UK company to sell knives with square tips after sharp rise in knife crime

antitox

https://www.foxnews.com/world/uk-viners-knives-square-tips-knife-crime-england-wales

A cutlery company in England has designed a new line of kitchen knives with square tips in an effort to reduce the rising knife crime that has plagued the United Kingdom.

The Viners firm, founded in Sheffield in 1908, created the “Assure” range of blunt-tipped knives after knife-related crime reached a record high in England and Wales last year.

In Oct. 2019, the BBC reported new figures had shown a 7 percent rise in knife crime -- a record high -- in the months from June 2018 to June 2019. The data showed offenses involving a knife or sharp instrument increased from 41,000 to over 44,000 in those 12 months.

"With knife-related crime incidents at a record high and a reported 285 fatalities in the last 12 months alone, the UK Government has taken the decision to reclassify kitchen knives as an offensive weapon with the new Offensive Weapons Act 2019, leading some retailers to remove single knives from sale in retail stores,” the company said ina news release.

The firm said in response to the new legislation, it designed the square-ended knives that are “shaped to reduce and prevent injuries, accidents and fatalities” while still maintaining their functionality.

The knives were “repeatedly tested to ensure the tip does not pierce skin intentionally or otherwise,” Viners told the Telegraph.

The knives are available to order on Viners’ website with prices ranging between $4.55 and $18.87.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I think those redesigned knives could still puncture a gut... just need a little more force. It'll hurt the victim more going in. It would seem to me that pliable rubber knives would be better suited to prevent intentional injury, though I imagine a 10" rubber chef's knife could pack a mean slap.

Screw drivers and most other tools clearly don't have a place anymore in such an advanced society. Cord, rope, string, and other similar items can be used to strangle... that stuff must be outlawed. Pillows=suffocation.

I think folks would be safer if they changed the laws so that people could own firearms, and then encourage folks to buy one.

Last edited:

antitox

The thing that got me is, are they not thinking that people are killed with blunt instruments as well? Where do these folks brains go all the time? Is there no deductive reasoning on how you address these issues or is it just "let's try this and hope it works?"

moosejive

I don't think this will solve anything. You can make a weapon out of just about anything. Look at the prisoners who make shanks out of tooth brushes or the terrorists who uses a car or truck.
The government had better ban whetstones, and any kind of abrasive material one could use to make a pointy knife....wait then they would have to ban concrete too!! :doh :loco Once you get going down the rabbit hole of banning items, it becomes very Alice in Wonderland like.

JSTyler

The government had better ban whetstones, and any kind of abrasive material one could use to make a pointy knife....wait then they would have to ban concrete too!! :doh :loco Once you get going down the rabbit hole of banning items, it becomes very Alice in Wonderland like.
This was my first response, too. :thumbsup

I was like, "well it's a good thing that no one anywhere has ever invented a grinder of any kind!" :rolleyes2

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
https://www.foxnews.com/world/uk-viners-knives-square-tips-knife-crime-england-wales

A cutlery company in England has designed a new line of kitchen knives with square tips in an effort to reduce the rising knife crime that has plagued the United Kingdom.

The Viners firm, founded in Sheffield in 1908, created the “Assure” range of blunt-tipped knives after knife-related crime reached a record high in England and Wales last year.

In Oct. 2019, the BBC reported new figures had shown a 7 percent rise in knife crime -- a record high -- in the months from June 2018 to June 2019. The data showed offenses involving a knife or sharp instrument increased from 41,000 to over 44,000 in those 12 months.

"With knife-related crime incidents at a record high and a reported 285 fatalities in the last 12 months alone, the UK Government has taken the decision to reclassify kitchen knives as an offensive weapon with the new Offensive Weapons Act 2019, leading some retailers to remove single knives from sale in retail stores,” the company said ina news release.

The firm said in response to the new legislation, it designed the square-ended knives that are “shaped to reduce and prevent injuries, accidents and fatalities” while still maintaining their functionality.

The knives were “repeatedly tested to ensure the tip does not pierce skin intentionally or otherwise,” Viners told the Telegraph.

The knives are available to order on Viners’ website with prices ranging between $4.55 and $18.87.
:doh

Círeth

Purry, roary, one.
What's next, banning hands? Because if I wanted to, I don't, I could kill someone with my bare hands. It would take a bit more effort than using a knife but it's not that difficult.

If someone wants to kill someone they'll find a way. We banned law abiding citizens from owning hand guns, so criminals carry guns and if they cant get them they use knives. If we ban pointed knives criminals will use broken glass. If we ban glass they'll use sharpened or blunt rocks and good luck banning rocks.

Knives don't kill people. People kill people. I've never met a weapon that spontaneously tried to kill me on its own.