Unwanted Phone Calls!

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
In truth, my mother's family, hill people, very insular, did and do maintain a still.

When visiting a family in the jungles of Colombia, they showed me their still. They made Agua Ardiente (fire water). They make it from sugar cane and flavor it with a bit of anise. It was sold commercially too with the same name. They wanted me to taste their brew, but I've never been inclined to try hard liquor. The still though, was very interesting to me, how it worked and all.

alisani

When visiting a family in the jungles of Colombia, they showed me their still. They made Agua Ardiente (fire water). They make it from sugar cane and flavor it with a bit of anise. It was sold commercially too with the same name. They wanted me to taste their brew, but I've never been inclined to try hard liquor. The still though, was very interesting to me, how it worked and all.
I understand the process to be more complicated than one would guess. But, like you, hard liquor is not for me. Too many alcoholics in my family on both sides. And both grandfathers abusive when drunk.

Is there a place on this earth you haven't been TT? We watched some yt videos last night about the permafrost melting. They toured research tunnels in Alaska which were cool as all get out. You live in a glorious place my friend.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Is there a place on this earth you haven't been TT? We watched some yt videos last night about the permafrost melting. They toured research tunnels in Alaska which were cool as all get out. You live in a glorious place my friend.

I have seen a lot of the world. My feet haven't touched the ground in Maine, Russia, Antarctica, Greenland, and a few other places :). Oh, and I've avoided New York City on purpose. one of my sons wanted me to pick him up at Newark Int Airport. I told him he'd have to catch a train into Jersey where I would then fetch him. I'm serious about avoiding the whole New York City area.

alisani

I have seen a lot of the world. My feet haven't touched the ground in Maine, Russia, Antarctica, Greenland, and a few other places :). Oh, and I've avoided New York City on purpose. one of my sons wanted me to pick him up at Newark Int Airport. I told him he'd have to catch a train into Jersey where I would then fetch him. I'm serious about avoiding the whole New York City area.
Smart decision considering what I see on the news.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20

I enjoyed doing the tourist thing in NYC when stationed in NJ. I especially liked symphony concerts at Carnegie Hall. Got to see my Dad one trip :smile

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I enjoyed doing the tourist thing in NYC when stationed in NJ. I especially liked symphony concerts at Carnegie Hall. Got to see my Dad one trip :smile

Towards the end of this month I'll be in Princeton, NJ. My wife and sons plan a tourist trip to NYC for a day. They're on their own. I let them know that I wouldn't be going with them. I've always been a country boy. I'm attracted to the great outdoors; forests and open spaces. I've never cared for cities, the larger they are the less I like them. When I'm on a road trip I dislike very much the time spent driving through a big city. It's just the way I'm wired I guess, which is why I ended up living in the middle of a forest a good ways from the nearest small town. I appreciate the wonder of God's creation and am not overly impressed with what man has built.

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
Towards the end of this month I'll be in Princeton, NJ. My wife and sons plan a tourist trip to NYC for a day. They're on their own. I let them know that I wouldn't be going with them. I've always been a country boy. I'm attracted to the great outdoors; forests and open spaces. I've never cared for cities, the larger they are the less I like them. When I'm on a road trip I dislike very much the time spent driving through a big city. It's just the way I'm wired I guess, which is why I ended up living in the middle of a forest a good ways from the nearest small town. I appreciate the wonder of God's creation and am not overly impressed with what man has built.
Is your son graduating at the end of the month?

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20

Light rail's the way to go. Far cheaper than driving and parking and far less time-consuming (traffic plus finding a parking garage). I never had a problem taking light rail to/from NJ into NYC. NJ Transit is far cheaper than Amtrak. Check carefully Princeton vs Princeton Junction. Close-by to one another, but vast difference in options and schedules. Prices vary on day and time of day. Note: Do not use the restrooms at Penn Station NYC (homeless, prostitution, drug use, and theft/robbery). When I was stationed there, Fort Dix/McGuire AFB sometimes had discounted tickets for tourist attractions. Sometimes package deals. Sometimes charter bus. About 45 minutes from Princeton.

There are some very pretty places along the coast (Jersey Shore) you might like. Also temperate forests. Not as spectacular as farther north, but nice, anyway. And the fresh blueberries and strawberries! Roadside stands and pick your own. There were a couple of good hamburger places in Red Bank, but I don't remember the names of the places (if they even exist anymore)

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Light rail's the way to go. Far cheaper than driving and parking and far less time-consuming (traffic plus finding a parking garage). I never had a problem taking light rail to/from NJ into NYC. NJ Transit is far cheaper than Amtrak. Check carefully Princeton vs Princeton Junction. Close-by to one another, but vast difference in options and schedules. Prices vary on day and time of day. Note: Do not use the restrooms at Penn Station NYC (homeless, prostitution, drug use, and theft/robbery). When I was stationed there, Fort Dix/McGuire AFB sometimes had discounted tickets for tourist attractions. Sometimes package deals. Sometimes charter bus. About 45 minutes from Princeton.

There are some very pretty places along the coast (Jersey Shore) you might like. Also temperate forests. Not as spectacular as farther north, but nice, anyway. And the fresh blueberries and strawberries! Roadside stands and pick your own. There were a couple of good hamburger places in Red Bank, but I don't remember the names of the places (if they even exist anymore)

Since I'm neither going nor supporting, those going to NYC can figure it out for themselves. My son who's mostly lived in Jersey for the last 4 years know his way around.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Is your son graduating at the end of the month?

Yes. I'll be there at Princeton for a week. Princeton does something for the graduates and their guests for several days straight. The guest speaker is the flaky guy... I listened to bloomberg tell us how great he was when my other son graduated from MIT. If I can do it without making a scene, when flaky comes up to speak I might go across the street to a burger joint I know about...