We are gonna fry a turkey! BUT...............

caligal

:heythereI need help with the injector seasoning, and the rub?? Has anyone here ever done this? Any advise? We are taking it to a ball field where they are doing it for fundraising.

BuzzardHut

Bird Mod
I'm frying 4 turkeys this week; 2 on Wednesday and 2 Thursday; I would not inject any liquid; just thaw out your 15lb bird in a brine bath, pat dry, add season salt/pepper and a little flour and then dump in 330 degree oil for about 40 minutes

Last edited:

SkyRider

I'm a little troubled at the mental visual I have of a buzzard preparing a holiday meal in such a fashion; it dispels the usual notion I get of a bird of prey swooping down for fast food prepared by SUV's and such??

Sorry for the intrusion....carrion (that is, carry on)!

SkyRider

Yeah, I guess not. One last commercial break from the topic.

I had a good buddy I went to high school with out in southern California (Mission Viejo), who ended up moving to Hinckley, Ohio during our junior year. Used to fly out to visit him on occasion. Hinckley, Ohio, though, is famous for the return of the buzzards every year on March 15th; much like the swallows return to San Juan Capistrano yearly. It is a huge deal for the local township: parades, festivals, pancake breakfasts, and such. This past March, they were about 30 minutes late arriving; must have been held up at the border due to tighter re-entry restrictions imposed by TSA agents and customs.

Kem

Citizen
Cali, how did the turkey come out? Our dear friend Brian always fries a turkey for Thanksgiving and it really is so moist and delicious.

anath

I Love the Lord
Oh Cali, I have just now seen this thread. I agree with Buzz, all that injectable stuff....its just unnecessary.
I'm glad to hear you were going to a ball field to fry them.
Each year we hear of houses burning down from fires caused by frying turkeys. I only heard of two that burned down yesterday but one is too many. One incident became two..... one house caught fire and then the house next door....:((

Anyway, hope yours was yummy!

caligal

The turkey came out great, and we have yummy leftovers for sandwiches. I pulled all the stuff out of the cavities and cooked the neck, gizzard, and heart in chicken broth with some sage and Mrs Dash. Fed the meat to DH and kept the broth and injected some of it into the turkey. It came out really good.:elmogrin

BuzzardHut

Bird Mod
The turkey came out great, and we have yummy leftovers for sandwiches. I pulled all the stuff out of the cavities and cooked the neck, gizzard, and heart in chicken broth with some sage and Mrs Dash. Fed the meat to DH and kept the broth and injected some of it into the turkey. It came out really good.:elmogrin
Gonna fry 2 more this weekend! :thumbup