Warning for Americans traveling to China

Lovin Jesus

BEIJING (Reuters) - The U.S. State Department warned American citizens on Saturday to "exercise increased caution" in China due to heightened risk of arbitrary law enforcement including detention and a ban from exiting the country. "U.S. citizens may be detained without access to U.S. consular services or information about their alleged crime," the State Department said in a security alert issued to its citizens in China, adding that U.S. citizens may face "prolonged interrogations and extended detention" for reasons related to state security.
"Security personnel may detain and/or deport U.S. citizens for sending private electronic messages critical of the Chinese government," it added, without citing specific examples. The state department also did not say what prompted the security alert.

The security alert comes as bilateral tensions intensify over issues ranging from the COVID-19 pandemic, trade, the new Hong Kong security law and allegations of human rights violations against Uighurs in the Xinjiang region.
Washington and Beijing recently exchanged visa bans against each other's officials, underscoring the deteriorating relations.

The Chinese foreign ministry could not be immediately reached for comment outside of business hours on Saturday. Beijing called on Wednesday a similar warning issued by Australia about the risk of arbitrary detention in China "completely ridiculous and disinformation."
Reuters

antitox

Why would an American citizen go to China right now? That's insane. Oh, yeah. I forgot. All of those American companies who built factories over there. :mad:
I can see why they are releasing this notice. Because you still have die-hards who will go over there anyway even though there is hostility between us. Remember the hikers that thought they could hike in the hills of Iran? Well they were captured and charged with spying. And what's his name that shouldn't have been in North Korea either. Everybody evil wants to get an American for leverage. I just don't go overseas myself.

Shelby

I live in Taiwan and the government recently issued a travel warning for Hong Kong due to the new law that was passed.

In the past, lots of foreigners would go to Hong Kong to do visa runs, but I’m pretty sure that will stop once they start issuing them again. It just isn’t worth the risk.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
:soapbox :rant Why would someone go to a country with which are are at war? :rant :soapbox

:tappingfoot Biological warfare certainly counts as a declaration and prosecution of war, and wuhan virus and how it was deployed certainly counts as biological attack and warfare :tappingfoot

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member
Why would an American citizen go to China right now?...
My husband is a naturalized American citizen that's originally from China. He still has family there. We do travel to China, but won't while this nonsense is going on. I do pray for my family over there. Not all are Christian.

That might be another reason why people travel to China, despite the danger.

Eric Nicholas

I can see why they are releasing this notice. Because you still have die-hards who will go over there anyway even though there is hostility between us. Remember the hikers that thought they could hike in the hills of Iran? Well they were captured and charged with spying. And what's his name that shouldn't have been in North Korea either. Everybody evil wants to get an American for leverage. I just don't go overseas myself.
I have to be honest; this is always extra agitating. You'd see these young, bright-eyed things, going to show the world that the world in question is basically good and tolerant, just like their neighborhood, only for them to get captured, charged, convicted, or worse, killed. It's happened, time and again. Their fort is not the world. Whew... Not today, satan.

Last edited:

Footsteps

It’s embarrassing to realize how naive Americans of all ages are. Disclaimers are a basic, but is this how one may read some day?
Travel Notice T2453:
Severity Level: Maximum
Potential: Death by heat blast or irradiation

“World War Three is ongoing between the United States and China. Exchanges of nuclear missiles continue, with the most powerful blasts occurring at large population centers. Industrial targets are also at risk. China has assured us that they have no military bases or nuclear sites, so areas of that nature are considered safe."