Was the Earth formed ‘in a day’?

Lovin Jesus

It all falls back to trusting God. Though we have Gods word which was written under inspiration from God for us (2 Timothy 3:16), we aren't going to understand everything about God and why or how he does things unless he reveals it to us " for my thoughts are not your thoughts neither are my ways your ways"...Isaiah 55:8. There's no need to question our salvation based on whether a biblical number is literal or symbolic. The whole purpose of the scriptures written from Genesis to Revelation are evident in Romans 15:4 " for everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the scriptures we might have hope". As believers our salvation is secure through our Savior Jesus, John 10:29. If Genesis had never been written and including Genesis 3:15 as part of Gods plan, he would have Still provided a Savior. Because God loves us and is faithful and trustworthy.

Last edited:

ItIsFinished!

It all falls back to trusting God. Though we have Gods word which was written under inspiration from God for us (2 Timothy 3:16), we aren't going to understand everything about God and why or how he does things unless he reveals it to us. There's no need to question our salvation based on whether a biblical number is literal or symbolic. The whole purpose of the scriptures written from Genesis to Revelation are evident in Romans 15:4 " for everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the scriptures we might have hope". As believers our salvation is secure through our Savior Jesus, John 10:29. If Genesis had never been written and including Genesis 3:15 as part of Gods plan, he would have Still provided a Savior. Because God loves us and is faithful and trustworthy.
Right on :thumbup

pixelpusher

The Supremacy of the Son
(Hebrews 1:1-14)

15The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16For in Him all things were created, things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities. All things were created through Him and for Him.

17He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.
18And He is the head of the body, the church; He is the beginning and firstborn from among the dead, so that in all things He may have preeminence. 19For God was pleased to have all His fullness dwell in Him, 20and through Him to reconcile to Himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through the blood of His cross.

21Once you were alienated from God and were hostile in your minds because of your evil deeds. 22But now He has reconciled you by Christ’s physical body through death to present you holy, unblemished, and blameless in His presence— 23if indeed you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope of the gospel you heard, which has been proclaimed to every creaturee under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant

Kenny

Great article by Jack, almost always love his articles.

But I have a question on this part of the article:
Paul, writing under the inspiration of God, knew that the two worldviews would clash. He cautioned Timothy, “O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:” (2 Timothy 6:20)
There is no 2 Timothy 6:20. I'm sure it is probably a typpo.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Great article by Jack, almost always love his articles.

But I have a question on this part of the article:
Paul, writing under the inspiration of God, knew that the two worldviews would clash. He cautioned Timothy, “O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:” (2 Timothy 6:20)
There is no 2 Timothy 6:20. I'm sure it is probably a typpo.
Hmm, I'm sure it was a typo. I find them all the time when I re-post them in Wordpress and it shows the misspellings, etc. That always reminds me Jack was human. :nod

Anyone know which verse that is? :scratch

antitox

You may recall that in Genesis 1 it states each day, "and there was an evening and there was morning, one day." This is stated on each day. I think the Lord wanted to give clarity to the account that it is actually one physical day. Otherwise if we tacked the 1000 yr position to this, then He would have to rest on the 7th day for a thousand years.

Secondly, in 2 Peter 3:8 where it says, "But do not ignore this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day." Notice that he is saying it BOTH WAYS. Therefore, it shows that God can do in one day what we think would take a thousand years.

He said to Abraham and others, "Is anything too hard for the Lord?"

Last edited:

JSTyler

Hmm, I'm sure it was a typo. I find them all the time when I re-post them in Wordpress and it shows the misspellings, etc. That always reminds me Jack was human. :nod

Anyone know which verse that is? :scratch
But, "A typo is like a thousand mistakes and a thousand mistakes is like a typo!" Thus and thus, can we know and trust anything now? Oh my, the existential conundrum we find ourselves in :rolleyes2 Oh great allegory...please come and save us!!!

:sarcasm

Salluz

Got it back
And even if one day actually were 1000 years in the creation account (it isn't)... it still wouldn't fit with the billions of years proposed by evolutionists. You just end up with a theory that lands somewhere in the middle between two viewpoints and makes even less sense than than the wrong one :wink if bacteria could turn into a person over the course of 6 thousand years, we would have been able to observe it over the course of recorded human history.

Why do some Christians try so hard to not take the Bible at face value? A day is a day. One evening and one morning does not a thousand years make. Now someone will probably say "the evening lasted 500 years and the morning lasted 500 years" and then I will pull my hair out :lol

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Why do some Christians try so hard to not take the Bible at face value? A day is a day. One evening and one morning does not a thousand years make. Now someone will probably say "the evening lasted 500 years and the morning lasted 500 years" and then I will pull my hair out
Probably because for their entire walk they've been exposed to religious leaders who have the intellect (cough, cough) to determine what the Word actually means v.s. what the common folk might believe when they read it and take it at face value...

Lovin Jesus

Probably because for their entire walk they've been exposed to religious leaders who have the intellect (cough, cough) to determine what the Word actually means v.s. what the common folk might believe when they read it and take it at face value...
and thus why there are so many religions. Some religious leaders (wolves in sheeps covering) take from scripture what sounds good to them makes an interpretation and forms a religious doctrine and draws disciples unto themselves and a new religion is born. Distorting the scriptures is dangeous though because there is a penaly for it. "He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction". 2 Peter 3:16. When we are saved and receive the Holy Spirit He becomes our helper and through Him we can understand the word of God..."these are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God." 2 Corinthians 2:10. Whether a day is a 24 hour day or a thousand year figurative day is a good question and discussion, and can help us understand other things in the bible but I think that God reveals what He wants us to know at the proper time. This was also true with the prophets who directly received the word of God yet didnt always understand everything about the prophecies but still obeyed God and listened to Him. Everything is for Gods will and His purpose. When and if He wants us to understnad something He will reveal it to us keeping in mind Jesus words "anything you ask in my name will be given to you". God doesnt keep anything from us that is good for us. "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28.

Last edited:

ByGod'sGrace

Yes, I've had a pastor tell me I couldn't understand the Bible like he could, because I didn't go to seminary (this was the pastor who also believes in Amillennialism). I think the modern seminary "knowledge" puffs people up so they can't see the plain truth, and then they get on board with hedging the fence of what is popular with culture and what is popular with "famous" preachers, and that becomes the new truth of what the Bible says, instead of what the Bible says.

ItIsFinished!

Yes, I've had a pastor tell me I couldn't understand the Bible like he could, because I didn't go to seminary (this was the pastor who also believes in Amillennialism). I think the modern seminary "knowledge" puffs people up so they can't see the plain truth, and then they get on board with hedging the fence of what is popular with culture and what is popular with "famous" preachers, and that becomes the new truth of what the Bible says, instead of what the Bible says.
Alot of truth in this post.
All of us cats ain't colored the same though.
;) :hug

JSTyler

Dr. David Hocking refers to this as, "being educated beyond your intelligence." In more modern vernacular, we'd call it indoctrination. It's the most deviant form of discipleship, as in; creating/making images of the image of the recreation of the image of the seminary zeitgeist rather than making disciples in the image of Christ Jesus.

mikhen7

Freed By Christ to Serve Christ
If God exists and He is the creator of the universe why is He limited in any way?

I've never understood why we don't take Him at His word, that a day as it says in Genesis is a day. A literal 24 hour day. Whenever the Hebrew word YOM occurs, if it has a number attached (the first day, the second day) it refers to a literal day.

How big and powerful is He? If we trust Him and believe Him to save us, can't we trust Him and believe Him when He says it took 6 literal days, and He rested on the 7th.

Those who rest in Him for Salvation, need to grow a little further and understand that when God spoke in Exodus 20:1-17 the 10 Commandments, the 8th-11th verses specify this in the 4rth Commandment. And again, it has a number attached, meaning a literal 24 hour day.

8 “Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Ken Ham points all this out in this link https://answersingenesis.org/days-of-creation/did-jesus-say-he-created-in-six-literal-days/

Because if God doesn't mean what He says, how can we trust Salvation?

It's the reason Satan attacks Genesis.

Because a literal Creation, a literal Fall into the Curse of Death by Sin, one in which ALL humanity fell because they were still locked up in Adams seed, as yet unborn so taking part in Adam, into the Fall.

IF God exists, and He says Genesis is true, then we fell, and we need a SAVIOUR.

Which is why teaching creation to the kids and youth in church is essential. When they go into any classroom at any age, they are hit by the most appalling lies to undermine the truth of Genesis.

Because without Genesis, we didn't fall and we don't need a saviour.

But if Genesis is TRUE, then we are the walking dead till we accept our Saviour after which we pass from death into life.
I posted this in another thread, but since this discusses some of the same content, I decided to post it here too. It is a word study I did on the Hebrew word YOM.

YOM as used in the early chapters of Genesis

The Hebrew word יוֹם yom has been expressed widely, and often inappropriately, to either convey a meaning of a literal twenty-four-hour time period, or a day, as we measure one today, or an as expression of an uncertain time period. The goal is to determine which way it was used in the creation account.

I have chosen four uses of the word using the first eight chapters of Genesis.
  • Genesis 1:5 (NKJV) - “God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day.” YOM in two contexts
  • God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night.” The basic meaning of yôm is “day (from sunrise to sundown)” in contrast to laylâ (layil, lêl “night”[1] This is an important distinction in this verse because “light” is associated with day just as layla (night) is associated to darkness. This shows a clear division in time and is the first usage of the Hebrew word yom (day). However, we cannot draw a distinction from this use alone. Also, defined in the verse is the same singular noun yom in confluence with “night” and “day.” “So the evening and the morning were the first day.” This clearly pictures yom as compounding the “day” light and “night” darkness together into one time period. Now we need to define the length of the time period.
  • Gen. 1:14 (NKJV) – “Then God said, “Let there be lights in the firmament of the heavens to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs and seasons, and for days and years.” This passage begins the fourth day of creation and it is agreed the syntax of the passage, vss. 14-19, includes the creation of the sun, moon, and stars. In verse 14 yom is used twice, first as a singular noun and second in its plural form.
  • Let there be lights in the firmament of the heavens to divide the day from the night…” Here again we see a division of time in the usage of night, layla and day, yom. Interestingly, Wilhelm Gesenius defines yom from “an unused root, apparently signifying heat[2] I find this very intriguing. Even in the “Syr. ܝܘܰܡܳܐ, Arabic يَوْمُ id. [He states] The primary signification appears to me to be that of the heat of the day.”[3] The reason I find this so fascinating is because of the empirical knowledge that heat rules the daytime and cooler air the night, both in repetitive time periods equaling a literal twenty-four-hour period.
  • let them be for signs and seasons, and for days and years.” The second usage of yom in vs. 14 is in its plural form. This signifies the usage of yom as a shorter time period, which compounded together (plural), builds up into signs, seasons and years, or lengthier time periods.
  • Genesis 4:3 (NKJV) – “And in the process of time it came to pass that Cain brought an offering of the fruit of the ground to the Lord.”
  • In its use here, context and syntax define the usage of the term. Yom is found in the phrase inthe process of time.” The word in, Heb. qes, is singular in number and conjoins with the plural form of yom, yamim, to make up the preposition “in the process of time.”
  • James Swanson defines qes as “a point in time marking the completion of a duration.”[4] Context tells us that at a specified point in the future, Cain brought an offering to the Lord. We know this is an extended future period because it takes yamim to grow vegetables. It is the period of harvesting and offering that yamim describes. In this syntactical and contextual usage yom, in its plural form, is a period of time of undefined length.
  • Gen. 6:5 (NKJV) - Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
  • In 6:5 the term translated “continually” is an expression for an ongoing period of time. The singular noun kol (all), combines with the article ha (the), and a singular yom (day) to make the English translated word continually. It could be translated, “all the day” the intent of mankind’s heart was evil.
  • Again, syntax makes the final decision for the sure interpretation.
  • Genesis 8:22 (NKJV)
“While the earth remains,
Seedtime and harvest,
Cold and heat,
Winter and summer,
And day and night
Shall not cease.”
  • “While the earth remains.” Here context plays the larger role. Yom (remains) is used for repetition of time. We know this because the remainder of the passage uses the time periods, “seedtime and harvest,” “cold and heat,” “winter and summer” and “day and night” to delineate periods in our world. When the larger passage is looked at, we find that God had made a covenant with Noah stating that as long as these time periods continue to occur He would never destroy humanity by a flood..

In summary, I believe it can be clearly shown that context, syntax, and morphology, when applied correctly to the beginning chapters of Genesis, show, that yom (a day) is a widely and repetitiously used word used to define a singular time period having a division that makes up the whole. These divisions as seen in Gen. 1:5, are “light” and “night.” Together light and night make one yom. While yamim, the plural of yom, makes up many days that can extend into time periods—even seasons and years. I believe without a doubt, that God created the earth in six literal days and rested on the seventh literal day.

[1] Ernst Jenni and Claus Westermann, Theological Lexicon of the Old Testament (Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Publishers, 1997), 527.
[2] Wilhelm Gesenius and Samuel Prideaux Tregelles, Gesenius’ Hebrew and Chaldee Lexicon to the Old Testament Scriptures (Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software, 2003), 340.
[3] Ibid., 341.
[4] James Swanson, Dictionary of Biblical Languages with Semantic Domains : Hebrew (Old Testament) (Oak Harbor: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 1997).