US and Taliban reach reduction of violence agreement -US official

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
US and Taliban reach reduction of violence agreement -US official
An agreement that leads to a major US troop withdrawal could be a political boost for Trump, who has repeatedly promised to stop "endless wars" as he seeks re-election in November.
By REUTERS
FEBRUARY 14, 2020

MUNICH - The United States has reached agreement with the Taliban on a weeklong reduction of violence that could lead to a US troop withdrawal from Afghanistan, a senior administration official said on Friday. The official told reporters at a security conference in Munich the seven-day reduction of violence agreement had yet to begin. The announcement followed a meeting between US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Defense Secretary Mark Esper and Afghan President Ashraf Ghani during the conference on Friday. It came a day after U.S. President Donald Trump said there was a "good chance" of reaching an agreement with the Taliban on a reduction of U.S. troops nearly two decades after the U.S.-led invasion.

An agreement that leads to a major US troop withdrawal could be a political boost for Trump, who has repeatedly promised to stop "endless wars" as he seeks re-election in November. The senior administration official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said that the reduction of violence agreement covers the entire country and also applies to Afghan forces, even though the Afghan government has been excluded from the talks between the United States and Taliban in Qatar. "The reduction of violence agreement is very specific. It's nationwide and it includes the Afghans," said the official, adding that it applies to "everything. Roadside bombs, suicide bombs, rocket attacks is all written out."

https://www.jpost.com/Breaking-News/US-and-Taliban-reach-reduction-of-violence-agreement-US-official-617621

athenasius

Ok I really would be glad to see the troops out of that country. ASAP.

I understood at the time that killing a few hornets nests of Al Quaida was necessary but when it dragged on to become an effort to help Islamic fundamentalist tribes grasp democracy it became an exercise in futility.

Lives lost, good people’s health and futures destroyed and tax dollars spent because recognizing the problem, naming the root cause of violence in Islam was too hard to do in our PC world.

Trump is doing right by getting out via whatever means he can without getting the swamp rats riled up any further.

Footsteps

Actually this comes at a good time as tactical units of the Border Patrol are being deployed to Democrat controlled Sanctuary cities. Their purpose is to bolster ICE (You know, that Organization AOC and her fans want to abolish?)
If there is any one place on the planet that should be abandoned to its own devices, it's Afghanistan. Ask the Brits, the Russians, and the Americans. Any enemy of the U.S. we can identify there should be dealt with by airstrike ONLY.
Hey Mister Taliban
Tally me banana
Daylight come and I
Wanna go home.
Hey Mr Taliban
Tally up my years there
Nineteen years and I
Wanna go home
Got two foot, six foot,
Eight foot RATS!
On my streets
So I gotta go home
Got some Dems
They all gone BATS!
Good luck man
'Cause I gotta go --
HOME!

DanLMP

Hey Mister Taliban
Tally me banana
Daylight come and I
Wanna go home.
Hey Mr Taliban
Tally up my years there
Nineteen years and I
Wanna go home
Got two foot, six foot,
Eight foot RATS!
On my streets
So I gotta go home
Got some Dems
They all gone BATS!
Good luck man
'Cause I gotta go --
HOME!
I was listening to Harry Belafonte's voice in my head.