What About Marriage?

Hol

Worships Him
Good link Carl, thanks for posting some encouragement for children in homes with a healthy marriages. The other day I caught a radio program while I was driving that had good findings to report for successful lives that married men have compared to their counterparts who are single.

MarleneF

I have been in a number of health groups on-line. One day I realized that the women that were always living in poverty, getting bumped from house to house, living hand to mouth, even though married, all were in second or third marriages. I also found the women that were doing well financially were in long term marriages.

Then my son-in-law went to a Health and Wellness Worshop put on for resident doctors for a weekend. In every single seminar and conference he attended, they somehow mentioned that if they wanted to stay rich, don't divorce your spouse! Very much for the richer people, but still the acknowledgement that divorce seriously affects the financial well-being of people.

Over the past few years, I have continued to notice this pattern. Now, that is not to say that every couple who has been married a long time is going to be rich. But definitely more comfortable than a couple that is paying alimony and/or child support to the family that got left behind.

When I first heard the stats about Christian marriages being at the 50% divorce rate, I wondered where that could be. Because it was not in my church or community. Then I heard about the fact that this 50% divorce rate for Christians is pure fiction. I think that pastors and counselors need to go back to Biblical basics and remind people that God hates divorce, and other than adultery (or protection from on-going physical abuse) there really is no justification for divorce.

Lynn

Longing for Home
Marlene, regarding your comment that Christian marriages ending in divorce at the rate of 50% is fiction, I think you're right. This is a number that was arrived at after
surveying 'churches'. There may indeed be a 50% divorce rate among 'churched' people. All of us here know that 'churched' doesn't necessarily translate 'Christian.'
There are churches out there that don't even teach the true gospel, but they would have also been surveyed regarding their rate of divorce.
So, whenever I hear this particular statistic, I just ignore it, because I doubt that it's accurate among 'Christians.'

Andrew

Well known member
I don't think that being better off financially is a good enough reason on its own to say that someone should remain in a marriage. In the end, there are circumstances where divorce is not only permissible but is to be preferred. Better to be alive, happy and poor than to be rich but abused or stuck with a serial cheater.

God does provide for our needs but that doesn't always mean we get our wants too. Let's not make this about finances.

MarleneF

I don't think that being better off financially is a good enough reason on its own to say that someone should remain in a marriage. In the end, there are circumstances where divorce is not only permissible but is to be preferred. Better to be alive, happy and poor than to be rich but abused or stuck with a serial cheater.

God does provide for our needs but that doesn't always mean we get our wants too. Let's not make this about finances.
I do agree with you about adultery and abuse, which I noted in my last post. But too often I have met people who did not divorce for those reasons, but just because they "outgrew"their partner, or decided there was someone better out there.

I do think the results of staying married for life are a more financially secure life. Which also means, as Christians, more money to give to spread the gospel, or give to the "least of these." I just know that my husband and I have never worried about money and trusted God. My husband has the gift of giving and when we were starting out, it used to really scare me how much money we were giving away.

Well, God taught me a real lesson. Actually a couple of lessons. One was to follow my husband and let him express his God given gifts, and the other was that you cannot out-give God. I think a strong marriage in the Lord results in tremendous blessings. However, no one should ever stay in a relationship where there is danger or unfaithfulness, unless they are really sure God wants them to stay. In the case of abuse, a person in a marriage should always put safety first, and be sure they are not going to be hurt by getting out!

Carl

Personally I think there is more in this thread than has been covered yet, and not because I posted it.

I have a neighbor that was not Christian but he lived like a Christian as far as his family was concerned. That family never had real financial problems even though he was laid off for two years. God will honor those that live by His standards even when no His children. Let us not forget that all nature is a witness for God the Father, and Creator.

I had the same thought as others when I read Marlene's post about divorces in the church. The 50% divorce rate is high. I just found this site that indicates not true
http://www.thenewamerican.com/cultu...-50-percent-divorce-statistics-for-christians

Andy C

I have a neighbor that was not Christian but he lived like a Christian as far as his family was concerned. That family never had real financial problems even though he was laid off for two years. God will honor those that live by His standards even when no His children. Let us not forget that all nature is a witness for God the Father, and Creator.
I dont mean to change the subject of this thread, but is there scripture that backs up the bold and underlined above?

Carl

I dont mean to change the subject of this thread, but is there scripture that backs up the bold and underlined above?
My pastor and I used to talk and one of us mentioned this. Don't remember who, but neither of us gave it any more thought.

Thanks for asking. I have spent the last couple of days searching and have not found any scripture that would back this thought up.

Andy C

My pastor and I used to talk and one of us mentioned this. Don't remember who, but neither of us gave it any more thought.

Thanks for asking. I have spent the last couple of days searching and have not found any scripture that would back this thought up.
IMO, there is no scripture that would support that statement. I think it would be just the opposite. Without the Blood of Jesus, we are nothing, filthy rags in the eyes of God. But, since we are believers, we are seen in the Light of Him. Unbelievers........not so much.

You use the word "circumstances" plural, I believe that there is one "circumstance" and we find it in God's word.Have a nice day.

Channah

Yes, the scriptures are in the Proverbs and meant on how to live life for all. It is an instruction. I believe though that Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life. The proverbs where the instructions are given such as finances, adultery, etc. are in there. Many people do live good moral lives but are not saved. I know many of them, especially my buddhist families but does not mean my heart does not hurt for their lack of salvation but they live by the many tenets of the Proverbs.

Reactions: Hol

Channah

Personally I think there is more in this thread than has been covered yet, and not because I posted it.

I had the same thought as others when I read Marlene's post about divorces in the church. The 50% divorce rate is high. I just found this site that indicates not true
http://www.thenewamerican.com/cultu...-50-percent-divorce-statistics-for-christians
Yes you are correct.

Yes, the scriptures are in the Proverbs and meant on how to live life for all. It is an instruction. I believe though that Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life. The proverbs where the instructions are given such as finances, adultery, etc. are in there. Many people do live good moral lives but are not saved. I know many of them, especially my buddhist families but does not mean my heart does not hurt for their lack of salvation but they live by the many tenets of the Proverbs. For example, they give generously, are very kind to one another, do not gossip, visit the elderly, stay married, don't curse, always cheerful but they lack that one thing, believing on the Lord Jesus Christ. It rains on the just and the unjust so God will bless and he can unless. Our God is too big to put Him in a box. He can pour out His blessings on whom He chooses in this lifetime but it is the after life where one chooses in this lifetime where he/she will end up.

Hol

Worships Him
Good insights Channah, I thought of the Book of Proverbs too. Another example is when God blesses unbelieving rulers who are good to His children, such as Joseph and Daniel. Entire nations were blessed because of them, Queen Esther's faith blessed Persia too.

Andy I'm glad you bumped this thread!

I was divorced before I came to Christ, and in my own life there are examples of problems that I would not have had I either stayed married or never married.

I'd like to mention that in the context of this thread, I'm not sure that anyone is claiming that staying in a marriage is of itself a high virtue, or a righteous act. It simply makes good sense in the long run, and there are many evidences to support that, including that couple's financial stability.

Jan51

The Bible teaches that you reap what you sow, both for believers and unbelievers. If unbelievers do right, their lives will reflect their choices, but I would stop short of calling it God honoring or blessing it.

Channah

The Bible teaches that you reap what you sow, both for believers and unbelievers. If unbelievers do right, their lives will reflect their choices, but I would stop short of calling it God honoring or blessing it.
I agree with honoring but I believe God blesses too, not just believers but unbelievers too. For example, my father in law is not a believer but God has pulled him through cancer, quadruple bypass and a peaceful and quiet life.

Andy C

I agree with honoring but I believe God blesses too, not just believers but unbelievers too. For example, my father in law is not a believer but God has pulled him through cancer, quadruple bypass and a peaceful and quiet life.
Im glad your father in law has made it through such serious health problems, but why do you assume it was our Father who pulled him through these situations?