Voting?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes Coffee Shop' started by lightofmylife, Nov 5, 2018.

1. lightofmylife

lightofmylife Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!

I checked out ballot ahead of time to get an idea for tomorrow. My question is on some offices there are no Republicans listed so they have a write in. How do you know who to write in do they give you a list of names? I could use some advice on this, and thanks!

2. Tall Timbers

Tall Timbers Imperfect but forgiven

It's unfortunate if there is only a Democrat running for a specific office. A google search might help you discover if there are any people running for that or those offices who didn't manage to get their name(s) on the ballot.

Sometimes when the incumbent is expected to be a shoo-in, the other party doesn't waste any resources on that particular position, which is unfortunate, I think, especially when there is only a Democrat on the ballot...

3. lightofmylife

Is it legit to put Superman, Popeye, etc? Basically, you are saying you are not voting for a Democrat.

pixelpusher, ShilohRose and Andy C like this.
  4. Tall Timbers

I don't like to leave an office blank... I'll at least X in a write-in and write something. Sometimes there are multiple candidates and when I dislike them both equally I might do the same thing. That makes it harder for an election worker to "doctor" your vote.

5. lightofmylife

So you can make up names like John Smith, Mike Johnson, etc. That is acceptable to where they don't eliminate your voting right?

pixelpusher likes this.
  6. Tall Timbers

You don't lose your right to vote by writing in a name, even an obviously fake name on a ballot.

7. lightofmylife

So if it is a fake name the person's vote is still counted!

Bron and ShilohRose like this.
  8. Tall Timbers

Different states/municipalities probably have different rules for handling it. If you use a common name, there is probably someone in the voting district with that name... but there may or may not be rules about who is eligible to be written in. The important thing is that it doesn't invalidate your entire ballot.

Bron, caligal, mattfivefour and 3 others like this.
  9. athenasius

athenasius Well-Known Member

Praying for you all

10. lightofmylife

We just finished voting, and at the end of darkening in our squares on the ballot we put our ballot through the electronic counter. We saw a sample ballot online so we knew what was on the ballot. The judges that were Democrat I voted no on because I checked them out ahead of time. It tells you your ballot was successful so it took it okay. We even got to sit down to vote, and had breakfast before from McDonalds.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Bron, caligal, mattfivefour and 2 others like this.
  11. ShilohRose

ShilohRose Well-Known Member

We voted this morning; I'll be taking yd to vote this afternoon after her class.

12. mattfivefour

mattfivefour Administrator Staff Member

Me, too. We Canadians are watching this election with baited breath and bended knee.

13. Kerbluey

Kerbluey Well-Known Member

Wow, our voting line was massive. Out the door, down the sidewalk, and into the parking lot. We were in line for 40 minutes, and a friend said it was like that at 7 when they opened.

mattfivefour and anath like this.
  14. anath

anath I Love the Lord

A lot of people but Mike and Susan's votes are cast!

mattfivefour and ShilohRose like this.
  15. Patiently...

Patiently... Well-Known Member

My family voted.

mattfivefour and anath like this.
  16. lightofmylife

On Yahoo I am seeing the results of the Senate R-42 and D-23. House is R-10 and D-4. For the Senate they need 51, and for the House 218.

mattfivefour and ShilohRose like this.
  17. Jonathan

Jonathan Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat. I live in the 2nd Congressional District of VA and the Democrat incumbent for House of Representatives is running unopposed. There is only one circle to fill in, and it is for him. (I am guessing the Republicans figured that even trying to win would be a waste of money in my district). So, in terms of the "write in" line, this is your chance to have fun. Put your dog's name down, "David S. Pumpkins", "Anyone but" etc.

18. Jonathan

But, PLEASE, KEEP PRAYING EVERYONE. There are MILLIONS of people who still haven't voted yet and the polls are still opened. Also, our father is outside of time. Any prayer you pray tonight God heard before you were even created. This election is really important. Pray, and if you haven't voted and your polls are still open, GET OUT THERE!!!

19. ShilohRose

ShilohRose Well-Known Member

It's depressing that it appears that Virginia voted for Tim Kaine. What are people thinking? :hairout I sure didn't vote for him!

20. Jonathan

Your guess is as good as MineShiloh, but it comes down basically to the Northern Virginia (NOVA) vote, for the most part. We used to be a red state, but we aren't even purple anymore, at least in total. We will still send a lot of Republicans to the House, but Kaine was way ahead in the polls. It comes down to NOVA... a huge community of government employees in DC (who live in Virginia) that vote for more government because that is who provides their jobs. At least that is my take.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018