Westminster Confession of Faith

Ruth

The Westminster Confession of Faith is the gounding doctrine that is held up to be truth by many mainline denominations. The Lutheran and Presbytarian I know hold to it.

I did not realize that my church (Presbytarian EPC) was fully reliant on this doctrine in all its teachings. When I did compare it to the scriptures and what I had learned in my studies with the Lord, I found it to be in error on a few things.

If your church uses the Westminster Confession of Faith as its basis for doctrines taught in your church, you may want to do further study to see what it is really teaching and how it may be effecting what you are hearing from the pulpit and in Sunday School.

There is one aspect of this document that I have particular disagreement with and that is the way they apply the doctrine of election - which in their way of looking at it - completely negates man's free will. I found this writing online refuting this stance in the WCF and the writing is very well done.

http://www.ericknelson.net/Apol/WestCOF.htm

If your church has one of the following aspects to it - you may not realize that they are holding to WCF and the Calvin doctrines:

You rarely, if ever, hear the gospel message preached to the lost.
You rarely, if ever, see an alter call.

You won't see these things because they believe that God elects people and to think of mankind having a choice in the matter is an insult to a soverign God.

Often, these same denominations will also not have any studies on prophecy as pertaining to the future because they think it is all completed. Or, they will say Jesus is coming again but only after we get the earth ready for Him by reclaiming it through having dominion over it (Dominion theology) and these people are very much in agreement with the green movement to save planet earth.

You also may not hear them praying for Israel because they believe in replacement theology (the church replaced the promises to Israel and God is done with them)

These may not seem like major issues but it creeps into many aspects of what is being taught and where funds are being applied.

BuzzardHut

Bird Mod
Yes, the starchy Ivy league liberal denominations, too intelligent for God's word, and too staunch for the Holy Spirit, have nothing left but creeds and confessions.
Ichabod!

Ruth

Yes, the starchy Ivy league liberal denominations, too intelligent for God's word, and too staunch for the Holy Spirit, have nothing left but creeds and confessions.
Ichabod!

LOL I love it! Between the false impressions given by the Catholics of what they portray christianity to be and the horrendous ill conceived doctrines of men that many of the mainline denominations teach it is hard to reach people to teach them the true gospel.

Back