Warning From A Democrat To Democrats

Mary Cole

After Attending a Trump Rally, I Now Know Democrats Have No Shot in 2020
I’ve been a Democrat for 20 years, but my experience made me realize just how out of touch my party is with the country at large

Karlyn Borysenko
Feb 11

I think those of us on the left need to take a long look in the mirror and have an honest conversation about what’s going on.

If you had told me three years ago that I would ever attend a Donald Trump rally, I would have laughed and assured you that was never going to happen. Heck, if you had told me I would do it three months ago, I probably would have done the same thing. So, how did I find myself among 11,000-plus Trump supporters in Manchester, New Hampshire? Believe it or not, it all started with knitting.

You might not think of the knitting world as a particularly political community, but you’d be wrong. Many knitters are particularly active in social justice communities and love to discuss the revolutionary role knitters have played in our culture. I started noticing this about a year ago, particularly on Instagram. I knit as a way to relax and escape the drama of real life, not to further engage with it. But it was impossible to ignore after roving gangs of online social justice warriors started going after anyone in the knitting community who was not lockstep in their ideology. Knitting stars on Instagram were bullied and mobbed by hundreds of people for seemingly innocuous offenses. One man got mobbed so badly that he had a nervous breakdown and was admitted to the hospital on suicide watch. Many things were not right about the hatred, and witnessing the vitriol coming from those I had aligned myself with politically was a massive wake-up call.

You see, I was one of those Democrats who considered anyone who voted for Trump a racist. I thought they were horrible (yes, even deplorable) and worked very hard to eliminate their voices from my spaces by unfriending or blocking people who spoke about their support of him, however minor their comments. I watched a lot of MSNBC, was convinced that everything he had done was horrible, that he hated anyone who wasn’t a straight white man, and that he had no redeeming qualities.

But when I witnessed the amount of hate coming from the left in this small, niche knitting community, I started to question everything. I started making a proactive effort to break my echo chamber by listening to voices I thought I would disagree with. I wanted to understand their perspective, believing it would confirm that they were filled with hate for anyone who wasn’t like them.

That turned out not to be the case. The more voices outside the left that I listened to, the more I realized that these were not bad people. They were not racists, nazis, or white supremacists. We had differences of opinions on social and economic issues, but a difference of opinion does not make your opponent inherently evil. And they could justify their opinions using arguments, rather than the shouting and ranting I saw coming from my side of the aisle.

I started to discover (or perhaps rediscover) the #WalkAway movement. I had heard about #WalkAway when MSNBC told me it was fake and a bunch of Russian bots. But then I started to meet real people who had been Democrats and made the decision to leave because they could not stand the way the left was behaving. I watched town halls they held with different minority communities (all available in their entirety on YouTube), and I saw sane, rational discussion from people of all different races, backgrounds, orientations, and experiences. I joined the Facebook group for the community and saw stories popping up daily of people sharing why they are leaving the Democratic Party. This wasn’t fake. These people are not Russian bots. Moreover, it felt like a breath of fresh air. There was not universal agreement in this group — some were Trump supporters, some weren’t — but they talked and shared their perspective without shouting or rage or trying to cancel each other.

I started to question everything. How many stories had I been sold that weren’t true? What if my perception of the other side is wrong? How is it possible that half the country is overtly racist? Is it possible that Trump derangement syndrome is a real thing, and had I been suffering from it for the past three years?

And the biggest question of all was this: Did I hate Trump so much that I wanted to see my country fail just to spite him and everyone who voted for him?

Fast-forward to the New Hampshire primary, and we have all the politicians running around the state making their case. I’ve seen almost every Democratic candidate in person and noticed that their messages were almost universally one of doom and gloom, not only focusing on the obvious disagreements with Donald Trump, but also making sure to emphasize that the country is a horribly racist place.

Now, I do believe there are very real issues when it comes to race that we as a society have yet to reckon with. I believe that everyone from every background of every gender should have equal access to opportunities, and that no one is inherently more or less valuable or worthy than anyone else. And while the 2017 protests in Charlottesville, Virginia, led to a tragedy precipitated by real racists and real nazis and real white supremacists, I started to see that those labels simply don’t apply to most people who support Trump.

But with all of this, I was still reticent to even consider attending a Trump event. I do not believe that Trump’s attitude is worthy of the highest office in the land. I abhor his Twitter. I am vehemently opposed to so many of his policies. But still, I wanted to see for myself.

I’m not going to lie, I was nervous, so I thought I would start my day in familiar territory: at an MSNBC live show that was taking place a few blocks away from the rally. I decided to wear my red hat that looks like a Trump hat but with one small difference — it says “Make Speech Free Again”—as my small protest against cancel culture. I even got a photo with MSNBC host Ari Melber while I was wearing it, just for kicks.

The funny thing about that hat is that it’s completely open to interpretation. When I wear it around left-leaning people, they think I’m talking about the right. When I wear it around right-leaning folks, they think I’m talking about the left. It’s a stark reminder of how much our own perspectives and biases play into how we view the world.

In chatting with the folks at the taping, I casually said that I was thinking about going over to the Trump rally. The first reaction they had was a genuine fear for my safety. I had never seen people I didn’t know so passionately urge me to avoid all those people. One woman told me that those people were the lowest of the low. Another man told me that he had gone to one of Trump’s rallies in the past and had been the target of harassment by large muscle-bound men. Another woman offered me her pepper spray. I assured them all that I thought I would be fine and that I would get the heck out of dodge if I got nervous.

What they didn’t know is that they weren’t the only ones I had heard from who were afraid. Some of my more right-leaning friends online expressed genuine fear at my going, but not because they were afraid of the attendees. They were afraid of people on the left violently attacking attendees. This was one day after a man had run his car through a Republican voter registration tent in Florida, and there was a genuine fear that there would be a repeat, or that antifa would bus people up from Boston for it. Just as I had assured those on the left, I told them I thought I would be fine, because we don’t really have antifa in New Hampshire.

But I’m not going to say it didn’t get to me a bit. When everyone around you is nervous for your safety, it’s hard not to question if they have a point. But it also made me more determined to see it through, because it was a stark reminder that both sides view each other exactly the same way. They are both afraid of the other side and what they are capable of. I couldn’t help but think that if they could just see the world through the lens of the other for a moment or two, it would be a stark revelation that they don’t know as much as they think they do.

So, I headed over an hour and a half before the doors were scheduled to open—which was four hours before Trump was set to take the stage—and the line already stretched a mile away from the entrance to the arena. As I waited, I chatted with the folks around me. And contrary to all the fears expressed, they were so nice. I was not harassed or intimidated, and I was never in fear of my safety even for a moment. These were average, everyday people. They were veterans, schoolteachers, and small business owners who had come from all over the place for the thrill of attending this rally. They were upbeat and excited. In chatting, I even let it slip that I was a Democrat. The reaction: “Good for you! Welcome!”

Once we got inside, the atmosphere was jubilant. It was more like attending a rock concert than a political rally. People were genuinely enjoying themselves. Some were even dancing to music being played over the loudspeakers. It was so different than any other political event I had ever attended. Even the energy around Barack Obama in 2008 didn’t feel like this.

I had attended an event with all the Democratic contenders just two days prior in exactly the same arena, and the contrast was stark. First, Trump completely filled the arena all the way up to the top. Even with every major Democratic candidate in attendance the other night, and the campaigns giving away free tickets, the Democrats did not do that. With Trump, every single person was unified around a singular goal. With the Democrats, the audience booed over candidates they didn’t like and got into literal shouting matches with each other. With Trump, there was a genuinely optimistic view of the future. With the Democrats, it was doom and gloom. With Trump, there was a genuine feeling of pride of being an American. With the Democrats, they emphasized that the country was a racist place from top to bottom.

Now, Trump is always going to present the best case he can. And yes, he lies. This is provable. But the strength of this rally wasn’t about the facts and figures. It was a group of people who felt like they had someone in their corner, who would fight for them. Some people say, “Well, obviously they’re having a great time. They’re in a cult.” I don’t think that’s true. The reality is that many people I spoke to do disagree with Trump on things. They don’t always like his attitude. They wish he wouldn’t tweet so much. People who are in cults don’t question their leaders. The people I spoke with did, but the pros in their eyes far outweighed the cons. They don’t love him because they think he’s perfect. They love him despite his flaws, because they believe he has their back.

As I left the rally—walking past thousands of people who were watching it on a giant monitor outside the arena because they couldn’t get in—I knew there was no way Trump would lose in November. Absolutely no way. I truly believe that it doesn’t matter who the Democrats nominate: Trump is going to trounce them. If you don’t believe me, attend one of his rallies and see for yourself. Don’t worry, they really won’t hurt you.

Today, I voted in the New Hampshire Democratic Primary for Pete Buttigieg. I genuinely feel that Pete would be great for this country, and maybe he’ll have his opportunity in the future. But tomorrow, I’ll be changing my voter registration from Democrat to Independent and walking away from the party I’ve spent the past 20 years in to sit in the middle for a while. There are extremes in both parties that I am uncomfortable with, but I also fundamentally believe that most people on both sides are good, decent human beings who want the best for the country and have dramatic disagreements on how to get there. But until we start seeing each other as human beings, there will be no bridging the divide. I refuse to be a part of the divisiveness any longer. I refuse to hate people I don’t know simply because they choose to vote for someone else. If we’re going to heal the country, we have to start taking steps toward one another rather than away.

I think the Democrats have an a**-kicking coming to them in November, and I think most of them will be utterly shocked when it happens, because they’re existing in an echo chamber that is not reflective of the broader reality. I hope it’s a wake-up call that causes them to take a long look in the mirror and really ask themselves how they got here. Maybe then they’ll start listening. I tend to doubt it, but I can hope.

Footsteps

Good report. I think it would take a catastrophe that appeared to be Trump's fault to endanger his victory in November. And I think you are wondering like many: What happened to the Democratic Party?
Here's what I tell people if they can't understand anything else: He's a bully, but he's OUR bully. The world has become a tough neighborhood. I don't give a RIP what our allies or our enemies think. I want them to fear us. How we act and the faith we represent when we interact with individuals would banish all fear. Remember Desert Storm? When our army overran the Iraqis, their ragged underfed soldiers came up to our soldiers, many on their knees kissing our guys' hands. They had been assured we would do them GREAT harm. Remember what one of our guys said? He pushed his hand down in a calming manner and said, "It's OK. We're Americans."
I wish the whole world saw us the way those Iraqis, on that day, saw us. Sadly, it's too late.
Soon and very soon a reckoning will occur.
I think Democratic leadership was too trusting. Now it's easy to see the impact of America First. It's easy for the sharpest trader, the best speaker, and the funniest stand-up comic (at need) among the candidates to read the Snake story and make people think "I have heard gospel truth." Enough truth for now, anyway. Iran's economy is in the toilet. We are energy independent. So what do Democrats contribute? A proposal to ask Congress MOTHER MAY I when dealing with Iran!!
Let me put it this way: The best is good enough. You don't switch from a hoss to a donkey mid-stream. Frankly I would rather see two strong, sane parties working together for America. What I really see is what you see.

Narrow Path

The traditional JFK style Democrat party has been slowly hijacked by radical progressive leftists. They need to join the walk away movement or oust the progressives. There was a time not long ago when the two parties would differ on domestic issues, but would still unite against a common enemy. I’m not certain that’s the case anymore. Terrorists kill 3 thousand in the Towers, and some on the left were saying we deserved it. Even just twenty or so years ago most Democrats would have laughed at the notion of gay marriage as preposterous. Twenty years ago, the notion of aborting a baby just prior to birth would still have been abhorrent to most Democrats. Today these “values” are standard platform issues that anyone claiming to be a Democrat are obliged to agree with. I believe most of the Democrats I know are of the traditional mindset, but simply keep voting D out of habit, and because the only opposition voice they hear might be a Facebook meme. They are certainly not going to listen to conservative radio, or watch PragerU videos.

TimeWarpWife

The Democrat party isn't just out of touch with the country at large, they're seriously out of touch with reality at this point and suffering from psychosis. Schiffty making up POTUS' phone call with Ukraine, Pelosi tearing up POTUS' speech like a petulant child, Schumer, Nadler, the other Dimwits and lamestream media telling outright lies and making stuff up that never happened ~ and in front of the Senate and everyone in the U.S. Sane, reasonable adults don't do things like this or take things to this extreme. The Left truly is mentally unhinged and sadly I doubt that many of their supporters will change their minds even when the truth is right in front of them. Liberals don't deal in the truth or reality.

Last edited:

Lovin Jesus

Good report. I think it would take a catastrophe that appeared to be Trump's fault to endanger his victory in November. And I think you are wondering like many: What happened to the Democratic Party?
Here's what I tell people if they can't understand anything else: He's a bully, but he's OUR bully. The world has become a tough neighborhood. I don't give a RIP what our allies or our enemies think. I want them to fear us. How we act and the faith we represent when we interact with individuals would banish all fear. Remember Desert Storm? When our army overran the Iraqis, their ragged underfed soldiers came up to our soldiers, many on their knees kissing our guys' hands. They had been assured we would do them GREAT harm. Remember what one of our guys said? He pushed his hand down in a calming manner and said, "It's OK. We're Americans."
I wish the whole world saw us the way those Iraqis, on that day, saw us. Sadly, it's too late.
Soon and very soon a reckoning will occur.
I think Democratic leadership was too trusting. Now it's easy to see the impact of America First. It's easy for the sharpest trader, the best speaker, and the funniest stand-up comic (at need) among the candidates to read the Snake story and make people think "I have heard gospel truth." Enough truth for now, anyway. Iran's economy is in the toilet. We are energy independent. So what do Democrats contribute? A proposal to ask Congress MOTHER MAY I when dealing with Iran!!
Let me put it this way: The best is good enough. You don't switch from a hoss to a donkey mid-stream. Frankly I would rather see two strong, sane parties working together for America. What I really see is what you see.

Love it! He's a bully, our bully!

antitox

If I was going to give the Democrats advice on how to beat Trump, I would tell them they need a dose of humility. The one thing that keeps them blinded to their problems is their overwhelming prideful attitude.
I don't think they can have humility. At least not right now. The reason is that they think they are right; that they are "holier than thou." That's why, I believe, that they continue to double down.

Footsteps

Trump has the “bully pulpit” and this will be too much to bear for the proud this November. If the proud cannot acquire any inkling that the Speaker ripping up the SOTU in front of the planet should at least inspire a modicum of introspection for those who hate Trump, and the civil war continues, you can count on another Republican victory in 2024.

Andy C

This election could be almost has bad for the dems as Ronald Reagans re-election in which he won all but one state. Whatever the final votes show, short of a total collapse of Trumps team, its going to be a landslide. Those who have recently recovered from TDS, will relapse, and never recover.

moosejive

Here's an even worse gag but it's not that removed from certain ongoing proposals related to criminal aliens:
A boy murders his parents. He throws himself on the mercy of the court on the basis that he is now an orphan.
This scenario unfortunately has the probability of being all too true. TDS blinds all it victims to recognizing hypocrisy and lies. Sufferers have lost the ability to be objective and reasonable. :sad

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
I am hoping that Our President beats them really bad more so than in 2016. It is good to see some Dem's are getting their eyes open to the truth of their party. A clue would be they support abortion, and letting illegal immigrants come in. Just to see how they acted at the impeachment of our President should be a real eye opener! Trump isn't perfect as none of us are, but he is for We The People, and cares about America!

Lovin Jesus

The Democrat party isn't just out of touch with the country at large, they're seriously out of touch with reality at this point and suffering from psychosis. Schiffty making up POTUS' phone call with Ukraine, Pelosi tearing up POTUS' speech like a petulant child, Schumer, Nadler, the other Dimwits and lamestream media telling outright lies and making stuff up that never happened ~ and in front of the Senate and everyone in the U.S. Sane, reasonable adults don't do things like this or take things to this extreme. The Left truly is mentally unhinged and sadly I doubt that many of their supporters will change their minds even when the truth is right in front of them. Liberals don't deal in the truth or reality.
You are so right. Democrats have made a 360 turn around from everything they use to believe in. What they view as values today are not in line with what this country was founded on or even what they ran on for decades. When it is for their benefit they will refer to the founding fathers yet they shame America for its history. For the past few years they have attacked our constitution, free speech, religious liberty, and our second amendment. These people are literally trying to destroy this free country and are headed toward transforming it beyond recognition, whether through socialism or outright totalitarianism. All they care about is power and control and they will lie and make false promises to captivate the attention of voters so they can blindly hand the power over to them. America needs to put God back as a nation. It bothers the left for God to be in anything and they have gradually removed God from the public square. I don't like the thought of there being another Democrat President, and for them to be the majority in both chambers of congress because in this time we are in and the way they think, I don't see anything but catastrophe coming if it happens. Rapture.......please.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
I know that right now everything looks good for President Trump. But nine months is a LONG time. And as good as his support may be, he still needs the votes on November 3. So all those who are happy or reasonably happy and all those who do not want to see a socialist president need to GET OUT AND VOTE! That is the only thing that will keep Donald Trump in the White House for another 4 years. And in the mean time, surely every red-blooded American who loves this country the way the forefathers designed it should be unofficially campaigning for President Trump in their individual circles of influence.

Sojourner414

The traditional JFK style Democrat party has been slowly hijacked by radical progressive leftists. They need to join the walk away movement or oust the progressives. There was a time not long ago when the two parties would differ on domestic issues, but would still unite against a common enemy. I’m not certain that’s the case anymore. Terrorists kill 3 thousand in the Towers, and some on the left were saying we deserved it. Even just twenty or so years ago most Democrats would have laughed at the notion of gay marriage as preposterous. Twenty years ago, the notion of aborting a baby just prior to birth would still have been abhorrent to most Democrats. Today these “values” are standard platform issues that anyone claiming to be a Democrat are obliged to agree with. I believe most of the Democrats I know are of the traditional mindset, but simply keep voting D out of habit, and because the only opposition voice they hear might be a Facebook meme. They are certainly not going to listen to conservative radio, or watch PragerU videos.
Agreed; back during WWII, the Democrats and Republicans were able to come together and set aside differences for the good of the nation. But nowadays, the leadership of the Democratic Party has been taken over by veritable Socialists who would rather run this nation into the ground than concede to anything even remotely "conservative". There is no longer any ability or desire to see anyone disagreeing with them as human, but rather, a relegation of those they disagree with to the status of a concept or idea, with only themselves counting as "human".

ItIsFinished!

I know that right now everything looks good for President Trump. But nine months is a LONG time. And as good as his support may be, he still needs the votes on November 3. So all those who are happy or reasonably happy and all those who do not want to see a socialist president need to GET OUT AND VOTE! That is the only thing that will keep Donald Trump in the White House for another 4 years. And in the mean time, surely every red-blooded American who loves this country the way the forefathers designed it should be unofficially campaigning for President Trump in their individual circles of influence.
Boom!
Absolutely friend.
It isn't guaranteed that President Trump will be re-elected.
I sure hope and pray that he is.
And we all need to vote!