US farmers sound alarm on single-most catastrophic thing headed for corn crops

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
We've been eating clean, organic, grass-fed, etc. long enough that we can tell the difference if we go out to eat (restaurant or friend's house). I also get sick from a lot of stuff, most of which is GMO or otherwise polluted/adulterated, including rBST dairy. Toxic exposures in the military have made me very sensitive to some things, especially herbicides, pesticides, etc., so try to be very careful.

Grass-fed beef tastes like the beef I ate growing up because that's what cows ate.

Fresh, organic Amish chicken tastes pretty close to the chicken I ate growing up, but not quite as fresh. Maybe how long it's been dead (not usually slaughtered same-day or day previous)

Organic, pasture-raised eggs are the closest I've found at the grocery store to the eggs when I was a kid

Local, organic produce, certified or not, tastes like the produce I ate growing up.

Non-organic non-GMO produce often doesn't taste right (likely the chemical pesticides). Easy to tell local from non-local, too (fresh vs very stale)

Organic produce that's been brought in from a long way away is OK, but tastes stale.

GMO produce not only doesn't taste right, but the texture and smell are often not right either.

Organic citrus tastes like the citrus growing up because it had to be trucked up here then, too. When my parents did the snowbird thing and I visited Florida, the fresh citrus from friends' and neighbors' backyard trees . . . aaaah :smile

Etc., etc., etc.

DWB

The GMO is simply more disease resistant, reducing the risk of loss to the farmer. I don't know why any different equipment would be needed unless the yield is so small it makes no sense to use bigger harvesters. Since all corn has now been cross pollinated it may be impossible to find any non-GMO corn to plant. You can buy seed with nothing added, but that doesn't mean it doesn't contain any of the traits added to GMO corn because of past cross pollination.

I don't think anyone has been more harassed by the gubmint than the small family farmer. That's why we don't hardly exist anymore. About 40% of my farm is plantable, the family used to grow tobacco and corn, but the cost of the planting and harvesting equipment is too high to ever see a return on the investment. So, cattle is the only other thing and it is a break-even operation at best. The property tax savings for doing anything agricultural will off-set any small losses.

Growing non-GMO corn is about the same as trying to grow any crop without fertilizer.

Back