US cannot 'take lightly' threat Russia could use nuclear weapons - CIA chief

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
US cannot 'take lightly' threat Russia could use nuclear weapons - CIA chief
"none of us can take lightly the threat posed by a potential resort to tactical nuclear weapons or low-yield nuclear weapons," Burns said.
By REUTERS
Published: APRIL 14, 2022

The threat of Russia potentially using tactical or low-yield nuclear weapons in Ukraine cannot be taken lightly, but the CIA has not seen a lot of practical evidence reinforcing that concern, CIA Director William Burns said on Thursday. Burns' most extensive public comments since Russia invaded Ukraine on Feb. 24 underscored concerns that the biggest attack against a European state since 1945 risks escalating to the use of nuclear weapons. He spoke at Georgia Tech of the "potential desperation" and setbacks dealt Russian President Vladimir Putin, whose forces have suffered heavy losses and have been forced to retreat from some parts of northern Ukraine after failing to capture Kyiv.

For those reasons, "none of us can take lightly the threat posed by a potential resort to tactical nuclear weapons or low-yield nuclear weapons," Burns said. That said, despite "rhetorical posturing" by the Kremlin about putting the world's largest nuclear arsenal on high alert, "We haven't seen a lot of practical evidence of the kind of deployments or military dispositions that would reinforce that concern.”

more.......... https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-704217

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I'll he surprised if Kyiv at some point during this war is not hit with several tactical nukes or one big one. The way things are going Ukraine may end up being 100% victorious... may even clean out the breakaway republics and retake Crimea. I think Russia will see it's conventional stores of equipment and weaponry depleted and in order not to lose outright will resort to nukes.

MapleLeaf

Is Ukraine actually being that successful? The alt-right, independent media here in Canada and social media just brush off all those reports as lies. Maybe Ukraine really is getting extra help under the table. I just didn't expect Russia to struggle so much.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Is Ukraine actually being that successful? The alt-right, independent media here in Canada and social media just brush off all those reports as lies. Maybe Ukraine really is getting extra help under the table. I just didn't expect Russia to struggle so much.

Kyiv is still in Ukrainian hands. Massive amounts of Russian military equipment has been destroyed or captured. Ukraine is getting lots of weaponry from different countries (a lot of that is going to stay out of the news for obvious reasons). With the Black Sea Flag ship that did a lot to protect other military ships operating as part of the Black Sea fleet now at the bottom of the sea, the Russian Navy, from the Black Sea anyway, is suddenly less capable and significantly more vulnerable, and I'm sure Russia counted on that fleet to be a supporting role in the invigorated effort that's supposedly come to east Ukraine.

Foreigners, including Russians are fighting against Russia on behalf of Ukraine.

Also, the 150 Canadians sent to Poland should lift everyone's spirits, eh.

MapleLeaf

I know people are gunshy of the media pushing narratives but sometimes some of it is actually true. Saw a report from a missionary who is there and it collaborated some of the stuff the alt-media doesn't want to accept about Russia/Putin. It does make sense too because no way Russia would be just sitting back and letting this drag on as long as it has.

I guess the Canadian army can lob TimBits over the border and fat the Russians to death.