Was Jesus a weakling?

Pat

WHAT mATTERS? Was Jesus weak or strong?​

Many people of Jesus’ day thought Him to be weak. They could not comprehend Him being the Word of God in human flesh. There were times in Jesus’ life where He seemed to be merely human, born in a stable, raised in a carpenter’s shop, not performing miracles when prompted such as turning stones into bread, or coming down from the cross. Yet there were other times where He acted like, and claimed to be God, forgiving sins, raising the dead, healing the lame and the blind, making declarations such as …Before Abraham was, I Am, John 8:58 and I and my Father are one. John 10:30 Why did He act and say such seemingly contradictory things?

Jesus, the eternal Word of God, became the only begotten Son of God in human flesh. Jesus, not as the Word, but as the submissive and obedient Son of the Father did not do His own will but the will of Him who sent Him. He acknowledged that it was His Father that did the miracles and His Father that manifested Himself through the Son. Jesus was manifested in weak human flesh so that God the Father would be glorified for doing the works. Jesus is the example that we are to follow. To live by faith just as He did. To do the humanly impossible by the power of God. Paul put it this way, “For though he was crucified through weakness, yet he liveth by the power of God. For we also are weak in him, but we shall live with him by the power of God toward you.” 2 Corinthians 13:4

The Jews took Jesus’ submissiveness to God as a sign of weakness, when by doing so, He was demonstrating His Father’s strength. We too can demonstrate God’s strength as we by faith allow Him to work in us. Hear what Jesus said to Paul, “My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.” Then Paul encouraged us by saying, “Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.” 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 What matters is, are we going to walk in our own strength, doing things for God, or walk in His strength, God doing things in us? “For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” Romans 8:3-4