- Using Your Gift –

Abed_nego2

1 Timothy 4:14, "Do not neglect the gift that is in you"
1 Peter 4:10, “As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God”

According to Unger’s Bible Dictionary, a spiritual gift is a phrase to denote the endowments bestowed by the Holy Spirit in the Church. A spiritual gift means any extraordinary ability, which operated for the furtherance of the welfare of the body of Christ, and which was itself produced by the grace of God, through the power of the Holy Spirit. God’s Word explicitly states, if you are born again, you have at least one spiritual gift. Some of the spiritual gifts are very easy to notice within the church, such as Pastors and teachers. However, some of the other spiritual gifts are not so clearly noticeable.

Each of the gift passages (Romans 12:6-8; 1 Peter 4:9-11; 1 Corinthians 12:7-10; 1 Corinthians 12:28-30), teach the general purpose of gifts are to “edify” or “build-up” the Body of Christ. In some way, each gift listed in these passages contributed to the maturing of the New Testament Church. In some cases, the gift might contribute to the building of the body by bringing lost people to trust the Savior. Other gifts might aid the spiritual growth of new believers or meet the physical needs of a brother or sister, in the Lord. We have seen the leadership role of the pastoral gift in teaching the church and overseeing the ministries that lead to maturity. Now let us look at some of the other spiritual gifts God has so graciously given to individual believers in Christ, such as the Gift of:

(1) Administration, which enables a believer to devise, direct, and carry out plans necessary to fulfill a purpose;
(2) Artistry, which gives the believer the skill of creating artistic expressions that produce a spiritual response of strength and inspiration;
(3) Discernment, motivates a believer to seek God’s will and purpose and apply that understanding to individual and congregational situations;

(4) Evangelism, which moves believers to reach nonbelievers (unsaved) in such a way that they are baptized and become active members of the local church;

(5) Exhortation, which moves the believer to reach out with Christian love and presence to people in personal conflict of facing a spiritual void;
(6) Faith, which gives a believer the eyes to see the Spirit at work and the ability to trust the Spirit’s leading without indication of where it all might lead;

(7) Giving, which enables a believer to recognize God’s blessings and to respond to those blessings by generously and sacrificially giving of one’s resources (time, talent, and money);

(8) Hospitality, which causes a believer to joyfully welcome and receive guests and those in need of food and lodging;
(9) Intercession, which enables a believer to pray with the certainty that prayer is heard and when requests are made, answers will come;
(10) Leadership, which gives a believer the confidence to step forward, give direction and provide motivation to fulfill a dream or complete a task;
(11) Mercy, which motivates a believer to feel deeply for those in physical, spiritual, or emotional need and then act to meet that need;
(12) Music (Vocal), which gives a believer the capability and opportunity to present personal witness and inspiration to others through singing;
(13) Music (Instrumental), which inspires a believer to express personal faith and provide inspiration and comfort through the playing of a musical instrument;
(14) Service (Helps), which enables a believer to work gladly behind the scenes in order that God’s work is fulfilled;
(15) Skilled (Craftsman), which enables a believer to create, build, maintain or repair items used within the church;

(16) Wisdom, which allows the believer to sort through opinions, facts and thoughts in order to determine what solution would be best for the individual believer or the body of believers;

(17) Writing, which gives a believer the ability to express truth in a written form; a form that can edify, instruct and strengthen the body of believers.

Closing thoughts:

God never gives a person a task without also providing him with what’s necessary to perform the responsibility. Referring to this truth, if you look within God’s Eternal Word, you will find that God gave Moses a rod, David a sling, Samson the jawbone of a donkey, Shamar an ox goad, Esther the beauty of person, Deborah the talent for poetry, Dorcas a needle, and Apollos an eloquent tongue, and to each the ability to use that gift. Our heavenly Father has given at least one spiritual gift to each of us as believers in Christ, and He provides all we need to carry out our individual responsibilities (1 Corinthians 12:6-7). My brethren we are all essential in the body of Christ (1 Corinthians 14-27).

We will be accountable to God on how we used our spiritual gift or gifts, as they exist for His purposes and not ours (Romans 14:12). Moreover, whatever gift the Lord gave you, is granted on the condition, it be used for the common good of the church. There cannot be any stronger exhortation that all the gifts, which we possess are divine deposits entrusted to us for the very purpose of being distributed for the good of the Church and brethren. Acknowledging these truths isn’t only a source of comfort and encouragement, but is also a very sobering reality, for it places before us an important obligation. God’s gifts to us must not be squandered! They must be fully used, because someday “each of us shall give account of himself to God” (Romans 14:12). So, my brethren:

(1) What spiritual gift has the Lord given you?
(2) Do you know what your spiritual gift is?
(3) Are you using your spiritual gift to edify the Body of Christ?
(4) Or, have you put your spiritual gift on a shelf where it's collecting dust?

My beloved, don’t waste your gift! Use it for His glory and the blessings of others!

One day our Lord will ask you, “What did you do with the gift I gave you?

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
Brother, you have certainly not left your gifts on a shelf gathering dust! Thank you for your messages.

Abed_nego2

Thank you for you uplifting comments. I have been using my gifts for the Lord for over 30 years teaching an adult Sunday school class and serving in our local church. During that time I have accumulated many devotionals and studies that I have prepared and which I have stored on my computer. Wishing you a very 'Merry Christmas" and a "Happy New Year". His servant - Abed_nego2