Virginia Senate blocks another Northam-backed gun bill

antitox

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/virginia-senate-blocks-another-gun-bill

Virginia lawmakers on Monday rejected a gun control bill proposed by Democratic Gov. Ralph Northam, as the state continues to become the battleground in the nation's gun debate.

The Senate Judiciary Committee voted against Northam's bill that would make it a felony to "recklessly leave a loaded, unsecured firearm” in a way that endangers a minor.

“This bill will keep children safe from loaded, unsecured firearms. Like Gov. Northam’s other commonsense gun safety measures, it is something that everyone -- including responsible gun owners -- should support,” said Northam’s spokeswoman, Alena Yarmosky.

The bill is one of eight the Northam has proposed for adoption, drawing the ire of gun-rights activists nationwide.

Two Democrats -- state Sens. Creigh Deeds and Chap Petersen -- joined withRepublicans to defeat the measure. They cited concerns that law-abiding gun owners would be unfairly punished.

Another measure that would ban so-called assault weapons like AR-15 rifles is also in danger of falling short. Some of Northam's gun control measures have passed in the state's Democratic-controlled General Assembly and lawmakers will hash out the differences between both chambers in the coming weeks.

Some of the bills include limiting handgun purchases to once a month; universal background checks on gun purchases; and a red flag bill that would allow authorities to temporarily take guns away from anyone deemed to be dangerous to themselves or others.

Guns have been at the forefront of Virginia politics following a mass shooting in Virginia Beach last year that ended with a dozen people dead.

Thousands of gun-rights activists gathered in the state capital of Richmond last month to protest a push by Democrats to enact tough gun control measures. The gathering prompted Northam to declare a state of emergency days before amid fears of potential violence.

The rally went without incident.

vbf

I'm completely confident that every criminal in the Commonwealth of Virginia will obey all of these new and helpful laws to protect others from the evil 2A gun nuts.

I saw a bumper sticker yesterday with a Virginia State seal that simply said "my governor is an idiot".

Priceless!!

depserv

The liberal cult has been trying to disarm the American militia for a long time, and they have imposed serious and illegal infringements, especially in some areas. This they do because the liberal cult is absolutely dedicated to having absolute power over us. As their war machine nears completion, their efforts will increase.

They really only need to get one of their current gun control schemes passed: the red flag scheme. A law saying that government can disarm anyone government thinks might be dangerous will give them the power to disarm the only ones they need to disarm. Those a tyrant does not see as a threat do not need to be disarmed.

They might have produced this cornucopia of gun control schemes so they can just settle for that one and pretend to have compromised and been reasonable and all that.

Jonathan

The biggest one will be voted on tomorrow (Friday). It is essentially the old nation-wide assault rifle ban (a deliberate misnomer) but far worse. If it passes, I will be an automatic felon after July 1st in the state of Virginia. Pray that it doesn't pass, please!

fl2007rn

The biggest one will be voted on tomorrow (Friday). It is essentially the old nation-wide assault rifle ban (a deliberate misnomer) but far worse. If it passes, I will be an automatic felon after July 1st in the state of Virginia. Pray that it doesn't pass, please!
I always get frustrated when I hear "assault rifle ban" because we already have that ban in the USA. An assault rifle is one that can be operated in "automatic" mode, meaning you pull the trigger once and 5 or 6 bullets gets fired in rapid succession instead of one bullet at a time. The AR-15 stands for ArmaLite Rifle, not Assault Rifle!

antitox

I always get frustrated when I hear "assault rifle ban" because we already have that ban in the USA. An assault rifle is one that can be operated in "automatic" mode, meaning you pull the trigger once and 5 or 6 bullets gets fired in rapid succession instead of one bullet at a time. The AR-15 stands for ArmaLite Rifle, not Assault Rifle!
True. The left, however, loves to confuse the two in their reports and campaigns. That way they can push to rid us of AR rifles.

RobinMc

I think this gun thing will get more people out to vote than anything you could say to them. People who have previously sit on the couch thinking my vote doesn't matter, let other people do it, needs to know, there is value in numbers.

depserv

Assault weapon is a deceptive slogan used by liars to manipulate fools. There is no such category of firearm. There is such a thing as an assault rifle, and the lie in that term being used in gun control propaganda has already been given on this thread.

Based on common usage by those who use the slogan, what assault weapon refers to is 20th Century arms, because laws against so-called assault weapons outlaw certain guns because they are arms (weapons in other words), and only arms that are characteristic of 20th Century designs; pre-20th Century arms remain legal; these include bolt and lever action, single shot, double barrel, and revolvers.

What the sporting use concept says is that there is some kind of vague right or privilege or something to have guns, but only if the gun’s purpose is trivial, since sport by definition is something done just for fun. So there is some privilege to have dangerous toys, but there is no right to have the means to defend yourself, your family, your community, and your country (unless you work for the government). This is an absurd concept, but it is widely used in the selling of these laws.

The sporting purpose lie can be stated succinctly like this: there is a right of the people to keep and bear arms, but only as long as what the people keep and bear are not arms. The formula for that argument is A only if not A. This is a logical impossibility; it might be the stupidest argument ever presented in human history (and I say this without underestimating the extreme stupidity of much of its competition). Its widespread acceptance among liberals, literally for decades, shows the power of liberal propaganda machines to herd cattle with absurd deceptions.

But to accomplish their goal the liberal cult really only needs to get one of their current gun control schemes passed: the red flag scheme. A law saying that government can disarm anyone government thinks might be dangerous will give them the power to disarm the only ones they need to disarm. Those a tyrant does not see as a threat do not need to be disarmed, even of so-called assault weapons. Armed cattle are simply not a threat to a tyrant, when that tyrant controls the media that herds the cattle.

Jonathan

@Jonathan do you have an update?
The altered the language a bit but it still passed through committee. The probably is, AH, is that there are a lot of different sources that are giving differing information. Long story short, some concessions were made, but it is still a very, very bad bill. Also, it still needs to be voted on by the Senate (it passed through committee only). One guy on youtube said it would only take one outlying democrat to vote against it for it to fail (assuming all Republicans vote against it also), but that isn't reassuring.

Then, comes court challenges, of course. Thanks for your interest. I'll try to update you as I find more information. Either way, it isn't good.

Jonathan

Thank You!
:hug
Almost Heaven and everyone else interested, the most detailed and clear explanation to what has happened and what we have to look forward to is a video by Phillip Van Cleave, the president of the Virginia Citizen's Defense League. Unfortunately, it is of poor resolution and has some ongoing technical audio problems. But if you don't mind a 20 minute video (cut to 6 minutes and go forward if you need to), then search on youtube "
HB 961 discussion after vote in House committee - Philip Van Cleave