Ukraine-Russia War: Russia committed war crimes near Kyiv - Amnesty

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
The Amnesty report is the latest to document alleged war crimes committed by Russian forces when they occupied an area northwest of Kyiv, including the town of Bucha.
By REUTERS
Published: MAY 6, 2022

Amnesty International said on Friday there was compelling evidence that Russian troops had committed war crimes, including extrajudicial executions of civilians, when they occupied an area outside Ukraine's capital in February and March. Civilians also suffered abuses such as "reckless shootings and torture" at the hands of Russian forces during their failed onslaught on Kyiv in the early stages of the invasion launched by the Kremlin on Feb. 24, the rights group said in a report.

"These are not isolated incidents. These are very much part of a pattern wherever Russian forces were in control of a town or a village," Donatella Rovera, Amnesty's senior crisis response adviser, told a news conference in Kyiv. Information collected by the group "can be used, hopefully, for holding the perpetrators to account, if not today, one day in the future," she said. Russia, which calls its invasion a "special operation" to disarm Ukraine and protect it from fascists, denies its forces committed abuses. Kyiv and its Western backers say the fascism claim is a false pretext for an unprovoked war of aggression.

more................ https://www.jpost.com/international/article-706031

NewWine2020

The Amnesty report is the latest to document alleged war crimes committed by Russian forces when they occupied an area northwest of Kyiv, including the town of Bucha.
By REUTERS
Published: MAY 6, 2022

Amnesty International said on Friday there was compelling evidence that Russian troops had committed war crimes, including extrajudicial executions of civilians, when they occupied an area outside Ukraine's capital in February and March. Civilians also suffered abuses such as "reckless shootings and torture" at the hands of Russian forces during their failed onslaught on Kyiv in the early stages of the invasion launched by the Kremlin on Feb. 24, the rights group said in a report.

"These are not isolated incidents. These are very much part of a pattern wherever Russian forces were in control of a town or a village," Donatella Rovera, Amnesty's senior crisis response adviser, told a news conference in Kyiv. Information collected by the group "can be used, hopefully, for holding the perpetrators to account, if not today, one day in the future," she said. Russia, which calls its invasion a "special operation" to disarm Ukraine and protect it from fascists, denies its forces committed abuses. Kyiv and its Western backers say the fascism claim is a false pretext for an unprovoked war of aggression.

more................ https://www.jpost.com/international/article-706031

I was involved w/ Amnesty International back in my Sr yr of High School (1989). You know what power AI has? They can write letters attempting to shame dictators and human rights violators who Lack not just any sense of shame but any moral compass or humanity whatsoever. It does nothing.

At any rate, I’m glad that the facts are being some independent validation…for what that’s worth.

NewWine2020

Amnesty Intl used to be a good organization decades ago... I don't trust them nowadays.

Strangely, the case that my High School AI group handled (writing letters in school paper and sending to the foreign authorities involved) concerned a young Russian man who had already completed his compulsory two yr (at that time) period of conscription in the Russian Army but was being forced to go back in for additional time.

Apparently the prosecuting lawyer tried to get him to recant his objective by having him beaten up (in a manner that would not leave noticeable marks) in a court anteroom. He actually did win his case and did not have to go back in so perhaps we DID do some good. Russia has always been a fun place.

But after HS I was not involved w/ them and got disgusted with them when AI started to paint the USA with the same brush as seriously totalitarian nations like Syria and Chile w/ the advent of the ”War on Terror.” I was naive back in the day and now realize that you can’t treat foreign enemies who are trying their best to destroy you as if they were misguided US citizens With all the associated human rights.