Very funny Scotty! Now beam down my clothes

Popcornfish

:ufocow

Hello sisters and brothers,
I'm so glad to be in fellowship with you all. I'm on a quest I guess. I was raised in the church from the time I was three. Even attended a Christian school for a couple of years until the family realized it was more a sadistic cult than anything to do with Christ.
Had a crisis of faith after that. Searched around for a while and dabbled here and there in other paths. Then I started going to Christian forums when I got my first computer. First it was to lurk, then to Troll by challenging the faithful to defend what I'd taken as gospel truth as a child for years until that crisis. Then it became a real love for the Bible.

Now, a different crisis is occurring in my life and I've started to wonder about the Bible. All I've ever wanted was the truth. Which as an only child was something I thought my parents could be trusted to bestow without question. Boy did I have a wake up call much later.
Anyway, my questions are many but my faith in God is strong. I wonder how we know what we have as the Bible is really all that God has to say to us? And how can we trust that the people that compiled the Bible over centuries and translated from the autographs didn't have an agenda? And what about all those scrolls an other written works that have been discovered since?
Is it better to work with one's own relationship with God? Using the Bible as a guide? Or do we have to ascribe strictly to the scriptures in order to "get it right"?

But I ramble.
Do forgive me.
It is something that has been on my mind for a bit now.

Thank you if you stopped in to read me.
May God bless you.

Andy C

Welcome to the forum.

Can the infallibility of the Bible be proven?"

Answer:
The word infallible refers to being incapable of error or wrong. When people speak of the Bible as infallible, they claim it is completely trustworthy, fully true, and without the ability to teach any error. Claims of the Bible’s infallibility have always been part of Christian belief, but can such claims be proved?

First, the Bible’s infallibility is taught in the Bible itself. Second Peter 1:19 states, “We also have the prophetic message as something completely reliable.” Second Timothy 3:16–17 adds, “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” If Scripture is “God-breathed,” it is the product of the perfect God and can therefore only be true.

Second, outside of the Bible’s own claims of infallibility, we can use inductive reasoning to provide evidence of the Bible’s accuracy. Evidence is gleaned from a study of the ancient manuscripts, archaeology, extra-biblical history, and other fields of study. Unlike some religious literature, the Bible has a verifiable historical basis—the cities, geography, nations, people, and other facts of the Bible are set within literal time and history. The stories of the Bible are not religious fables but accounts of God’s works throughout human history.

Of special importance in the matter of biblical infallibility is the consistent transmission of the biblical manuscripts. Technically speaking, the inspiration of the Bible is limited to the original autographs. However, a study of the history of the Bible’s manuscripts (called textual criticism) reveals an extremely high degree of accuracy in the copying and preservation of the sacred text.

The Dead Sea Scrolls include approximately 200 copies of Old Testament books dating from 2,000 years ago. These manuscripts prove the amazing consistency with which the Hebrew text was copied and its accuracy safeguarded through the centuries.

For the New Testament, more than 5,000 manuscripts and manuscript fragments exist in the original Greek text. The earliest fragments are only one generation removed from the original copies. Today’s scholars note that every original word of the New Testament text is either already in the text or in one of the alternative readings in the footnotes. The New Testament has more early copies to support its accuracy than any other ancient writing.

There are both internal and external evidences of the Bible’s infallibility. The text itself can be shown to be extremely accurate, and the subject matter can be supported through a variety of fields of study. The external evidence supports the internal claim that the Bible is unlike any other book in history. The Bible is accurate, authoritative, and infallible. Its teachings are from God Himself and worthy of our devotion (Psalm 1:1–3).

https://www.gotquestions.org/prove-infallibility-Bible.html

Andy C

What is the doctrine of the sufficiency of Scripture? What does it mean that the Bible is sufficient?"

Answer:
The doctrine of the sufficiency of Scripture is a fundamental tenet of the Christian faith. To say the Scriptures are sufficient means that the Bible is all we need to equip us for a life of faith and service. It provides a clear demonstration of God’s intention to restore the broken relationship between Himself and humanity through His Son, Jesus Christ, our Savior through the gift of faith. No other writings are necessary for this good news to be understood, nor are any other writings required to equip us for a life of faith.

When discussing Scripture, Christians are referring to both Old and New Testaments. The apostle Paul declared that the holy Scriptures “are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work” (2 Timothy 3:15–17). If Scripture is “God-breathed,” then it is not man-breathed, and, although it was penned by men, those “men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit” (2 Peter 1:21). No man-made writing is sufficient to equip us for every good work; only the Word of God can do that. Furthermore, if the Scriptures are sufficient to thoroughly equip us, then nothing more is needed.

Colossians 2 deals with the dangers a church faces when the sufficiency of Scripture is challenged and merged with non-biblical writings, full of ungodly theology and concepts. Paul warned the church at Colosse: “See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ” (Colossians 2:8). Jude says it even more specifically when he writes, “Although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints” (Jude 1:3). Notice the phrase “once and for all.” This makes it clear that no other writings, no matter how godly the pastor, theologian, or denominational church they may come from, are to be seen as equal to or completing the Word of God. The Bible is all that is necessary for the believer to understand the character of God, the nature of man, and the doctrines of sin, heaven, hell, and salvation through Jesus Christ. Paul’s words to the Galatians indicate the seriousness of delivering a message outside the Bible: “If we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned!” (Galatians 1:8).

Perhaps the strongest verses on the issue of the sufficiency of the Bible come from the book of Psalms. In Psalm 19:7–14, David rejoices in God’s Word, declaring it to be perfect, trustworthy, right, radiant, enlightening, sure and altogether righteous.

The sufficiency of Scripture is under attack today, and, sadly, that attack comes far too often in our own churches. Management techniques, worldly methods of drawing crowds, entertainment, extra-biblical revelations, mysticism, and some forms of psychological counseling all declare that the Bible and its precepts are not adequate for the Christian life. But Jesus said, “My sheep hear my voice and I know them and they follow me” (John 10:27). His voice is all we need to hear and the Scriptures are His voice, completely and utterly sufficient.

https://www.gotquestions.org/sufficiency-of-Scripture.html

Kaatje

Hello Popcornfish, be very welcome on the Forum and within the Fellowship.

I started going to Christian forums when I got my first computer. First it was to lurk, then to Troll by challenging the faithful to defend what I'd taken as gospel truth as a child for years until that crisis. Then it became a real love for the Bible.
I was so happy reading this remark! I used to get so weary from the many trolls we had lately.
But seeing that as a result of trolling a real love for Scriptures arose in you, makes it worth all the while.

I wonder how we know what we have as the Bible is really all that God has to say to us? And how can we trust that the people that compiled the Bible over centuries and translated from the autographs didn't have an agenda? And what about all those scrolls an other written works that have been discovered since?
Start with believing that God is the Creator of all, and that the Holy Spirit inspired the Bible-book writers.
Take your time, reading the Scripture and pray for wisdom and discernment, and all the rest will follow.

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. (2 Tim. 3:16,17)

TeeTee

Welcome Popcornfish. I just joined the RF. I like to read discussions presented. I try to keep it simple. Sinful man, needs Savior Jesus Christ. Sins forgiven. Confession from mouth that He is Lord and Saviour. Read bible and follow Him. And the Great commission, to tell others about need for Christ.