warning with scripture on the internet

myinnuendo999

You had better BEWARE of certain online bible sites. I was reading a few minutes ago the book of Hebrews online instead of cracking open my bible. Well, I get to chapter 2 in Hebrews (NIV) at the time and something struck me WRONG. I stopped and picked up my bible and compared it to the Online bible NIV and it is CHANGED.

this is Biblegateway.com
5 It is not to angels that he has subjected the world to come, about which we are speaking. 6 But there is a place where someone has testified:

“What is mankind that you are mindful of them,
a son of man that you care for him?
7 You made them a little[a] lower than the angels;
you crowned them with glory and honor
8 and put everything under their feet.”[c]

In putting everything under them,[d] God left nothing that is not subject to them.[e] Yet at present we do not see everything subject to them.[f]

WHAT?????

Here's how it reads in my NIV Bible at home and Blue Letter Bible that both are matched up correctly.

Hbr 2:6 But there is a place where someone has testified: "What is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him?
Hbr 2:7 You made him a little [fn] lower than the angels; you crowned him with glory and honor
Hbr 2:8 and put everything under his feet." [fn] In putting everything under him, God left nothing that is not subject to him. Yet at present we do not see everything subject to him.

I'm NEVER using Biblegateway again. they are sneaky and dangerous changing God's word.....

I see that there's New International Version with a c inside a circle 2010 beside it.. Maybe that's the problem.. STILL all these false versions please be very careful.

Meg

I see that there's New International Version with a c inside a circle 2010 beside it.. Maybe that's the problem.. STILL all these false versions please be very careful.
Somebody "revised" the NIV, and thats the version that Biblegateway is pushing. God bless you precious sister, good catch!

My goodness, we really are close to the trib aren't we? My goodness, they are getting truly brazen in their rebellion against the Lord these days! That thread about the famine of the Word, I think I really did underestimate how right that perception was. I wonder, should we start petitioning the big Christian book chains like Lifeway and Family Christian Stores to stop carrying that version and that weird Fishing With Trish that Billifan spotted. New Christians wouldn't know there was anything wrong with that revised NIV.

We're going to have to be more sure of ourselves than ever now, standing our ground quietly and refusing to back down. The Truth is being despised as never before.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
Very interesting. The error crept in with the "Today's New International Version" published in 2005. I have absolutely no idea what textual justification they can make for the change. In Greek, in every case in this passage, the third person personal pronoun is clearly singular, not plural. It can NOT be "them", only "him". Rather, their change is based on a desire to be gender neutral and therefore they have modified the Word of God to use gender-inclusive language "them" instead of "him". They intend it to be a generic numberless "them", not a plural "them". But it doesn't fly. And it does alter the Word of God. For this you can thank the politicially correct and feminist agenda that argues that masculine attributes of God reflect a primitive misogynistic societal view and exclude women from the divine relationship.

:doh:

As someone once said, "If we wouldn't think of adding a comma to the Gettysburg Address, why would we think to alter God's Word?" Somebody ought to point out Revelation 22:18-19 to the committee that chose to do so.