.
Many years later, he was lifted to the second highest place in the country.
Finally, he revealed himself to his brothers and forgave them theirs sins against him.

And, especially important to us, in this day and age:
Before he revealed himself, the gentiles left the scene.

Correct, and he also married a gentile bride, who subsequently was not seen in public for 7 years if memory serves me correctly.

So typology of Christ and the Church in one story.

anath

I Love the Lord
Cornerstone - the foundation and standard upon which a building was constructed. Once in place, the rest of the building would conform to the angles and size of the cornerstone. If removed, the entire structure could collapse.
Jesus became the Chief Cornerstone!
"Behold, I am the one who has laid as a foundation in Zion, a stone, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone, of a sure foundation." Psalm 118:22

Andy C

Matthew 12:40 compares Jesus with Jonah: “For just as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.”

John 3:14 compares Jesus with the Bronze Serpent: “As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up.”

John 6:32-33 compares Jesus with the manna: “Moses did not give you the bread from heaven, but My Father gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is He who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”

Romans 5:14 compares Jesus with Adam: “Adam is a type of Him who was to come.”

First Corinthians 5:7 compares Jesus with the Passover Lamb: “For indeed Christ, our Passover, was sacrificed for us.”

First Corinthians 10:4 compares Jesus with the rock that accompanied Israel in the wilderness: “[Israel] drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ.”

Hebrews 10:20 compares Jesus’ body with the veil in the temple that when “torn” on the cross revealed the access believers have to the Father: “[We have] a new and living way [to God] which [Jesus] consecrated for us, through the veil, [which] is, His flesh.”

Hebrews 11:17-19 Compares Issac with Jesus: When Abraham sacrificed his son, it was a picture of God sacrificing His Son: “Abraham…offered up Isaac…He considered that God was able even to raise him from the dead”.

Last edited:

TheRedeemed

I'd like to learn more about the 7 years.
TheRedeemed, where can I find that?

Genesis 41: 34-44 speaks of the 7 years of plenty and the 7 years of famine. The 7 years of famine (the time Joseph had not seen his brothers) could be compared to the 7 year Tribulation.

Genesis 41:45 tells us that Joseph took his gentile bride, representing the world? Because his brethren (the Jews) rejected him.

7 years later and after the 7 years of famine, Joseph revealed himself to them and introduced his wife to them for the first time.

All of this is a typology of our Lord, His bride (us), the tribulation, the rapture and the 2nd coming of the bridegroom with His bride.

A fascinating insightful story of Joseph, his father and his brothers all foreshadowing the events we’re patiently waiting for.

athenasius

The Ark of Noah. I’ve heard this in the past & I’m hoping I got it all but there’s likely bits I missed.

When we enter into saving faith in Christ we ensure our spiritual survival (Ken Ham has a teaching on that)

The Ark has 1 door. In its SIDE. Jesus is the only way to salvation & was pierced in His side.

A window above ? I can’t remember but we are able to access the throne of God in prayer because of the blood of Christ.

It has many rooms inside like Jesus prepares for us for the Tribulation.

3 stories like the Trinity.

It’s a refuge from Gods judgement made of wood. Like the cross. Made of wood.

The wood of the cross is covered with blood.

The wood of the ark is covered with pitch.

The word for Pitch is unusual. Normally the word used is Zepheth Strongs #2203 Which ALWAYS means pitch. NOT HERE

Instead it’s kaphar strongs #3721 & 3722 which are the 2 forms of this word for Cover and it’s usually means Atonement but in this ONE place it’s used as a term for pitch.

So it’s made of wood and covered with the Atonement.

It lifts its occupants above the waters of the judgement of God that destroys the earth.

It’s occupants are hidden inside just like Col 3:3 says.

I know there’s more... anyone else remember this?

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.
The Ark of Noah. I’ve heard this in the past & I’m hoping I got it all but there’s likely bits I missed.

When we enter into saving faith in Christ we ensure our spiritual survival (Ken Ham has a teaching on that)

The Ark has 1 door. In its SIDE. Jesus is the only way to salvation & was pierced in His side.

A window above ? I can’t remember but we are able to access the throne of God in prayer because of the blood of Christ.

The word for Pitch is unusual. Normally the word used is Zepheth Strongs #2203 Which ALWAYS means pitch. NOT HERE

Instead it’s kaphar strongs #3721 & 3722 which are the 2 forms of this word for Cover and it’s usually means Atonement but in this ONE place it’s used as a term for pitch.

It lifts its occupants above the waters of the judgement of God that destroys the earth.

Yes I remember this from awhile back.
Especially the "Pitch".
:thumbup

RonJohnSilver

The ark story also symbolizes the latter days. The flood is the tribulation, the ark saves the tribulation saints; (Moses/family) through the tribulation for a new start on a cleansed earth. And the church? Enoch, who was taken prior to the flood. So, pre-trib rapture.

mattfivefour

Yes. And God bade Noah to enter the ark after gathering all that God intended, and then when everything that was to be in the ark was in, God (not Noah, but God) shut the door. God bids everyone to enter Christ. He instructs those who obey to call everyone they can. Once all whom God has determined to be in Christ are in, God will shut the door of grace. Then the worldwide flood of judgment will come, but we will be safe, sealed and carried above it, until the judgment is over and we once again return to the earth.

Brother Albert R.

Genesis 41: 34-44 speaks of the 7 years of plenty and the 7 years of famine. The 7 years of famine (the time Joseph had not seen his brothers) could be compared to the 7 year Tribulation.

Genesis 41:45 tells us that Joseph took his gentile bride, representing the world? Because his brethren (the Jews) rejected him.

7 years later and after the 7 years of famine, Joseph revealed himself to them and introduced his wife to them for the first time.

All of this is a typology of our Lord, His bride (us), the tribulation, the rapture and the 2nd coming of the bridegroom with His bride.

A fascinating insightful story of Joseph, his father and his brothers all foreshadowing the events we’re patiently waiting for.
I am glad that you answered the Duchess' question, (just Kidding Kaatje :whistle) . But what you wrote seems very plausible as a type of precursor to Christ the reality. Do you know of a book that includes what you have written. I would like to look into this more.
Thank you and God bless,
Alebrt

Brother Albert R.

More often than not, I wear a hat, and mostly big ones at that.
Appearently they make me resemble a bit our former queen, Beatrix.

So a Dutchess, is a bit of a downgrade, Brother Albert! ;)
I hope you were not offended at my play on words...Dutch and Duchess. I apologize.
Two of my favorite authors are Dutch, Corrie ten Boom and Brother Andrew.
God bless you Kaatje,
Brother ALbert

Back