Ukrainian soldiers execute injured Russian soldiers in video – NYT

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Ukrainian soldiers execute injured Russian soldiers in video – NYT
The video appears to depict Ukrainian soldiers standing over dead and wounded Russian soldiers before shooting a wounded Russian three times, presumably killing him.
By JERUSALEM POST STAFF
Published: APRIL 8, 2022

The New York Times confirmed the authenticity of a video depicting Ukrainian service members shooting wounded Russian soldiers dead in execution-style killings on Wednesday. "A video posted online on Monday and verified by The New York Times appears to show a group of Ukrainian soldiers killing captured Russian troops outside a village west of Kyiv," the newspaper said.

The video, posted on Telegram, appears to depict Ukrainian soldiers standing over dead and wounded Russian soldiers before one cried out “He’s still alive... look, he’s still alive, he’s gasping,” before one of the soldiers shoots the wounded soldier an additional three times, presumably killing him.

The soldiers in the video are wearing the Ukrainian colors of blue and yellow on their arms, while the men on the floor wear white armbands – the color of Russian military insignia.

more............ https://www.jpost.com/international/article-703581

NewWine2020

I guess there may be "war crimes" being committed by both sides.

I agree with one caveat...there would be 0% opportunity for either side to commit war crimes if Putin had not willfully invaded his neighbor.

I would wager that the weeks of indiscriminate shelling/bombing, looting and rape committed by Russian forces is hardening the resolve and searing the conscience of the Ukrainian people so this will only escalate.

I'm having trouble gathering any empathy for the Russian soldiers and I don't even know anyone over in Ukraine.

:(

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I agree with one caveat...there would be 0% opportunity for either side to commit war crimes if Putin had not willfully invaded his neighbor.

I agree, but if we're going to call something a war crime because it's been codified under some international agreement, and both countries are signatories, then it doesn't matter who's responsible for starting the war... a war crime is a war crime.

Personally I don't think there should be any rules when warring other than to defeat the enemy... but if we're going to say that the Russians are guilty of war crimes, we would be remiss not to also say that the Ukrainians are guilty of war crimes. Some of what's being called war crimes with regards to the Russians are not war crimes under these international agreements that define war crimes.