USDA Predicts 8% Rise in Food Prices, 37% in Egg Prices, in 2023

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
USDA Predicts 8% Rise in Food Prices, 37% in Egg Prices, in 2023
Americans are just working to eat.
By Daniel Greenfield

Time for another Biden victory lap about how great things are while Americans can’t afford to buy food.

Despite all the lies, it’s not getting better. Even the USDA projects that it’s continuing to get worse.

Food prices are expected to grow more slowly in 2023 than in 2022 but still at above historical average rates. In 2023, all food prices are predicted to increase 7.9 percent, with a prediction interval of 5.5 to 10.3 percent. Food-at-home prices are predicted to increase 8.6 percent, with a prediction interval of 5.6 to 11.8 percent. Food-away-from-home prices are predicted to increase 8.3 percent, with a prediction interval of 7.1 to 9.6 percent.

Even if these numbers are correct, it’s only a few percent less than the price increases in 2022. Slowing the rate at which food becomes unaffordable is not a victory.

In 2023, prices are predicted to increase for other meats (4.7 percent), dairy products (7.2 percent), fats and oils (16.7 percent), processed fruits and vegetables (9.9 percent), sugar and sweets (11.5 percent), cereals and bakery products (12.8 percent), nonalcoholic beverages (9.9 percent)

And expect egg prices to keep getting worse.

Egg prices are predicted to increase 37.8 percent in 2023

Let’s check with Wall Street.

To Save Money, Maybe You Should Skip Breakfast – Wall Street Journal

With Americans spending an estimated $395 more on food per month, other consumer purchases are falling away leading to an economy in which people are working to eat.

https://www.raptureforums.com/polit...rise-in-food-prices-37-in-egg-prices-in-2023/

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
If you read the Book of Revelation, you know where all of this is going. :sad
Right, if we were going to be here for the trib, we should take out stock in wheat and barley. :sad

[Rev 6:6 ESV] 6 And I heard what seemed to be a voice in the midst of the four living creatures, saying, "A quart of wheat for a denarius, and three quarts of barley for a denarius, and do not harm the oil and wine!"

A denarius is a "day's wage." Rough estimates in the US is about $150 gross (before tax). I believe a quart (32 oz) is about 2 lbs.

$150/32 = $4.69 per oz of flour. o_O

Just a little more food for thought. I make bread and the average loaf uses about 500 grams of flour. This is about 17.6 oz of flour.

17.6 x $4.69 = $82.54 loaf of bread. A day's work for about 2 loaves of bread. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

yrrek

Right, if we were going to be here for the trib, we should take out stock in wheat and barley. :sad

[Rev 6:6 ESV] 6 And I heard what seemed to be a voice in the midst of the four living creatures, saying, "A quart of wheat for a denarius, and three quarts of barley for a denarius, and do not harm the oil and wine!"

A denarius is a "day's wage." Rough estimates in the US is about $150 gross (before tax). I believe a quart (32 oz) is about 2 lbs.

Just a little more food for thought. I make bread and the average loaf uses about 500 grams of flour. This is about 17.6 oz of flour.

17.6 x $4.69 = $82.54 loaf of bread. A day's work for about 2 loaves of bread. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
Wow! I’ve never been good at math but it’s crazy to see it worked out like that. Can’t imagine that.

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
Nothing kills an economy faster than when people have no money left after gas and groceries.

Oh but we have obummer care: with deductibles that eat up any surplus, and taxes to fund failing schools, and crumbling roads that we don't have the EV's to drive on.

This is breeding a real haves vs have-nots confrontation.

The problem for the haves is the have-nots have nothing left to lose and so are fearless.

Add a new leader who worships fortress.....

NewWine2020

Nothing kills an economy faster than when people have no money left after gas and groceries.

Oh but we have obummer care: with deductibles that eat up any surplus, and taxes to fund failing schools, and crumbling roads that we don't have the EV's to drive on.

This is breeding a real haves vs have-nots confrontation.

The problem for the haves is the have-nots have nothing left to lose and so are fearless.

Add a new leader who worships fortress.....

My understanding is that our Fed and leadership are purposefully engineering a recession and trying to induce businesses to layoff massive numbers of employees because they are blaming "inflation" on US citizens still having too much $$ to spread around ....their reasoning being that as people become unable to pay for goods and services that the businesses providing the same will then be forced to lower prices and THEN "inflation will be solved!"

I could be wrong but rather than gaslighting the American people, our govt could oh, I don't know....STOP PRINTING $$$$$ like it means nothing and is not causing a massive devaluation of our currency.

Or at least they could invest the money in infrastructure and helping legal citizens who need a hand up instead of laundering it in Eastern Europe while feeding the industrial-military complex. (Although I suppose that's good for those who have mutual funds that trade in these companies...)

Sigh.

Anyone who cannot see that our govt is comprised of incompetent "diversity hire" idiots and actual traitors who are being richly rewarded by foreign powers that want us to fail is willfully blind.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20

I think the verse probably refers to unmilled wheat berries, not flour. I could be wrong, and I'm not a Hebrew or Greek scholar.

Some wesites indicate two cups of wheat berries yield about three cups of flour. Depending on variety, how fine it's ground, and humidity, yield could be as low as one cup berries yielding one cup flour. Four cups per quart, so four to six cups of flour per quart.

I can make a LOT of bread in a bread maker with six cups of flour. Conservatively, three cups produces a two-pound loaf (16 slices).
I have a small bread maker, which makes a small loaf (one pound), and some recipes only call for one cup of flour.

If one is grinding wheat berries, one gets whole wheat flour, which has more protein and fiber than white flour, but needs added vital wheat gluten for loaf structure (the ground bran cuts the gluten).

Some all-purpose white flour is a mixture of wheat and barley flours, and some is all wheat. Wheat flour has more gluten and less fiber, and barley flour has less gluten and more fiber. The nutritional profiles of the two flours are different, as well. Flour intended specifically for bread has more (or all) wheat flour.

Wheat and barley flour can be replaced and/or supplemented by rye, oat, and other flours. Potatoes (fresh or dried ground, grated, or flaked) make a yummy addition/substitution. Historically, during times of famine, bread has been made in part using sawdust and other normally-not-eaten-by-humans substances. Adding vegetables, seeds, fruit, herbs, etc. can make the bread heartier, more nutritious, etc.

Last edited:

NewWine2020

I think the verse probably refers to unmilled wheat berries, not flour. I could be wrong, and I'm not a Hebrew or Greek scholar.

Some wesites indicate two cups of wheat berries yield about three cups of flour. Depending on variety, how fine it's ground, and humidity, yield could be as low as one cup berries yielding one cup flour. Four cups per quart, so four to six cups of flour per quart.

I can make a LOT of bread in a bread maker with six cups of flour. Conservatively, three cups produces a two-pound loaf (16 slices).
I have a small bread maker, which makes a small loaf (one pound), and some recipes only call for one cup of flour.

If one is grinding wheat berries, one gets whole wheat flour, which has more protein and fiber than white flour, but needs added vital wheat gluten for loaf structure (the ground bran cuts the gluten).

Some all-purpose white flour is a mixture of wheat and barley flours, and some is all wheat. Wheat flour has more gluten and less fiber, and barley flour has less gluten and more fiber. The nutritional profiles of the two flours are different, as well. Flour intended specifically for bread has more (or all) wheat flour.

Wheat and barley flour can be replaced and/or supplemented by rye, oat, and other flours. Potatoes (fresh or dried ground, grated, or flaked) make a yummy addition/substitution. Historically, during times of famine, bread has been made in part using sawdust and other normally-not-eaten-by-humans substances. Adding vegetables, seeds, fruit, herbs, etc. can make the bread heartier, more nutritious, etc.

You made something rather scary and depressing sound...delicious! LOL! I have a hankering for some mutli-grain bread with seeds and nuts... put some ghee and honey on it as well! :)

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
You made something rather scary and depressing sound...delicious! LOL! I have a hankering for some mutli-grain bread with seeds and nuts... put some ghee and honey on it as well! :)

toasted, grilled, charced, or warm-out-of-the-oven?

. . . and add chilled, mashed, organic fruit (no added sugar, keep the outsides and the seeds for fiber and good fat, or smush/strain through organic cheesecloth to get it reasonably lump-free if necessary for dental or GI issues) :smile

I love home-made bread. So much better than store-bought. I can control the ingredients (organic, etc.) and add and subtract stuff to make a recipe healthier (add fiber, reduce sugar, better oil/fat, etc.) or better (or occasionally not-so-good :lol

A bread machine makes it possible because I can't knead by hand. I can also pull the pan out before the bake cycle starts, pull the dough out and shape it, and make rolls, pastries, coffee cake, pretzels, bread sticks, etc. in the oven. Or freeze the unbaked, shaped pieces, wrap individually, and pull them out to bake as needed. I'm thinking I could also make pasta dough and put it through a pasta maker thingee, but I haven't tried that. Wonder how pumpernickel or wild rice spaghetti or noodles would taste :hmmm :biggrin Probably take a LOT of tinkering to get it right because of gluten, fiber, texture, moisture, etc. And then cooking times and temps.

Unfortunately, I have to limit carbs :frown

Last edited:
Back