US approves $1.1 billion sale of arms to Taiwan; China threatens reaction

ChildofLight

US approves $1.1 billion sale of arms to Taiwan; China threatens reaction

The U.S. State Department has approved a potential $1.1 billion sale of military equipment to Taiwan, reports Reuters.

The sale includes 60 anti-ship missiles and 100 air-to-air missiles. The largest portion of the sale is a $655M logistics support package for Taiwan’s surveillance radar program, which provides air defense warnings, according to the Guardian.

U.S. officials say the deal does not reflect any change in America’s policy toward Taiwan. "These proposed sales are routine cases to support Taiwan’s continuing efforts to modernize its armed forces and to maintain a credible defensive capability," an anonymous U.S. Department of State spokesperson said.

This deal represents the largest amount of support the Biden administration has given Taiwan, said Drew Thompson, a senior research fellow at the National University of Singapore.

"As the PRC continues to increase pressure on Taiwan – including through heightened military air and maritime presence around Taiwan – and engages in attempts to change the status quo in the Taiwan Strait, we’re providing Taiwan with what it needs to maintain its self-defense capabilities," Laura Rosenberger, White House senior director for China and Taiwan, said in a statement.

Chinese officials quickly expressed their displeasure over the potential sale. Liu Pengyu, spokesperson for the Chinese embassy in Washington, said in a statement that the sale "severely jeopardizes China-U.S. relations and peace and stability across the Taiwan Strait," adding, “"China will resolutely take legitimate and necessary counter-measures in light of the development of the situation.”

Officials in Taiwan expressed gratitude for the sale announcement. "At the same time, it also demonstrates that it will help our country strengthen its overall defense capabilities and jointly maintain the security and peace of the Taiwan Strait and the Indo-Pacific region," Taiwan’s defense ministry said in a statement.

Tensions between Taiwan and China have risen dramatically in recent months. China claims Taiwan as its own territory, while Taiwan maintains an independent democratic government.

Visits by U.S. officials to Taiwan have strained an already fraying U.S.-China relationship. Last month, China halted talks with the U.S. on climate change and military coordination.

The arms sales must be approved by Congress, but both Democratic and Republican congressional aides said they did not expect opposition, according to Reuters.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/us-sa...utm_term=ACTIVE LIST - TheBlaze Breaking News

SkyRider

What kind of game are the puppet masters of Biden playing? They leave $84 billion worth of assets behind in Bagram for the Taliban and Al Queda to play with; they are pouring billions more into Ukraine, to what? see if Putin will follow through on his threats to use nukes?; they are working feverishly to try to get a deal done with Iran by promising them billions in sanctions relief and other goodwill gestures, in an effort to allow them to go nuclear; and now want to piss off the Chinese by offering up a billlion or so (it will probably, more than likely, come to more) to Taiwan? Are they hoping for a confrontation with Beijing? Are they offering the head of Taipei up on a platter? I am suspicious of every one of this regime's moves; it can't be for the betterment of our country or our allies. In the meantime, our southern border is wide, allowing in any kind of terrorists. I can't help but feel that every move they make is in an effort to drag us into something cataclysmic; anything to cause world chaos to usher in, you know who's rule. I just don't trust them with anything....

NewWine2020

What kind of game are the puppet masters of Biden playing? They leave $84 billion worth of assets behind in Bagram for the Taliban and Al Queda to play with; they are pouring billions more into Ukraine, to what? see if Putin will follow through on his threats to use nukes?; they are working feverishly to try to get a deal done with Iran by promising them billions in sanctions relief and other goodwill gestures, in an effort to allow them to go nuclear; and now want to piss off the Chinese by offering up a billlion or so (it will probably, more than likely, come to more) to Taiwan? Are they hoping for a confrontation with Beijing? Are they offering the head of Taipei up on a platter? I am suspicious of every one of this regime's moves; it can't be for the betterment of our country or our allies. In the meantime, our southern border is wide, allowing in any kind of terrorists. I can't help but feel that every move they make is in an effort to drag us into something cataclysmic; anything to cause world chaos to usher in, you know who's rule. I just don't trust them with anything....

I think whether our idiot in chief and his staff are aware of where their marching orders really come from, the ultimate intent is to sow chaos through the world to help usher in an environment where everyone is so tired and scared that we all become wiling to lock arms sing "Imagine" by John Lennon...United Nations Peacekeepers will" take care of" those of us who don't like this plan.

SkyRider

I think whether our idiot in chief and his staff are aware of where their marching orders really come from, the ultimate intent is to sow chaos through the world to help usher in an environment where everyone is so tired and scared that we all become wiling to lock arms sing "Imagine" by John Lennon...United Nations Peacekeepers will" take care of" those of us who don't like this plan.
Yup....I’m convinced of it. Everything they do seems to point in that direction, otherwise it doesn’t make sense.