US farmers sound alarm on single-most catastrophic thing headed for corn crops

GEOINTAnalyst

A regulatory move within Mexico’s agricultural sector has U.S. farmers concerned it will "corn-er" their corn crop production.

"Most farmers, my generation and younger, have never even used conventional corn. We're not set up to do it. We don't have the equipment to do it," Hinkel Farms' Elizabeth Hinkel told FOX Business’ Madison Alworth on "Mornings with Maria" Tuesday. "So it would be a huge investment if we had to go back to growing conventional. And on top of that, our yields would be decreased."

American farmers are headed to Capitol Hill to voice concerns about Mexico’s proposed ban on U.S. imports of genetically modified corn, reportedly warning the move could become the most catastrophic thing to happen to corn farmers.

Mexico represents America’s biggest buyer of corn, purchasing more than $10 billion worth of yellow and white U.S. corn last season alone.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy...gle-most-catastrophic-thing-headed-corn-crops

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
The problem is those farmers are the slothful types bent on profit.
They spray their fields with weed killer, then sow resistant corn in low tilled fields.

Reminds me of the Man who Wouldn't Hoe Corn .by. Allison Kraus & Union Station

Cant blame Mexico if they have to eat that stuff. So farming has to re-learn what the organics have been doing.... and drive up prices.

Last edited:

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
When I pass US cornfields, in stead of rows of corn from a distance it looks like wall to call corn. Is that how they can plant the gmo corn for a greater yield per acre?

Carl

Back in the late 30's hybridizing corn started. From 1938 to like 1959 or 1960 corn yield increased by .8 bushels per acre per year. Then on the increase was 1.9 bushels per acre per year.
From 1866 to 1938 the yield was steady at about 23 bushels per acre. From about 1955 on the average yield formula is 1.9 * NNNN(number of year) -3668.3. I don't know what the difference between double hybrid and GMO is.
We are now working on 175 bushel per acre.

TimeWarpWife

It used to be I could make a meal out of just mashed potatoes and corn, but they don't taste the same. I don't know if it's because, like the rest of me, my taste buds have just gotten old, but food doesn't taste as good as it did when I was growing up. I've also noticed that food we used to get from restaurants ~ pre-plandemic ~ tasted a lot better than it does now. Again, not sure if it's my old taste buds or what. :thinking

cheeky200386

It used to be I could make a meal out of just mashed potatoes and corn, but they don't taste the same. I don't know if it's because, like the rest of me, my taste buds have just gotten old, but food doesn't taste as good as it did when I was growing up. I've also noticed that food we used to get from restaurants ~ pre-plandemic ~ tasted a lot better than it does now. Again, not sure if it's my old taste buds or what. :thinking
I went to Israel in 2018 and the food tasted so delicious it was unreal. It ruined me for a while when I got back. The Hummus there is so good I was eating it alone with every meal. Everything was just more juicy and delicious. You have to taste it for yourself.

I think something's not quite right with our food here in the states.

Back