Wearing Red/Yellow?

Suzanne

I applaud you for this growth! You're not doing anything that we didn't do, once our desire to serve Christ and honor Him got to "that" point! I wear ankle length skirts all the time. Even using a chainsaw, lol.

I usually wear tiered skirts because they're feminine, but I won't wear anything that's tight enough to require a split. When it's cold, I wear leggings and (depending) petticoats under my skirts.

I also wear long maxi's with a shrug (like a half cardigan, not one of those hoochie ones) and sandals (I never wear sandals to church).

No cleavage showing. We're not to put ourselves on display because that's of the world and we're to be separate.

The Spirit will guide you and you'll know, as you choose something, whether it will please the Lord or not. Always remember this (and believe it or not, this was something our pastor told our husbands in a Sunday morning service): God knows how cute these new styles are. He knows that women love shoes more than women love air. He knows that we'd love to buy these great, form fitting fashions with those most excellent new suede boots (you know, the ones that lace down the front and make you seven inches taller?). He knows. He also knows that when we choose to deny the flesh to honor Him that we do it out of love and respect for Him. You've made a sacrifice to the Lord. He honors that!
I have always preferred maxi-length skirts. I've owned a couple of beautiful ones in the past. I currently wear loose granny slacks and shirts.

My grandmother had long hair until she died at 80. I'm 60, and my hair goes way down my back. That's the only vanity that I have, and I will eventually lose it to radiation and chemotherapy.

I'll be okay with that when it happens, because God will love me no matter what I look like.

Suzanne

I am chiming in very late on this thread. I was thinking a bit about the war on God given gender attributes, and one of the things that gays imitate about women and lesbians lose is the business of looking attractively feminine.

There is a world of difference between being attractive, meaning making the best of things within the constraints of your personal life (budget, time etc) without taking away from priorities (taking time for reading God's Word, prayer, doing the work God has in front of you each day)

and

being what the world calls "sexy" meaning allure for the sake of drawing men's attention. That would include dressing to cause envy in other women (I can afford Chanel, you can't sort of attitude or I'm up to the minute in fashion, sucks to be you attitude.) That is another negative drawing attention.

But there is another extreme and that is drawing negative attention by being obviously non feminine. (the obvious attention grabbing weird hair and clothing and lack of makeup that borders on the scary--the look that goes into no makeup ever, and almost seeks out the least feminine or attractive clothes)

I see the balance as not scaring the multitudes off of Christianity, and being a glory to my husband, not embarrassing him or becoming (heaven forfend) alluring to other men. Modest but not weird.

That as several of you point out is very much a cultural thing, and local norms may vary. I like the YMMV acronym for "your mileage may vary".

Due to my auto immune issues, my eyebrows are almost gone, and I look sick without a little help so I view makeup and good colour choice in clothing as essential to my husband's mental health, not to mention mine, all while reminding the enemy that while I may be losing a health battle here and there, I'm still here fighting. It's almost like me sending a message that I'm not losing the war at all, not no how, I'm still kicking, serving God and if the enemy stole my eyebrows I'm not taking it lying down!

So I put my makeup on every morning, replacing those eyebrows, evening out the skin with a little powder on top of Olay sunscreen (no need to deteriorate any faster than I have to). I stick a nice neutral blush on to replace the colour I've lost, beige eyeshadow to hide the dark marks and redness, mascara to enhance the lashes I have left, and lipstick to give back normal looking colour. When I'm done, I look nice but it's not the kind of makeup that sells well in ads because unless you knew what I look like without it, you wouldn't think I have any on at all. At night I carefully remove it and put good retinol cream on from Neutrogena (cheap & effective). I get the makeup from Clinique and Estee Lauder to send another message that I'm supporting Jewish business, especially the Lauder group so in your face BDS movement.

I wasn't graying attractively, so I dye the hair a shade that still looks normal with my skin and age. I get a regular cut so I look like I take care of myself which keeps my husband happy, because he doesn't like it when I skimp on hair cuts. I used to do it myself with sewing shears and a vacuum cleaner to hold the hair up and out checking for off cut areas, but I found a gal that does it for a bargain rate, and dh is happier.

I'm careful with colour choice because some colours next to my face make me look better, and some definitely the opposite. Since I refuse to look any sicker than I have to, I employ more feminine weapons and use good colour that looks good on me.

I choose classic clothing that never exposes extra flesh partly for modesty but also because those clothes are sunscreen, and as with the face cream, no need to wrinkle out and get freckles in places I don't have to. :rolleyes: I find by basing my clothes on neutrals with pops of happy colour it keeps my dh cheery and me too. Plus it's easy on the budget.

I always wear a little jewelry that goes with the outfit of the day, it's often earrings from the clearance racks at my favourite clothing emporiums but I choose it like the makeup and clothes to emphasize that I'm not a man, I'm a woman, and I like to look nice for dh. I choose scarves often to help preserve my clothes (a chic form of a bib if you ask me) as well as add a soft feminine touch of colour and print to my very neutral classic outfits.

I want to emphasize that it's ok to be feminine. We don't have to do the christian version of the burka and almost erase ourselves from existence. I notice and deeply approve of the feminine prints and cuts that some of the ladies on this thread use. It's going to be different for everyone. Someone may dress all in grey, and that can look stunning too. I wear pants often, but they are never too tight, and always in a dark neutral and classic cut and fabric.

My bottom line (pun intended):D is that it should glorify God first and foremost and for those of us with husbands, it should please them. This means there isn't one look fits all. Nor a single makeup technique or hairdo that works for all but in all things we do glorify God by showing that we are thankful we were created female. And that means a feminine modest joyous approach to our appearance.
I wish that I could wear make up. My allergies are so bad that even oil-free, dye-free, fragrance-free, etc., products don't work for me.

Suzanne

If I may intrude once more, cautiously, I would like to ask why do women love shoes so much?

One of the funniest things I ever heard my mom say, she said to my DW: "When I die, you are going to be so ill with me."
"Why?", my wife asked.
"Because when you are cleaning out my house, you are going to find the hundreds of pairs of shoes I have. And none of them fit you!"

Then she purely cackled.
:pound:rofl I love that mom!

Suzanne

I applaud you for this growth! You're not doing anything that we didn't do, once our desire to serve Christ and honor Him got to "that" point! I wear ankle length skirts all the time. Even using a chainsaw, lol.

I usually wear tiered skirts because they're feminine, but I won't wear anything that's tight enough to require a split. When it's cold, I wear leggings and (depending) petticoats under my skirts.

I also wear long maxi's with a shrug (like a half cardigan, not one of those hoochie ones) and sandals (I never wear sandals to church).

No cleavage showing. We're not to put ourselves on display because that's of the world and we're to be separate.

The Spirit will guide you and you'll know, as you choose something, whether it will please the Lord or not. Always remember this (and believe it or not, this was something our pastor told our husbands in a Sunday morning service): God knows how cute these new styles are. He knows that women love shoes more than women love air. He knows that we'd love to buy these great, form fitting fashions with those most excellent new suede boots (you know, the ones that lace down the front and make you seven inches taller?). He knows. He also knows that when we choose to deny the flesh to honor Him that we do it out of love and respect for Him. You've made a sacrifice to the Lord. He honors that!
Ready, I just have to say that you are awesome. I can see you forging across the prairies in a covered wagon two or three hundred years ago.

My mother was the same kind of woman. She loved her high heels and make-up, but she could wring a chicken's neck in a couple of seconds. She was a farm girl who raised a city daughter.

Bron

Standing on the Promises of God!
I wish that I could wear make up. My allergies are so bad that even oil-free, dye-free, fragrance-free, etc., products don't work for me.
There are many lovely alternatives that don't contain chemical junk. I buy my products from people on Etsy who make cosmetics, lotions, creams, etc. from lovely organic food-grade things. I also get things from natural stores, and make some of my products as well. No chemicals, no fake stuff. I have always been very sensitive to many things so I am very careful of what I use: toothpaste, mouthwash, deodorant, lotions, facial moisturizer, lip color, shampoo, laundry soap, fragrance oils...
For example, I wash my face with washing grains that are made with ground up hibiscus, ground oats, pink clay, rose essential oil. I mix it into a paste with rose water.
I sometimes just wet my face and then rub on some raw honey and rinse it off.

Have a beautiful day!
:hug

BeautyForAshes

As long as you cover up all your charms, I don't think wearing something colorful and fashionable is wrong. My skirts go past my knees and I keep my neckline covered modestly, but I also love to accessorize with jewelry, scarfs, cute shoes and a little dab of makeup. I think girls should look like girls, but modestly.

I agree about the grey.. I love it too! It's so easy to match up other colors with it.

athenasius

As long as you cover up all your charms, I don't think wearing something colorful and fashionable is wrong.
I love the way you said it, that pretty much covers it (couldn't resist) for me too! Well put!

There are many lovely alternatives that don't contain chemical junk. I buy my products from people on Etsy who make cosmetics, lotions, creams, etc. from lovely organic food-grade things. I also get things from natural stores, and make some of my products as well. No chemicals, no fake stuff. I have always been very sensitive to many things so I am very careful of what I use: toothpaste, mouthwash, deodorant, lotions, facial moisturizer, lip color, shampoo, laundry soap, fragrance oils...
For example, I wash my face with washing grains that are made with ground up hibiscus, ground oats, pink clay, rose essential oil. I mix it into a paste with rose water.
I sometimes just wet my face and then rub on some raw honey and rinse it off.

Have a beautiful day!
:hug
Bron I was thinking of you this morning, as I dribbled a dot of argan oil all over my face after washing and before the usual sunscreen I wear. I like it for the extra moisture, but it's a lovely moisturizer on it's own as I'm sure you probably already know. I get it at my local Winners store which is like Marshall's in the States. A little on the face, the hair, the nails. Good stuff.

Cindy S.

When he comes, will he find faith? Luke 18:8
I asked my husband who grew up on a farm and often uses farmer terminology. I said what is the true male opinion on make up my
60 year old DH said barns always look better painted as long as it's not too much.
I've been having fun playing with eyeshadow ever since.

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
I love my Maybelline mascara, and I have naturally long eye lashes. When I was a bookkeeper at a Bank in the late 70's, the head bookkeeper asked me what kind of mascara I used. I noticed she got her some when she walked in one day. I don't like eye liner or eye shadow. Try to look as natural as possible. I do wear face powder. A little color doesn't hurt anyone.

Kem

Citizen
Bare Minerals, it's all powder based. You don't pull on your skin to apply like you do with liquid foundations.
I like Bare Minerals but found that Maybelline had a nice one that was a lot less expensive and easy to find in most pharmacies. Sadly it has been discontinued. They do have a mousse whip that works rather well but does require a bit of rubbing it around. It stays well on my still oily skin though. You would think at my age the oily thing would no longer be an issue...sigh...Anyway, I agree with the consensus above that the idea of modesty is to look like a woman, be properly covered and not dress for any kind of "look at me" appearance. And the "look at me" can be either over the top dressing up and makeup or purposeful plain Jane, dowdy clothing and no make up.

Lynn

Longing for Home
I agree, not only for modesty but at my age, I am not trying to attract attention. . . . . :)
I agree! Whenever I'm looking at clothes in a store, I often find an outfit that I think is really pretty. But then, I think to myself, if I wear this, people will be admiring it & complimenting me. That totally does it for me. I leave it on the rack. Not interested in drawing attention to myself.
I wear mostly neutral colors that hardly anyone would take a second look. I enjoy being known for 'who' I am as a person, not attracting people to the person in the clothes I'm wearing.

yrrek

I didn't come from a Christian family and joined the church when I was in my 20's. I feel like many people overthink clothing. There have been many times I dress in dark black boring colors. Sometimes I wear bright colors. There have been Sundays I have worn jeans. It hasn't stopped anyone around me from worshiping or listening to the message. Of course, I'm always covered and not wearing anything outlandish. In my personal opinion, I believe it would depend on the environment. If you're going to be a stumbling block for someone else it's better to try and respect others but like in my church we put emphasis on come as you are (within reason). I'd say wear what you're comfortable with. If it's not harming anyone and you're covered up there shouldn't be a problem.

Cloud Watcher

I love colorful things. I'm not one for black or gray or dull. Modesty as far as covering private areas is definitely important. I am always mumbling, "put some clothes on", when I see women who look like they are on their way to the doctor for a breast exam but don't want the hassle of undressing when they get there, so they already have it all hanging out. Hemlines that barely cover the butt get me mumbling too...and too tight pants that emphasize the crack. Do they really think that is attractive?

Momma D

I am a jeans and tee shirt kind of person, with sneakers or ballet flats.
Heels give me cramps, but I can clean up pretty nice for weddings , graduations, or any of a few other events. Jewelry never interested me, except a pair of earrings, always, and maybe a simple necklace. I think it started when I was a kid...tomboy all the way! BTW I do love color...works well with my pale skin.
Jim never minded the way I dressed, but he did appreciate the 'cleaned'up look as well!
My daughters have promised to tell me if I am dressing inappropriately for my age, so I have a great team watching out for me ;)
My 18 year old granddaughter picked out a cute tee for me at Aeropostale to match one she she brought for herself...how sweet is that :smile
God is good, even in these things that don't make much difference!

Last edited: