VETO! Senate Votes to Overturn Emergency Border Declaration, Trump Vows to Veto

Discussion in 'Breaking News & World Events' started by Kaatje, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Kaatje

Kaatje Well-Known Member

Senate Republicans joined Democrats Thursday to take a stand against President Trump's national emergency declaration on the southern border. The Senate voted 59-41 to reject Trump's declaration.

The move follows an unsuccessful compromise that would have affected presidential power in future administrations. After last minute dealmaking cratered between senators and the White House, the president is preparing to override this bipartisan rebuke.

"I'll veto it. I'll do a veto," Trump promised even before the Senate vote, dismissing its effect. "It doesn't matter."

Trump remained on message, declaring on Twitter: "A vote for today's resolution by Republican Senators is a vote for Nancy Pelosi, Crime, and the Open Border Democrats!"

Not all Republicans share that view. Sen. Mitt Romney (R-UT) said, "For me this is a constitutional question. This is not about the president or border security."

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) is set to send the measure against the president to his desk, even without the necessary votes to overturn a sure veto. Pelosi described Trump's border order as an "unconstitutional measure that does violence on the Constitution."

As the battle over whether it's an emergency rages on, the White House released a video from Customs and Border Patrol showing 247 illegal immigrants crossing into the United States at the beginning of the year.

Adding to those optics, the White House sent Vice President Mike Pence to see US Customs and Border Protection in action this week.

"With the crisis we face on our southern border we are particularly grateful for Customs and Border Protection," Pence said.

Joining Pence, Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen released new numbers that border arrests spiked to 75,000 last month alone. That's up 80 percent over last February.

Pence said, "Very dangerous work at our southern border at a time when we are seeing an unprecedented influx of people being driven by human traffickers, drug cartels."

The president's expected veto is sure to spark a new battle in the country's court system. For now though, the president is prepared to take any embarrassment that comes from overturning a bipartisan rebuke in order to make good on a long-promised wall

http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/politic...ergency-border-declaration-trump-vows-to-veto

2. DanLMP

DanLMP Well-Known Member

What the knuckleheads in the House and the Senate don't understand or admit is that if we don't get our borders, especially our southern border, under control we won't have a Constitution.

This crisis regarding our borders is a crisis about the viability of the existence of the USA.

We are being attacked. If Hillary was elected this would not be happening because it would not need to happen. Hillary would be destroying our country from within.

Because Trump won, the other side, Satan and his buddies with financing from Soros, have pulled out all the stops to tear the US apart.

They tore the EU apart with Muslim immigration. When Trump put the kibosh on Muslim immigration a different source of mass immigration was and is being used against the US.

Illegal immigration is being used as a weapon to destroy, subvert and reduce the US.

3. Cloud Watcher

Cloud Watcher Well-Known Member

Wish we could overturn their elections.

4. Andy C

Andy C Well-Known Member

No surprises here. I have mixed feelings on this whole issue. The President had 2 years in complete control of the House and Senate, yet never once was a bill passed to fund the border wall. But, he will veto so there will be a big battle in the courts to see if this a legal use of declaring a National emergency for funding. I believe there should be a wall just as the President wants, but Im not convinced this is the way to do it. But, what do I know? I live on dry ground and no where near the swamp.

5. DanLMP

DanLMP Well-Known Member

Thanks to his buddy Paul Ryan.
    I don't like it either but in my estimation, which is not well educated in politics, the President has a limited ability to get a wall built if Congress doesn't approve the funds.

It would have been better if the previous Congress could have got the job done but Paul Ryan and others sold the President a promise they didn't (or intend to?) keep.

A President generally has his hands tied behind his back to do things like this because Congress controls the purse.

The only power he has is to shut down the Government and hope the people will raise their voice to Congress.

Or he can declare a national emergency (or create an Executive Order like Obama).

Is this a National Emergency? Yes. Does the President need to declare a National Emergency to fix the problem? We shall see.

6. lightofmylife

lightofmylife Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!

The Democrats gave our President a hard time on the travel ban as well. Guess what it went to the Supreme Court, and Trump did get the travel ban.

7. Kem

Kem Citizen

that is it in a nutshell!

8. vbf

vbf Well-Known Member

I blame the vast majority on Paul Ryan. Despite having control of the House and Senate, Ryan, as SOTH, impeded Trump at nearly every turn. And now Trump is staring at the wicked face of Nutty Nan. The RINO's, typified by Ryan, are as big a problem as the dems. I'm not sure declaring a national emergency is the way to do it either because it sets a very dangerous precedent. That said, the machinations of politics being what they are, the framework is far from perfect and there aren't many options when practically the whole of the House and Senate hates your guts and looking for more ways than the clintons can extort money to get you out of office. It's an ugly business and not for the faint of heart. It is true that politics is a blood sport.

Trump is boxed in and has no choice. He sees American's getting raped, maimed, and murdered every day and desperately wants to stop it and nearly the whole of DC is against him. And then there's the drugs. Trump loves America and Americans and will find a way to build that wall to stop the flow of illegal aliens and all of their crime, drugs, disease, and demands for hand outs and voting privileges when they shouldn't be here to begin with.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  9. Cloud Watcher

Cloud Watcher Well-Known Member

It is crazy how much these politicians on both sides of the aisle hate Trump, and, since the day he won the election, have done all they can to obstruct, attack, and undermine him. And it isn't just the ones in DC. The various governors and state attorney general's keep filing lawsuits against him. Unfortunately, there are too many liberal judges ruling against him. Every single day, Trump must feel like he is in the midst of swarms of angry hornets, bees, and wasps.
    He keeps plugging along, trying to repair messes made by previous administrations. The people attacking him never seem to realize they are attacking us too, or, if they do, they don't care. It's all about their agenda, and it doesn't matter who they hurt. It is sickening how much they are dragging this nation into the gutter.

Lord, please help our president. Grant him wisdom, grace, and endurance to continue with the work set before him. Come quickly!

10. JSTyler

JSTyler Well-Known Member

I agree with every word of both posts.

The old two party system is in it's death throws. We are seeing the the coming-into-its-own of the Uni-party. An old pastor I knew said just after the '16 election that, "It seems like we're getting one last season of political grace." I think that was said with wisdom and understanding.

The funny thing is, it's those who openly hate and openly oppose POTUS Trump that has reinforced my support and respect for him. He has attracted the right enemies, if you get my drift.

SonSeeker, sherryh, DanLMP and 3 others like this.
  11. chaser

chaser Well-Known Member

It is clear someone wants the border(s) open, what if we knew exactly who's pockets were getting lined to keep them open. Maybe one day we will find out and it will be because of a man in office like Trump.
    "There have been 7,542 assaults against agents since 2006, and 30 agents have died in the line of duty since 2003." this quote is from a news article from 2016, and I am guessing not too many citizens have read it or know how bad the border(s) are.
    Story here:
    https://www.cnsnews.com/news/articl...-patrol-agents-among-most-assaulted-7542-2006

SonSeeker, Kem, lightofmylife and 3 others like this.
  12. JSTyler

Link that in with the horrible Fast and Furious Holder/Obama fiasco and you see clear patterns form.

13. DWB

DWB Well-Known Member

If the RINO's have a problem with the Trump declaring a National Emergency then they should strip the President of this power. Congress gave the President this power back in the 1970's.

14. TrustinHim

TrustinHim Active Member

And therefore any President could use executive orders for some plausible national emergency, so Trump using it doesn't make it more likely that a leftist President would use it for a gun grab or suppression of conservative news/ websites etc. As it was available since 1970.

SonSeeker, Tall Timbers, Kem and 2 others like this.
  15. katt

katt New Member

Have you not heard? The Dems care nothing for the constitution.

16. daygo

daygo Well-Known Member

True, same as britain they just want their own agenda.

17. JSTyler

x2

Tall Timbers and cchomeschoolmom like this.
  18. Kem

Kem Citizen

And in fact the only interest they have in it is to destroy it.

JSTyler, SonSeeker, DanLMP and 3 others like this.
  19. sherryh

sherryh Well-Known Member

wonder what would happen if they took this to the american people and let us vote on the wall and the money to fund it, after all it's our money.

20. Everlasting Life

Everlasting Life Through Faith in Jesus

I think that go fund me for the wall revealed exactly where the American people stood on this issue.

If he quacks like a duck, walks like a duck......well, you know, I think he might just be a duck!