What are angels made of?

Rocky Rivera

Now, this is a question of which we'll discover the answer much later in a better place, and with vastly improved minds. But it's fun to speculate, right? We know that all creatures are finite, and that would include angels as well as humans and animals. The LORD made us from the dust of the ground, raw material tying us to this planet. But, what raw material (if any) did He use to make the angels? Are they made from fire?

Also, we know all terrestrial creatures eat for energy and life, since energy is limited, and it was intended that we take nourishment from other organic matter, be it animal, vegetable, or mineral. Angel beings most likely either have an internal source of energy, but it is not infinite. Why? No creature has been given a capacity for infinity -- that is the realm of the Creator only. What sort of transfinite energy source do angels possess? How do they take it in and process it? How long can an angel being go on a single charge?

Another thing to consider is that they are not like us. Their true form is "spirit without body", and I am hypothesizing that in order to interact with us, they need to take on a three-dimensional physical body -- just like Satan when he tempted Eve, or when they comforted the disciples -- appearing as men -- when Jesus physically left them to ascend to Heaven. They're fascinating simply because there are so many unknowns about them. At least when we come across the remains of an extinct species, we have fossils and modern comparisons from which we can draw theories and hypotheses. But we know next to nothing about angels -- only what we are told in Scripture, and our encounters with them are so limited -- or violent -- that we cannot formulate anything worthy of further scientific consideration.

greg64

I suspect they truly do have bodies, but more functional ones than we currently have as they are not bound to the Earth as we are but can go back and forth between our world and that which we can't see in the course of their duties. We may describe that as spirit, but I tend to think of it in terms of greater range and capability. Interesting line of thought.

Andy C

I seldom go to “Got Questions”, but they do list bible verses on this topic

“Angels are spirit beings (Hebrews 1:14), so they do not have any essential physical form. But angels do have the ability to appear in human form. When angels appeared to humans in the Bible, they resembled normal males. In Genesis 18:1-19, God and two angels appeared as men and actually ate a meal with Abraham. Angels appear as men many times throughout the Bible (Joshua 5:13-14; Mark 16:5), and they never appear in the likeness of women.

Other times, angels appeared not as humans, but as something other-worldly, and their appearance was terrifying to those who encountered them. Often, the first words from these angels were “do not be afraid,” because extreme fear was such a common reaction. The keepers of Jesus’ tomb became as dead men when they saw the angel of the Lord (Matthew 28:4). The shepherds in the fields in Luke 2 were “sore afraid” when the angel of the Lord appeared and the glory of the Lord shone around them.

As for physical characteristics, angels are sometimes described as winged. The images of cherubim on the ark of the covenant had wings that covered the mercy seat (Exodus 25:20). Isaiah saw winged seraphim in his vision of the throne of heaven, each one having six wings (Isaiah 6:2). Ezekiel, too, saw visions of winged angels. Isaiah 6:1-2 depicts angels having human features—voices, faces and feet. Angel voices are heard singing and praising God in several other passages. The angel at Jesus’ tomb is described as having a brilliant appearance: “His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow” (Matthew 28:3).

Whatever appearance angels take on, there is reason to believe they are incredibly beautiful. Ezekiel tells us that Lucifer was “lifted up” in pride over his beauty. In addition, beings such as angels, who are continually in the presence of God, would be expected to have extraordinary beauty because God’s glory is reflected upon all that is around Him”.

https://www.gotquestions.org/angels-look.html

arik88

Angels do have an appearance but since we are sinful of nature we do not understand them, Some say they are beings of light others they are of fire ( The Lord say's he is made of unconsumable fire) and angels can't be close of his burning fire of what God is made of in the vision of Ezekiel only Seraphims, Cherubins, and Thrones can withstand his glory and love. Angels are too big and powerful for us to withstand them that is why whenAbraham recieved the lord and 2 angels accompannied him they were in human form. Great power they ahve and they will not reavel it to us for we are sinful and destructive in nature.

Hiftobaf

I suspect they truly do have bodies, but more functional ones than we currently have as they are not bound to the Earth as we are but can go back and forth between our world and that which we can't see in the course of their duties. We may describe that as spirit, but I tend to think of it in terms of greater range and capability. Interesting line of thought.

What of fallen angels? Genesis 6 implies they can take on physical form, but then in the New Testament you see Legion, who complains that he doesn't want to be disembodied.

greg64

What of fallen angels? Genesis 6 implies they can take on physical form, but then in the New Testament you see Legion, who complains that he doesn't want to be disembodied.
What of the fallen angels currently imprisoned in the abyss per Revelation? Why are some confined and some apparently allowed to act?

There's a lot we don't know about the current restrictions God has placed on them and their activities. There are also other lines of thought dealing with Genesis 6, but those always seem to bring up arguments when discussed. Dr Woods goes into detail on that in several studies, and I tend to agree with his conclusions. I think there's a lot more going on behind the face of what we call reality than we can readily comprehend.