UN votes to suspend Russia from Human Rights Council over Ukraine

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
UN votes to suspend Russia from Human Rights Council over Ukraine
Foreign Minister Yair Lapid: "The vote today does not change our position on the UN Human Rights Council."
By REUTERS
Published: APRIL 7, 2022

The United Nations General Assembly voted to suspend Russia from the Geneva-based Human Rights Council on Thursday with the US-led push garnering 93 votes in favor, while 24 countries voted no and 58 countries abstained. Russia said on Thursday that a vote by United Nations member states to suspend it from the UN Human Rights Council was illegal and politically motivated, the RIA news agency reported. RIA also quoted Gennady Kuzmin, Deputy Russian Ambassador to the United Nations, as saying Russia had decided to give up its membership immediately, on April 7.

"The vote today does not change our position on the UN Human Rights Council, which is an extremist, morally flawed, biased and essentially anti-Israel body that has been exploited since its inception by the main countries violating human rights in the world as a political tool, including to attack Israel," said Foreign Minister Yair Lapid on Thursday. The draft text expressed "grave concern at the ongoing human rights and humanitarian crisis in Ukraine," particularly at reports of rights abuses by Russia.

more.............. https://www.jpost.com/international/article-703464

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Excuse my ignorance but due to their past track records in wars etc especially with Stalin i never knew that Russia ever had been a member of the so called "Human rights" council ?

Footsteps

Excuse my ignorance but due to their past track records in wars etc especially with Stalin i never knew that Russia ever had been a member of the so called "Human rights" council ?
Fig leaf. The Human Rights Council was formed in 2006. Cuba is a member. You are not ignorant; the Council has had no accomplishments that would have made the news. With Russia and China on the Security Council, able to approve wars that they start, the U.N. is less than useless. The only reason we should remain a member is to keep tabs on the foolishness.