Virginia Christian group denied service at restaurant

DWB

https://www.foxnews.com/us/virginia...aurant-safety-concerns-amazingly-hypocritical

The persecution continues. What a sad day in America when Christians are denied service at a restaurant due to staff members requests. Hopefully our market-based economy will react by Americans choosing to eat at other restaurants that don't discriminate, only time will tell. Basically, some of the servers found out the group was Christian based and advocated "for policies based on Biblical principles that enable families to flourish at the state and local level", prompting the wait staff to refuse to serve the group. "Many of our staff are women and/or members of the LGBTQ+ community. All of our staff are people with rights who deserve dignity and a safe work environment. We respect our staff's established rights as humans and strive to create a work environment where they can do their jobs with dignity, comfort and safety."

I struggle to understand how one business can be sued for not providing goods and services to the gay community, yet a gay friendly business can refuse service to non-gay customers.

To be honest, if I had a reservation at an establishment where I thought I wasn't welcome, the last thing I would do would be to go and eat there anyway. I wouldn't trust the quality of the food.

One of the first things you learn in any business is that your income will be decided on how well you treat your customers. The market will determine the future of this restaurant. I would point out to the owners that the gay community is small, representing a very small percentage of the overall population, and to openly state that Christians are not welcome may not be a long-term successful plan. Remember the gay boycott of Chick-Fil-A, they were so busy they ran out of chicken.

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
I cant grasp how this LBG+ group has so much power. They can't make up a huge % of Americans.
I have heard there are gay bars in my town. And my town ain't that big. I do see more people dressing the part of the feminine male and masculine female. I don't like it.

JSTyler

I support the restaurants position to freely serve and refuse service to whomever they choose. I would do the very same thing and assume that there would/could be financial and legal consequences.

I say that understanding that there is no true equity in our society and the same consideration isn't given to all people.

I also hope that their exercise of free speech and freedom in general is met with a measured, peaceful response. My own personal response is that I would eat three day old, vulture picked roadkill before spending any money in that establishment.

NewWine2020

https://www.foxnews.com/us/virginia...aurant-safety-concerns-amazingly-hypocritical

The persecution continues. What a sad day in America when Christians are denied service at a restaurant due to staff members requests. Hopefully our market-based economy will react by Americans choosing to eat at other restaurants that don't discriminate, only time will tell. Basically, some of the servers found out the group was Christian based and advocated "for policies based on Biblical principles that enable families to flourish at the state and local level", prompting the wait staff to refuse to serve the group. "Many of our staff are women and/or members of the LGBTQ+ community. All of our staff are people with rights who deserve dignity and a safe work environment. We respect our staff's established rights as humans and strive to create a work environment where they can do their jobs with dignity, comfort and safety."

I struggle to understand how one business can be sued for not providing goods and services to the gay community, yet a gay friendly business can refuse service to non-gay customers.

To be honest, if I had a reservation at an establishment where I thought I wasn't welcome, the last thing I would do would be to go and eat there anyway. I wouldn't trust the quality of the food.

One of the first things you learn in any business is that your income will be decided on how well you treat your customers. The market will determine the future of this restaurant. I would point out to the owners that the gay community is small, representing a very small percentage of the overall population, and to openly state that Christians are not welcome may not be a long-term successful plan. Remember the gay boycott of Chick-Fil-A, they were so busy they ran out of chicken.

This right here. I would be very wary of forcing myself on businesses that had made it clear someone w/ my beliefs was viewed in a hostile manner. To take it a step further, I don't really think the owner was 100% out of line. Private businesses SHOULD be able to refuse to service to anyone (if they are wiling to suffer the economic impact).

While the TIMING was tacky and obviously done to inflict the maximum inconvenience, is this really any different than Christian business's in the bakery or wedding industry not wanting to work w/ an LGBT couple to make them a cake or handle their wedding?

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
If I was refused service at a restaurant for any reason, I'd be happy to take my business elsewhere without making a scene. There used to be signs saying that owners had the right to refuse service to anyone, also some signs that would say "no shoes, no shirt, no service".

cheeky200386

This right here. I would be very wary of forcing myself on businesses that had made it clear someone w/ my beliefs was viewed in a hostile manner. To take it a step further, I don't really think the owner was 100% out of line. Private businesses SHOULD be able to refuse to service to anyone (if they are wiling to suffer the economic impact).

While the TIMING was tacky and obviously done to inflict the maximum inconvenience, is this really any different than Christian business's in the bakery or wedding industry not wanting to work w/ an LGBT couple to make them a cake or handle their wedding?
The difference is that the baker was asked to make a wedding cake and refused but he was still willing to sell them anything else they wanted. In this case the server would not serve them at all.

NewWine2020

If I was refused service at a restaurant for any reason, I'd be happy to take my business elsewhere without making a scene. There used to be signs saying that owners had the right to refuse service to anyone, also some signs that would say "no shoes, no shirt, no service".

I've done food delivery for Door Dash and Grub Hub as a very lucrative side hustle and I've seen MANY customers over the last year that honestly should have been booted from the fast food joint, not on the basis of their appearance/any demographic feature but on the blatantly demeaning and rude way they treat the employees.

Businesses being able to refuse service should be able to be a thing again without proprietors having to defend themselves.

JSTyler

In my dirt-bag-biker days, I would have refused me service based on my appearance alone. I didn't stink 'cuz I've always been a stickler about hygiene and averse to BO, but I certainly looked like a dirty vagabond and bad times on two feet.

Also, I understood why and commiserated with any establishment that chose to deny service to my mother after any first encounter. She was one of the original 'karens' back in the 40's/50's thru her death. As a young lad I hated going anywhere with her because she was nasty and mean even when she got exactly what she wanted. It was never a question about, 'if' but always 'when' she was triggered. In fact the worst came out of her when she got what she wanted. I always assumed she was angry that she had nothing to go all DEFCON 5 about. Her social meter went from 0 to 100 with no gradation in-between. We were banned from almost everywhere in the town I grew sideways in and that included several churches.

Heh! One time... There was a Billy Graham crusade at the old Memorial Stadium in Baltimore back in the 60's/70's and my 'rents were prayer volunteers and ushers. Billy was really sweet and nice as I remember but I also seem to remember that we were asked to leave due to her ummm...shortcomings in the self control department (this could be the foggy conflation of more than one memory) but I definitely remember the hours and hours drive home from the Saturday portion of that event as her fury painted the inside of the Valiant wagon and the karen-storm raged on and on.

She was a karen before it was a thing but I do know this, she wasn't denied service when she died...she had her weaknesses but she certainly did love the Lord and had definite faith in Him alone. I think it was in one of her rages at me that she led me to the Lord. I have the loving thought to hold on to. I always wonder if it was fear that hell might be worse than living with her that informed my decision.

JSTyler

Another interesting aspect is how we Christians can corporately bring troubles down upon ourselves. My understanding, not first-hand mind you, is that Sundays are the worst days to be a server in a restaurant, particularity at lunchtime. I don't know if the reputation of rudeness, bad tips and general unpleasant behavior is deserved or only reserved to Christians and whether it's truly deserved, but it exits and is fairly well known.

We can't afford to buy food out any longer and only rarely could in that past. Sundays were never a day we felt any need to patronize restaurants. We've always preferred quiet, after Church afternoons at the crib.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Another interesting aspect is how we Christians can corporately bring troubles down upon ourselves. My understanding, not first-hand mind you, is that Sundays are the worst days to be a server in a restaurant, particularity at lunchtime. I don't know if the reputation of rudeness, bad tips and general unpleasant behavior is deserved or only reserved to Christians and whether it's truly deserved, but it exits and is fairly well known.

I worked in restaurants for a few years when I was a young man. Late Sunday mornings and through lunch was crazy busy. Waiters/waitresses never had a minute to catch a breath and we cooks would stack up ready to serve plates faster than the servers could come fetch them. It was good business though and I do believe there were no complaints about the tips collected on Sundays.

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
Sundays are the worst days to be a server in a restaurant, particularity at lunchtime
This was true in the 80s...the tips were pretty bad sometimes.

Our former pastor would sometimes announce on Sunday mornings, as the service was closing .....don't go out of here and engage in road rage trying to beat the crowd to your favorite buffet. Also, give the waitress a good tip, even if you have to wait a few minutes for your tea glass to be refilled.

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
Not that all do this, but Christians will suffer much and if they are led by the Spirit will leave retribution at the feet of Christ.

Unbelievers not only hate Christ but will do as much damage to Christians as possible. That is why you see Christian businesses sued, and LGBTs not sued.

Its our new life being exhibited with forgiveness and compassion fr the lost.

John 15:17-19 HCSB
17 This is what I command you: Love one another.

18 “If the world hates you, understand that it hated Me before it hated you. 19 If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own. However, because you are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of it, the world hates you.

Matthew 5:43-45
43 “You have heard that it was said, Love your neighbor and hate your enemy. 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. For He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

Back