Union Theological Seminary Holds ‘Confession to Plants’ in Chapel Ceremony

benmcd

https://www.breitbart.com/environment/2019/09/18/union-theological-seminary-holds-confession-to-plants-in-chapel-ceremony/

Union Theological Seminary Holds ‘Confession to Plants’ in Chapel Ceremony

New York’s non-denominational Union Theological Seminary (UTS) held a ceremony Tuesday where members of the community placed plants in the center of the chapel and confessed their sins to them.
“Today in chapel, we confessed to plants,” UTS tweeted, together with a picture of the ritual. “Together, we held our grief, joy, regret, hope, guilt and sorrow in prayer; offering them to the beings who sustain us but whose gift we too often fail to honor.”

“What do you confess to the plants in your life?” it asked:

On Wednesday, after receiving a fair amount of derisive feedback, the seminary sent out a flurry of tweets defending its actions.
“When Robin Wall Kimmerer spoke at Union last year, she concluded her lecture by tasking us—and all faith communities—to develop new liturgies by which to mourn, grieve, heal and change in response to our climate emergency,” one UTS tweet said. “We couldn’t be prouder to participate in this work.”

“So, if you’re poking fun, we’d ask only that you also spend a couple moments asking: Do I treat plants and animals as divinely created beings?” another tweet proposed in its ecological examination of conscience. “What harm do I cause without thinking? How can I enter into new relationship with the natural world?”

Tuesday’s ritual seemed in consonance with the seminary’s approach to the Christian faith.

“Progressive theology has long taken shape at Union, where faith and scholarship walk together to be a moral force in the world,” declares the seminary website in its mission statement. “Grounded in the Christian tradition and responsive to the needs of God’s creation, a Union education prepares its students for committed lives of service to the church, academy, and society.”

The education offered makes connections between Christian traditions and the insights of other faiths and “the most profoundly challenging issues of our contemporary experience: the realities of suffering and injustice, world religious pluralism, the fragility of our planet, and discoveries of modern science.”

Mike Evans

For some reason this reminds me of the Lost In Space episode called THE GREAT VEGETABLE REBELLION, when the Robinsons landed on a planet ruled by plants and a giant carrot held them hostage while Dr Smith and Penny turned into plants.
Despite all of its absurdities, it is more plausible (and entertaining) than what this seminary has subscribed to.

athenasius

OK lemme get this straight, so the environmentalists all want us to munch plants only, beans etc and quit eating meat. Cows must stop farting but we won't consider what the humble bean does! :hmmm

Ditto the groups like PETA. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. Quit chomping steak and embrace the lentil!!!!:hmmm

The Vegans want us to quit forcing bees to work for us in slave labour creating honey for humans to enjoy, nor should we wear leather shoes, in favour of the misnamed "vegan leather" which is straight up plastic, with all it's deadly chemicals involved in creation and eventual breakdown millennia hence into microplastics. :hmmm

:groan So NOW we got a seminary full of earnest but ignorant theologians who are now launching the equivalent of PETA for the plants?????

And we start by confessing how evil we are to keep munching lettuce and lentils. Feeling terribly sad that I'm munching plant babies (seeds, beans, grains) along with whole plant bodies (lettuce leaves) OH THE HORROR, THE GUILT :frown2

I'm going back to my steak, and ribs, and chops and eggs! :tea

And I'm going to continue to give thanks before each meal to GOD who provided it. NOT TO the earth it grew in, NOR the lettuce that gave it's all to make me a Caesar Salad and NOT the Piggy that spared me a rib!

But GOD who is worthy of ALL my thanksgiving, all my praise and yes, to whom I confess my sins because HE says HE is faithful and just to forgive me my sins.