Voluminous Hair Shampoo

ReadyforSupper

Recently, I received samples in the mail for a shampoo that claims to leave your hair thicker and fuller looking.

Those of you who know me well, know that I'm very careful what I put in my hair. I do enough damage to it simply twisting it into a bun or not securing it well enough on the motorcycle...I don't need chemical damage as well.

So, against my better judgment, I decided to not only simple the shampoo, but give it an honest review.

I washed my hair in rain water and rinsed it in apple cider vinegar, to completely strip it of any oil. I used the volumizing shampoo, rinsed with rainwater, used volumizing conditioner, again rinse it with rainwater.

Then, I did something I never, ever, do... I used the volumizing blowout treatment, which is supposed to protect hair up to 450 degrees.

I know what a blow dryer does to hair. It boils the keratin and can cause little explosions that make the hair break off short once its brushed, however, I wanted to give it an honest review, so I went the full set of instructions.

I was absolutely stunned at the result! It really looked like I had twice as much hair as I actually do!

It made it much easier to do very full updos without doing any back brushing, something I won't do, without any texturising spray and without any weird braids that I have to brush out to achieve volume.

My hair simply went up into the proper position and stayed all day! I should add, that I blow dried the roots dry upside down so that it would add lift.

It's Garnier Fructis fortifying shampoo and conditioner "Full and Plush"

It claims to build hair mass and make it visibly fuller and thicker... As far as I can tell, it does what it says it will.

Now, it also claims to make your hair feel very soft. Because my hair is virgin hair it is very soft already. Naturally soft.

Because this shampoo has some sort of additive that plumps up the hair, I would assume by filling in gaps, it does actually leave, what to me, is a slightly coarse feel, but it's not a stiff feel. I can just tell that there's something in my hair because I only use shea butter and coconut oil (or sometimes, jojoba oil infused with Jasmine...do you have any idea how wonderful your hair smells every time you lay down, or the wind blows it in your face and it's conditioned with jasmine?)

(Oh, there another product I've used twice, I completely forgot about it until just now, and that is lotta body setting lotion. That stuff absolutely does what it says it's going to do absolutely without a doubt!)

ReadyforSupper

Thanks Deanna. Can the setting lotion be used without rollers or anything to just apply and fluff up the hair?
Yes. I'll have to check but another sister here tried it and said it was the first time she'd ever had body in her hair that held.
(Sorry for forgetting who!)

It's an amazing product. I bought it on Amazon, but it's gotten such rave reviews that some stores are now carrying it. Its hyper concentrated too.

Last edited:

livin_in_the_Son

I would try it, but you know me Deanna, about how little I pay attention to my hair!! :lol Speaking of, we've almost finished that bottle of mixed hotel samples... no one's hair fell out, and it was free. Can't get better than that...

However, I know that my mom, and a few sisters at my home-church will LOVE to have the results that you posted... so I will gladly pass on the recommendation for the products!! :hug.

Lynn

Longing for Home
Deanna, I was the other one who tried Lottabody and liked it. I found it at Sally's Beauty Supply. Can't remember the price, but do remember thinking it wasn't very expensive.
I have baby fine hair, and even though it's color-treated, it still doesn't have much body. When I use Lottabody, it helps, though I don't use it now as often as I once did.
I'm kind of cranky about adding very much 'product' to my hair that isn't going to get rinsed out. I do recommend it, however.
One thing that has helped my fine hair lately is to 'stop' putting conditioner on it; now, I just use a de-tangler (cheap one from Walmart), and I don't wash quite as often to allow some of the
natural hair oils to remain. Also, I roll my hair every other night in a spiral vertical pattern with sponge rollers. This, too, has added a bit more staying power to my 'do.
In the past, I was my own worst enemy when it came to doing my hair. :rolleyes:

ReadyforSupper

Deanna, I was the other one who tried Lottabody and liked it. I found it at Sally's Beauty Supply. Can't remember the price, but do remember thinking it wasn't very expensive.
I have baby fine hair, and even though it's color-treated, it still doesn't have much body. When I use Lottabody, it helps, though I don't use it now as often as I once did.
I'm kind of cranky about adding very much 'product' to my hair that isn't going to get rinsed out. I do recommend it, however.
One thing that has helped my fine hair lately is to 'stop' putting conditioner on it; now, I just use a de-tangler (cheap one from Walmart), and I don't wash quite as often to allow some of the
natural hair oils to remain. Also, I roll my hair every other night in a spiral vertical pattern with sponge rollers. This, too, has added a bit more staying power to my 'do.
In the past, I was my own worst enemy when it came to doing my hair. :rolleyes:
In the summer, I wash my hair once a week. In the winter, it can go up to six weeks and look like it's simply smooth and full. I don't have a lot of natural oil so I do a lot of brushing. (NATURAL BOAR HAIR BRISTLES ONLY!!!!)

Instead of using any kind of conditioner, I use shea butter (be careful not to use too much on baby fine hair or you'll end up with stringy, greasy looking hair as it can only absorb so much) and I've recently found that unless it's really humid, I don't need the coconut oil and use jojoba instead.

You may find that a good rinse, plain water, will suffice and keep you from having to use chemicals (shampoo).

I use Johnson's baby shampoo (I've tried generics but they don't leave my hair feeling soft but rather, coarse) and a pea sized chunk of shea and three drops of jojoba (you may be able to use just one and achieve the same results).

Below is the brand of the jojoba I use. I get more compliments on the way my hair smells and of course...for shock value, I'll explain that it's been over a month since I've washed my hair lol.

We've fallen into a dangerous trap with all the sales pitches for daily hair washing. This all started back in the 50's when women started cutting their hair and the hair care suppliers started losing business. They started pushing color and perms and the evil lie that women over 40 shouldn't have long hair...

My mother is almost 75 and has THICK dark brown hair that's almost to her knees. She puts it up in an incredibly thick braided bun and people absolutely love to see it!

The longer hair is, believe it or not, the easier it is to put into beautiful updos and to balance it around the head to make it weightless!

I'll post a link for y'all to peruse, TorrinPaige is her YouTube name and she shows how to do what look like extremely complicated (but aren't) hairstyles on YOURSELF without any help.

Here, we used to do the "hair train", with each of us doing the other's hair. I can do my own so I'd stand in back, mom sat in a chair in front of me and my sister would sit on the floor in front of her...everyone got their hair done at the same time lol.

Also, there's a plethora of information on longhaircommunity.com with people of all ethnicities who get together with people who have their hair type and learn from one another.

Long hair is beautiful and a blessing/gift from the Lord. He calls it our. "Glory" and I take that to heart. I lost five feet of hair in '05 in a ClipperVac accident, then had to cut another eighteen inches off when my braid got wrapped around my sissy bar while I was going about 85 on the interstate...so I've got the shortest hair I've had in years, about 3.5 feet but I'll not cut it ever again.

The longer it is, the more I can do with it and the more balanced it becomes!

Torrin (tutorial for thick or shorter hair...don't be put off by the length of her hair, it's actually almost 3 feet shorter than mine was before "the tragedy"). She's got hundreds of tutorials.

(I buy this from either Chamberlain's or Amazon. Just copy and paste this into the Amazon search bar and it'll come up.)

AURA CACIA Precious Essentials Oil Jasmine Absolute w/Jojoba
(Seller, NutritionDepot. Always fresh. Use this seller only. I've never had a rancid bottle from them)

Lynn

Longing for Home
It's a nice surprise to see you adding to this thread, Deanna, as I rather enjoyed reading about ideas for hair care/styling. Like you, I'm not a fan of 'short' hair that has become the mainstay for middle age women for so many years now. Every day, I see beautiful women who are in their 50's, 60's, and some, past 70, who insist on clipping their hair extremely short. But each of us gets to decide how to wear our own hair, and they certainly have that right. For me though, I'm not one to follow the herd and typically do my own thing.
I have used jojoba oil, ordered it from Amazon. It is wonderful! Also, coconut, olive, and argan, oils. I buy the organic version/reputable brands, and have enjoyed them.

MarleneF

I can't use any kind of volumizing shampoo because my skin is so sensitive. I have allergies to every shampoo, including organic ones, except Pureology. I was trying a shampoo to encourage my hair to grow back, and not only was my scalp itchy, but my ears and face too! No matter how hard I tried to get the stuff off my skin after I had washed my hiar.

I'm glad you found something that works well for you. I continue with my thin, limp gray hair which is failing out an an alarming rate from the RA meds I take (They are all cancer drugs!)

A wig is starting to look like an option, provided I don't have an allergic reaction to it!

ReadyforSupper

I can't use any kind of volumizing shampoo because my skin is so sensitive. I have allergies to every shampoo, including organic ones, except Pureology. I was trying a shampoo to encourage my hair to grow back, and not only was my scalp itchy, but my ears and face too! No matter how hard I tried to get the stuff off my skin after I had washed my hiar.

I'm glad you found something that works well for you. I continue with my thin, limp gray hair which is failing out an an alarming rate from the RA meds I take (They are all cancer drugs!)

A wig is starting to look like an option, provided I don't have an allergic reaction to it!
I'd imagine you'll be better off with a human hair wig but be careful with the wig cap as you could be allergic to synthetics.

Wigs don't look like wigs any more and it'd be nice to change your hairstyle every day by pulling it on lol!

You could even get a hyper long one and do beautiful updos without straining your arms!

BlueRegard

Wow, I have the opposite problem. My hair just gets thicker and thicker. I would rather use a good volumizing shampoo than have to attack my hair with a flat iron every day (well, okay, not every day. I hate doing it). The grass is always greener, right?

ReadyforSupper

Wow, I have the opposite problem. My hair just gets thicker and thicker. I would rather use a good volumizing shampoo than have to attack my hair with a flat iron every day (well, okay, not every day. I hate doing it). The grass is always greener, right?
Lili has that problem. She's Hawaiian.

She's young enough (24) that I can do double Dutch braids and pin those up and she's good for a week. Then I brush it out and braid it right back up.

Kem

Citizen
It's a nice surprise to see you adding to this thread, Deanna, as I rather enjoyed reading about ideas for hair care/styling. Like you, I'm not a fan of 'short' hair that has become the mainstay for middle age women for so many years now. Every day, I see beautiful women who are in their 50's, 60's, and some, past 70, who insist on clipping their hair extremely short. But each of us gets to decide how to wear our own hair, and they certainly have that right. For me though, I'm not one to follow the herd and typically do my own thing.
I have used jojoba oil, ordered it from Amazon. It is wonderful! Also, coconut, olive, and argan, oils. I buy the organic version/reputable brands, and have enjoyed them.
I would love to have long hair but anything I might do with it rather than letting it just hang, gives me a serious migraine so short is the way I must go. Also dh likes my hair short and while he doesn't forbid me to grow it long, he does make it known that he wants it short. On top of all that my hair is very thick and takes forever to dry even with a blow dryer. In the north one cannot go out with damp or wet hair without freezing in the winter.

maranatha14

I have not used "sudsing" shampoo on my hair for 11 years.

I moved to Colorado in 2007, to a much higher and drier elevation. My hair which was just below shoulder length at the time got so dry it looked like straw. The only thing I could do was put it in a bun. One night I saw one of those infomercials for "WEN" shampoo. It is a non lathering conditioning shampoo. I thought it couldn't hurt, so I gave it a try.

After only 1 washing, my hair was 80% better. It leaves my hair soft and shiny, even during our very dry Winters. The more I used it, the more I noticed I didn't need to wash my hair so often. I now wash twice a week; sometimes only once a week if I wear it up. There is NO lather whatsoever; more like a cream conditioner you leave in for 5 minutes and rinse out.

Since 2007, it is the only thing I have used. Even when I go to get my hair cut, I take it with me for the salon to use on my hair. The lavender formula is my favorite; I buy it by the gallon, which lasts about a year. I am older now, but.... my hair has never been so strong and shiny, and it is almost to my waist. This stuff really works for me.

(As for long or short hair, Kem is right; everyone is different. My grandmother passed away at 86, and her hair reached her knees. She was a farmer's wife, and during her lifetime, she had never colored it, and rarely cut it. She always braided it and wore it up wrapped around her head. It was just lovely, and most people had no idea how long it was. But, my grandfather just loved it.)