Week 1: Seats Still Empty for Several Teams as NFL’s 100th Season Kicks Off

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
This week starts the NFL’s 100th season, but some teams seem to still be finding a awful lot of empty seats.

As the Cleveland Browns took on — and lost 43-13 to — the Tennessee Titans at First Energy Stadium, for instance, fans took to social media to express their shock at the number of empty seats:

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2019/09/08/weak-1-seats-still-empty-for-several-teams-as-nfls-100th-season-kicks-off/

The article shows several pics of very empty stadiums. I'm pleased that NFL fans haven't forgotten that some players dissed the USA over and over and the NFL did little to end that.

Andy C

Seats dont seem to be as empty as last year. I watched some football yesterday, but it does not feel the same watching as it did just a few years ago.

I did not watch the NFL at all in 2017, and only a few games last season. This year, Im not going to let a few disgruntled players ruin the rest of the game for me.

Bottom line, its a game, not an idol, not politics, just a game.

SonSeeker

Haven't watched a game ever since Colin what's his name took a knee. And haven't really missed it at all.
Too bad for the entire league for not having a backbone to stand up to one player for disrespecting the American flag, and by extension, for disrespecting the country that made him a multi-millionaire! They have been paying for their extremely poor leadership ever since.
The moment he took a knee, the game changed from being 'just a game', to become a political arena.
MLB, NBA, NHL, don't seem to have a problem filling seats. Hmm, I wonder why. :idunno

usoutpost31

There are other factors too. What reason do Dolphin fans have to show up this year? Their team punted on the season. The fans who stayed home in Cleveland were the smart ones. Their team played a terrible game. I wasn't there in Carolina, but I heard the heat and humidity was downright oppressive.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Haven't watched a game ever since Colin what's his name took a knee. And haven't really missed it at all.
I'll probably never watch an NFL game going forward. Enjoyed watching the L.A. Rams with my dad when I was a kid, but a lot has changed since those days... the disrespect to the USA is one thing, but there's other issues that have changed professional sports in a negative way, I believe. One big thing, is the cost of a ticket, and everything that leads to those crazy prices.

SonSeeker

I'll probably never watch an NFL game going forward. Enjoyed watching the L.A. Rams with my dad when I was a kid, but a lot has changed since those days... the disrespect to the USA is one thing, but there's other issues that have changed professional sports in a negative way, I believe. One big thing, is the cost of a ticket, and everything that leads to those crazy prices.
You're right, TT.:sad I remember those days when the Rams had the Fearsome Foursome. The good old days, when the entire family could afford to attend a game together. Now, ticket prices are thru the roof, the concessions are ridiculously expensive, the players are millionaires. Everyone wants a piece of the pie. Greed is everywhere.
Another sport suffering, probably as a result of greed, is NASCAR. Only a few short years ago, nearly every race was a sellout. Today, most races are barely half full.
Of course, none of us knows where this will end. But, we know where we will end up!

Andy C

If you want to see a real man's sport with pure violence and strong hits you should watch Rugby league, big hits with no shoulder pads or protective gear :p
False narrative. Yes, no pads in rugby, but the hits are FAR less violent than the NFL, and NFL players weigh on average 50-60 more pounds than rugby Players. Rugby players tackle smarter due to no protection. Football pads encourage violent hits, and injuries are much higher in the NFL than rugby. A high percentage of injuries in rugby come from spinal injuries during the constant scrums. The percentage of concussions is not even close, with the NFL, even with helmets, coming out with a higher total of concussions. Thankfully, changes are being made for concussion protocol in both sports, but long term damage is still a great risk.

I would never let kids play football, not would I want them to play rugby.

Andy C

I steered my kids clear of football. My boys both played soccer, which does have potential for concussions... fortunately neither of them suffered serious injuries.
Good post.

I use to think soccer was the “wussification” of kids sports. I have since evolved mentally, and now realize what a perfect sport it is for kids, and adults. I do believe for the younger player leagues, head butting the ball is no longer allowed.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Good post.

I use to think soccer was the “wussification” of kids sports. I have since evolved mentally, and now realize what a perfect sport it is for kids, and adults. I do believe for the younger player leagues, head butting the ball is no longer allowed.
Yeah, they don't let them "head" the ball until they reach a certain age now. That's a very recent change. I have mixed feelings about that, though. I think it would be safer for kids to be taught proper heading techniques at a young age. As they get older many get attitudes and stop listening to their coaches well enough to learn well.

I'd prefer if they mandated the soccer head coverings for protection, and then let them head the ball. I don't know what those head coverings are called, but they seem to be effective... and I guess most kids probably wouldn't want to wear them...

I coached youth soccer for probably over a decade. I still coach special needs soccer now, but that's it. Soccer wasn't an option when I was growing up in SoCal.

Andy C

Yeah, they don't let them "head" the ball until they reach a certain age now. That's a very recent change. I have mixed feelings about that, though. I think it would be safer for kids to be taught proper heading techniques at a young age. As they get older many get attitudes and stop listening to their coaches well enough to learn well.

I'd prefer if they mandated the soccer head coverings for protection, and then let them head the ball. I don't know what those head coverings are called, but they seem to be effective... and I guess most kids probably wouldn't want to wear them...

I coached youth soccer for probably over a decade. I still coach special needs soccer now, but that's it. Soccer wasn't an option when I was growing up in SoCal.
Thanks for your commitment to youth sports. I never coached, but Im sure glad folks like you do!

Spartan Sprinter 1

False narrative. Yes, no pads in rugby, but the hits are FAR less violent than the NFL, and NFL players weigh on average 50-60 more pounds than rugby Players. Rugby players tackle smarter due to no protection. Football pads encourage violent hits, and injuries are much higher in the NFL than rugby. A high percentage of injuries in rugby come from spinal injuries during the constant scrums. The percentage of concussions is not even close, with the NFL, even with helmets, coming out with a higher total of concussions. Thankfully, changes are being made for concussion protocol in both sports, but long term damage is still a great risk.

I would never let kids play football, not would I want them to play rugby.
Rugby league is slighlty different to rugby union but yes i do agree that the hits that the nfl has is a bit note crazier than league only because rugby league doesn't allow shoulder charges anymore