Uber vs.Lyft, food delivery, and other modern stuff - what's best?

ANewCreature

So, my mom texted me this mornign that she saw the airport SuperShuttle business we've used at various airports for vacation - especially to get to Treasure Island from Tampa - is going out of business. We always used some kind oflimo service even when I was a kid in the '70s; we only ever rented a car there when we went to the Old-Timers Game in 2007 in Clearwaterand when we went to a Tampa Bay Rays game once. So, while the trolley *might* go to the airport, it would require several changes and it's a lot easier to go in one trip like we're used to - there or any other trip.

So, who has used Uber or Lyft and how is it? I've ridden Uber with my college friend quite often when I've visited him but have never tried it myself. I dont like giving my credit card info out but it does seem easier than trying to opena PayPal account. I know my mom might find it trickier to try to use the app - although it seems from what my friend Sander says that it's close to the way Supershuttle worked with a way to track where the driver is, etc..

I've heard that Uber also has a special service called Uber Eats that delivers food - has anyone used it? Grubhub seems to be a bit better rated than it or DOordash. With rpcies being raised by a few nearby places, I'm looking into maybe having one of these companies deliver Little Caesars for our Youth Group if we need (Little Caesars doesn't deliver, at least not in my city) but it looks like all of them charge a $5-10 delivery fee anyway, and the tip would be just added in?

ANewCreature

Seems like it'd be harder to hide if someone took a piece of pizza - but they could always skim a few slices of pepperoni or something off the top and you'd never know it, so pizza would be one of the more disconcerting things to order from them.

Anyone use Uber or Lyft for rides?

athenasius

George & I tried Uber for the first time in LA in October and we are going to use it when & where we can. The 4 drivers we had were SAFE!!! And Courteous!!! And less than half the cost for taxis.

They use an app so it’s easy and safe to pay, plus they use a good Garmin or GPS device to get you safely and honestly to your destination. The app on our phone gives us a photo of the driver, license plate and a photo of the car plus how far away he is and how soon to expect him. And what it should cost to get from a to b.

The last few times we took taxis were scary and the Limo service we booked 2 years back when I had a bout of needing a wheel chair was horrible.

The driver didn’t show up where he was supposed to, couldn’t figure out anything on the phone let alone navigation of LAX airport and we cancelled him after almost an hour and a half waiting for him to find his way to the arrivals level.

The limo service finally refunded us under protest & a threat from our credit card company.

ANewCreature

George & I tried Uber for the first time in LA in October and we are going to use it when & where we can. The 4 drivers we had were SAFE!!! And Courteous!!! And less than half the cost for taxis.

They use an app so it’s easy and safe to pay, plus they use a good Garmin or GPS device to get you safely and honestly to your destination. The app on our phone gives us a photo of the driver, license plate and a photo of the car plus how far away he is and how soon to expect him. And what it should cost to get from a to b.
Thanks, that's really helpful. It's scary what some of those limo services must be like; I imagine it was something like that we took back in the '70s, but it sure was nice to have the SuperShuttle service around.

Of course, we always had good drivers for it - and I had a great one in Dallas who was very helpful with my vision. Maybe they'll just become Uber drivers when they get laid off. :)

I do have a nephew who drives for Uber in Dallas; he's had some really neat moments when praying for people who he winds up picking up.

Oh , my mom had a question - do people tip Uber drivers or does the tip come out automatically? I honestly don't recall noticing when Sander took Uber when I was down there.

Last edited:

athenasius

Thanks, that's really helpful. It's scary what some of those limo services must be like; I imagine it was something like that we took back in the '70s, but it sure was nice to have the SuperShuttle service around.

Of course, we always had good drivers for it - and I had a great one in Dallas who was very helpful with my vision. Maybe they'll just become Uber drivers when they get laid off. :)

I do have a nephew who drives for Uber in Dallas; he's had some really neat moments when praying for people who he winds up picking up.

Oh , my mom had a question - do people tip Uber drivers or does the tip come out automatically? I honestly don't recall noticing when Sander took Uber when I was down there.
We used our credit card to pay inside the app on our phone and there is a place to add the tip, it doesn't come out automatically but it's at the end, and it's easy to miss.

That part of the app isn't designed well.

So we did a cash tip which I think was more appreciated anyways. G and I prefer to tip in cash, because you never know who has their hands on the tip in the background.

And we were happy to tip generously because the service was great. It still cost less than a taxi ride before tip. It's about half the cost before the tips.

ANewCreature

Thanks, I'll remember that. I would almost definitely miss it anyway :) so I will just plan on tipping in cash. I prefer that also.

Jan51

I have recently used both Uber and Lyft over the last few months. I had good experiences. Easy to use, you see a picture of the driver, his/her first name, picture of car, license plate number, and a reminder not to get in till they say your name. I like seeing where the car is and when it's about to get to your spot, so if it's bad weather you don't have to stand out there for 5 minutes but can step out to meet them just as they arrive. If they can't find you you get a call from them and can explain where you are.

They were almost all chatty and friendly, and I had many chances to mention something about the Lord. A few didn't respond, a few nodded and smiled, and a couple seconded my comment. A couple I had in-depth conversations with; one of those said he would pray for me and my situation and I said I would pray for him and what his family was dealing with.

After the ride your screen brings up an option to tip, with three amounts to choose from. Then you get an email receipt; I like Lyft's better than Ubers, it's simpler and shorter. Also, Uber sends two receipts for each ride; the first one before the tip, then an updated one after you tip. Lyft just sends one. You have to have WiFi turned on; since I use unlimited data and not WiFi, remembering to turn it on and off was the only thing I didn't like.

.Sometimes I had to made a brief stop somewhere on my place to somewhere else; there is a place to enter two destinations They waited or drove around the block if there was no place to wait.

A Lyft driver told me Lyft was better than Uber but wouldn't say why, just that he used to work for Uber, and knew other Lyft drivers who had also left Uber.